The time to fight for our survival is now. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better than Pizza Pockets and Dr. Pepper.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2014-08-16, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
SArais
Corporal

The time to fight for our survival is now.

Brothers of Vanu.
Slavist Pigs of Terran.
'MURICAs of Conglomerate.

Today I stand before you in a simplistic manner, to speak to you. Today I speak of keeping this gem alive, this shining star. Auraxis needs you. Planetside needs you. We need you. For today, we all are now brothers in one simple goal: Revive Planetside 1.

Today is the day we rise again from the ashes, and we look unto the face of death and laugh upon it. Today is the day that we look upon our hacker opressors and say NO MORE! And deny them the satisfaction of killing the game.

Planetside is a one of a kind game, and if you belive we cannot revive it, then you are just as bad as the hackers. You nay-sayers are henceforth unimportant to us, and are to be regarded as dirt beneath the boots of our glorious refusal to back down.

Planetside was great once, and it should and will be once more again. 11 years. Eleven. That's slightly over half of how old DOOM is, 20. This is an accomplishment gentlemen. If we fight, we can secure the future, If we fight, we can win this battle, and see planetside returned to its former glory.

Do not lose hope, battle brothers. For if you fight, and take action, rather than merely discussing it, we will be known. We must increase our volume.
Old 2014-08-16, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
GodlessHeretic
Private

Re: The time to fight for our survival is now.

I'd want to the game to die just so you will shut the hell up.

Aside from that, i'm not getting started.
Old 2014-08-16, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
SArais
Corporal

Bah. Then you are no better than the hackers and deserve nothing more than terrible COD rehashes. Go play PS2 if you like it so much.
Old 2014-08-16, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

I'm with ya.
Old 2014-08-16, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SArais
Corporal

The simplest of rainstorms can start the worst landslides.

Glad to have you on-board. Get anyone in-game and not-in-game to help out.
Old 2014-08-17, 12:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
KingFeraligatr
Private

Show me some progress first. There's almost no people and most newbs don't stay for long. The game is plagued by hackers (mostly VS) and bugs. An entire piece of content is broken. And SOE is its usual apathetic self. Unless you can get SOE to care enough (yeag right) to support this game or release the source code/assets, there's not much time left for this game. As much as I have gotten attached to the game, I've realized it's mostly futile to get much people to come in with hackers and bugs abound. No one needs to suffer through it. Show me some progress then I might do spreading of the word. Otherwise I'll stick to playing this game every couple of days as I do at the time of typing. Because it's hard to want to advertise a game with tons of hackers, bugs, an apathetic owner, etc.
Old 2014-08-17, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
SArais
Corporal

I am the one who is rallying. Progress will be achieved underneath one banner. If you join us, the progress can be made. We need to see enough people grouped together under the same cause before we can make our move.

We shall have our unity one collective banner.
It shall be our duty to revive this game.
And it shall be our destiny to succeed.

Last edited by SArais; 2014-08-17 at 11:19 AM.
Old 2014-08-17, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
GodlessHeretic
Private

/facepalm

Wow...
Old 2014-08-17, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by KingFeraligatr View Post
Show me some progress first. There's almost no people and most newbs don't stay for long. The game is plagued by hackers (mostly VS) and bugs. An entire piece of content is broken. And SOE is its usual apathetic self. Unless you can get SOE to care enough (yeag right) to support this game or release the source code/assets, there's not much time left for this game. As much as I have gotten attached to the game, I've realized it's mostly futile to get much people to come in with hackers and bugs abound. No one needs to suffer through it. Show me some progress then I might do spreading of the word. Otherwise I'll stick to playing this game every couple of days as I do at the time of typing. Because it's hard to want to advertise a game with tons of hackers, bugs, an apathetic owner, etc.
Yeah the true issue here is getting through to SOE.

They said they wouldn't do any more content development but Core Combat being broken and the Wasp/Striker bugs should be fixed.

If those were fixed I think that the game could be revived with a simple blast email to all SOE/PSU accounts a few days before the 11th year anniversary.

Releasing the source code is less likely since I don't think SOE has ever done that. If I remember correctly, the Star Wars Galaxies Emulator is not based on SOE's source code for the game, right? How did that even happen? Or did SOE support it? I don't know too much about that.

The real problem with the launch of PS1 going free-to-play was no one knew about it. Only people who lurked on PSU forums or SOE official forums (which is to say not that many) knew about it. SOE and PSU claimed to email accounts but just how many accounts is unknown. I never received an email with the news, I only knew about it because I stalked the Twitter accounts of SOE people.

It really does have to be a blast email to every account that has ever had any involvement with PlanetSide. If only the longest time veterans know about it being free, then the few very old players/new players that come into the game have a hard time, skill-wise, competing against the veterans. Its not fun to be new to PlanetSide 1 when 95% of the rest of the playerbase is already extremely good and you're still getting the hang of aiming. There has to be enough low-skill players so that they can actually get kills and have fun long enough to start progressing.

Oh yeah and not to mention figuring out how to download the damn game when it went free was also hard.

So yeah, basically the game-breaking bugs mentioned above and emails have a shot at reviving the game.

If SOE did that and the game still died, I think it would be a safe bet to say that we should give up. Don't think its very likely the source code will get released, ever, since PlanetSide 2 is now around.
Old 2014-08-19, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Huntsab
Sergeant

The OP thinks he is Magneto
Old 2014-08-19, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
SArais
Corporal

No, the OP merely believes that planetside is still salvageable.

It cannot be done by a mere small cluster of people.
Old 2014-08-20, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
Yeah the true issue here is getting through to SOE.

They said they wouldn't do any more content development but Core Combat being broken and the Wasp/Striker bugs should be fixed.

If those were fixed I think that the game could be revived with a simple blast email to all SOE/PSU accounts a few days before the 11th year anniversary.

Releasing the source code is less likely since I don't think SOE has ever done that. If I remember correctly, the Star Wars Galaxies Emulator is not based on SOE's source code for the game, right? How did that even happen? Or did SOE support it? I don't know too much about that.

The real problem with the launch of PS1 going free-to-play was no one knew about it. Only people who lurked on PSU forums or SOE official forums (which is to say not that many) knew about it. SOE and PSU claimed to email accounts but just how many accounts is unknown. I never received an email with the news, I only knew about it because I stalked the Twitter accounts of SOE people.

It really does have to be a blast email to every account that has ever had any involvement with PlanetSide. If only the longest time veterans know about it being free, then the few very old players/new players that come into the game have a hard time, skill-wise, competing against the veterans. Its not fun to be new to PlanetSide 1 when 95% of the rest of the playerbase is already extremely good and you're still getting the hang of aiming. There has to be enough low-skill players so that they can actually get kills and have fun long enough to start progressing.

Oh yeah and not to mention figuring out how to download the damn game when it went free was also hard.

So yeah, basically the game-breaking bugs mentioned above and emails have a shot at reviving the game.

If SOE did that and the game still died, I think it would be a safe bet to say that we should give up. Don't think its very likely the source code will get released, ever, since PlanetSide 2 is now around.
SWGEMU wrote all of their own code for the game. When they asked SOE they told them they "lost" it.

Honestly, I don't find that hard to believe or surprising.

On the topic of reviving planetside someone would have to do about the same. SOE won't give anyone the code, and they aren't going to even put 1 second into helping this tiny profitless community.

Even with a perfectly working product it would be a stretch to save Planetside. Although, I will definitely log in for some community days if they are scheduled.

Last edited by Logit; 2014-08-20 at 02:17 PM.
Old 2014-08-25, 05:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Huntsab
Sergeant

The game will survive as they have stated it will run for free for the foreseeable future. The main problems are players, namely hackers and lamers. Hackers are making people logg off in droves. Then you get lamers who play the game as if it is 2004. They steam roll 3 enemy, said enemy quits because it is frustrating not being able to defend against spawn campers and gen droppers.

If people managed the fights. Yes, it's down to you to access the battle and work out a strategy for keeping it going. How about people think about what might put the enemy off? Because later when others log in and see the server empty, they just log off again. If there is pop then people stay and you get a snowball effect.

Think about how you can prolong the fights.
Old 2014-08-25, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Dominion
Private

Oh please :P You haven't been on in 10 days you hypocrite
Old 2014-08-25, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

The problem is the hackers. Seriously, can't go 5 mins without meeting one. Once they get dealt with the game can survive. But the hackers are keeping it dead.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion