"Premium Features" Speculation! - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where Hamma answers quotes once a year
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-01-04, 05:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: "Premium Features" Speculation!

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
I'd like to point out that skills being purchasable would per definition be "pay to win" as they'd get specific combat advantages over others. That is supposed to be a no-no (pay for cosmetics only!). I'd also like to point out that Higby stated that over loooong periods of time you would be able to train all skills (not sure if that also means having access to all certs... hope not). I cannot imagine that on top of getting there slower, your access would be further restricted or in fact reduced. That would definitely feel like a set back, in fact it would probably feel as if SOE is punishing you for stopping to give them money.

Punishing players for stopping to sub in that sense would not make them eager to return to a subscription as they'd feel cheated and forced back into purchasing a subscription.

As for what else you could get for a premium account? How about access to PlanetSide 1?
Having more skills or been able to buy them would mean you're more versatile, side grades and different weapons attachments also do not grant more power, perhaps to a specific playstyle they would, but they also have their downsides, so they offer no overall increase in power. Most people and the devs agree with that.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-04, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Having more skills or been able to buy them would mean you're more versatile, side grades and different weapons attachments also do not grant more power, perhaps to a specific playstyle they would, but they also have their downsides, so they offer no overall increase in power. Most people and the devs agree with that.
Certainly more versatile, but I'm talking about having gone over a certain treshold in equipment/skills and then being reduced back to a former state because you stopped subbing. That would certainly feel like a downgrade especially if you just modelled everything for your playstyle using those skills, regardless if the "overall power" is more or less equal (pretty much doubting equality is that guaranteable, look at Cycler <--> Gauss discussions in the past: minimal difference, big impact on weapon selection). Though personally I'd call a higher degree in versatility or adaptability a combat advantage.

Either way, I would imagine that it is never a good idea to take away access to someone's toys in a f2p game, when others do have access to it for they may cry over the loss and premium noobs.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-01-04 at 06:04 AM.
Old 2012-01-04, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Knocky
Major

Common sense says that if there is nothing that a majority of players find worth paying for....then this "free" game will disappear.

Whatever they need to do to keep the game going they should. If the freeloaders whine about something that they perceive as pay-to-win, then screw em.
Old 2012-01-04, 06:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Figment
Lieutenant General

Premium would be worth paying for just for the experience multiplier for most people. Reductions of what you obtained would be silly.

Imagine if you had a fodder account, upgraded it, got Br 40 Cr5, but then stopped subbing but continued to play for free and would be reduced back to Br6/12 Cr2. Or if you stopped subbing and continued to be Cr5 while other fodders would just be Br6/12 Cr2 max.

You think there'd only be a little whining about that?
Old 2012-01-04, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
SKYeXile
Major General

Certainly more versatile, but I'm talking about having gone over a certain treshold in equipment/skills and then being reduced back to a former state because you stopped subbing. That would certainly feel like a downgrade especially if you just modelled everything for your playstyle using those skills, regardless if the "overall power" is more or less equal (pretty much doubting equality is that guaranteable, look at Cycler <--> Gauss discussions in the past: minimal difference, big impact on weapon selection). Though personally I'd call a higher degree in versatility or adaptability a combat advantage.

Either way, I would imagine that it is never a good idea to take away access to someone's toys in a f2p game, when others do have access to it for they may cry over the loss and premium noobs.
They can take away incentives when you unsub for sure, but if you buy a skill or skill unlock, whatever they want to call it they cant take it away. This is why BFR's stayed in PS1, people paid for them.

I doubt that you will see your BR reduced when you unsub, SOE has always provided incentives to subbed players in their other games, not level unlocks, i cant see PS2 been different.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-04, 09:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
They can take away incentives when you unsub for sure, but if you buy a skill or skill unlock, whatever they want to call it they cant take it away. This is why BFR's stayed in PS1, people paid for them.

I doubt that you will see your BR reduced when you unsub, SOE has always provided incentives to subbed players in their other games, not level unlocks, i cant see PS2 been different.
If this is the case, wouldn't it make more sense to not sub and just buy everything you want from the cash shop?
Old 2012-01-04, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
CutterJohn
Colonel

I'd like to point out that skills being purchasable would per definition be "pay to win" as they'd get specific combat advantages over others. That is supposed to be a no-no (pay for cosmetics only!).
By that reasoning any non cosmetic benefit given to a subscription is also pay to win.

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
If this is the case, wouldn't it make more sense to not sub and just buy everything you want from the cash shop?
Station pass, for starters. Get a lot of game for your money.

Aside from that.. Yes, buying from the shop would be the better deal since its indefinite access, and after a certain point, it would be cheaper than subscription.

My guess is that subscription will just grant you access to consumables in the store, like a 30 day xp/training speed/resource gathering boost, with subscription being a slightly better deal than purchasing them a la carte from the store. Rather like how the 6 month subs are a bit cheaper than 1 month.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-01-04 at 09:43 AM.
Old 2012-01-04, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
FriendlyFire
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Buying from the Cash Shop is the ideal situation for SOE. Subs are just the icing on the cake.

I am certain, anything obtained during "Subscription" will still be active when the Sub ends.
Old 2012-01-04, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Hobitt
Corporal

A subscription could offer discounts at the cashshop or special offers + monthly amount of station cash
Old 2012-01-04, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Coreldan
Colonel

I like that idea. APBs premium gives you 20% discount off of everything sold in the marketplace.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-01-04, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Knightwyvern
First Sergeant

I'm bringing this over from kklkit's post on the PC Gamer preview article thread:
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/microtransactions

IMO pretty much sums this topic up excellently.
Old 2012-01-04, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

Yes, I think that this video is excellent (it's been posted somewhere around here recently besides your post just now).

I think that if Higby and T-Ray and all the awesome Planetside 2 crew members take note of this video and closely observe the League of Legends Free-2-Play model, I think this game will flourish.

And i WANT it to flourish. And I have a wallet! Please let me use it!

~Zachariah
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion