"Point popups" - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Making America skinny, one slap at a time.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-08, 08:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

"Point popups"

I noticed 2 things from this.

1. Every time I saw that pop up (the +100 per kill, +25 for an assist, etc.) at the GDC play session it made me cringe. That was alot of cringing. When im playing, every 30 or so seconds if i saw a big yellow number pop up it would start to get on my nerves(I even prefered hardcore mode in CoD4 because the lack of the popup). Please either remove it or put it in an out of the way area (to the side/bottom etc) or make it optional. This may just be my opinion, but after the first week or so, the EXP values will be so large to unlock something that each individual kill wouldn't make that much of an impact on your overall progress, it is more about session totals that really had any impact. Kind of like the system they had in PS1 (I'm talking that bar on the bottom that you had to turn on that showed session time, KDR, BEP and CEP)

A replacement that I would like to see is a small, out of the way, and optional HUD element that totaled EXP for the session, with every kill/assits/heal/whatever gives exp highlighting a +50 on that bar, before switching back to the session total

2.The other thing i noticed was that the kills looked like they all had the same value. One feature I LOVED in planetside was the longer a character was alive the higher his experience value was sort of a "bounty" system and the feeling you got after taking out a 5K EXP kill 1 on 1 felt great. another pro of this was it sort of inhibited spawn camping. what was the point of just tube camping if you only got 1 or 2 experience for each kill.

The +100 markers are a staple in modern shooters, providing the short term instant gratification that most gamers have come to enjoy, but they don't belong in planetside. Planetside is not about the short term, hence the whole "persistence" thing you may have heard about in the game, so a short term EXP counter is not necessary. IMO, a less obnoxiously in-your-face session EXP total-er that doesn't interfere with the immersion would be preferred

TLDR: read the last paragraph
Old 2012-03-08, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Death2All
Major

Misc Info
Re: "Point popups"

I too found that the exp pop ups to be annoying and very CoD esque. I thought the exp value showing in the chatbox worked perfectly fine, didn't need numbers and shit constantly spamming in my face.

This is alpha also, so those exp values may all be set to the same number because they haven't yet integrated that system yet...Or maybe no one was alive long enough for the XP to increase? May 50 or 100 xp is the minimum, I don't recall what the exact number was from the video.

I hope they do integrate the same exp system, the longer you're alive/more kills you got the more exp you were worth, as you said, it made killing a tank that was alive forever and then getting 5K exp so satisfying.

If everyone is worth 50-100 exp I will puke.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-03-08, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Graywolves
General

The idea of point pop up is that it gives players immediate gratification for players and makes killing other players feel even better since flashy points pop up telling you how you were rewarded.

I personally don't like it and feel that the reinforced satisfaction loses its effect quickly.

I wouldn't mind being able to toggle it off. Not a big deal if you can turn it off or move it.
Old 2012-03-08, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ailos
Contributor
Major

I am also kinda skeptical about those XP popups, and given the option, would prefer them off. I don't think it's a bad idea to make that an optional UI element - perhaps default as on (so all the CoD kiddies feel at home), but one that us vets will turn off ('cos you know you'll be messing with the settings anyway).

I, too, am a big fan of the dynamic XP value system that was in PS1. Killing a tank that's killed your entire squad and getting 5k XP for it is a lot more satisfying that those litle "mario coins" popups, IMO.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-03-08, 08:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bags
Lieutenant General

PS1 told you how much exp you got.
Old 2012-03-08, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

I'd rather just have a scrolling list of EXP you get above your health and ammo.
Old 2012-03-08, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
XPquant
Sergeant

I really hope there is an option to disable all the exp spam.
Old 2012-03-08, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Yes, but it was never in the way. Also satisfying to get anywhere from 1-3000xp per kill, not some set in stone cliche +50 or +100 in bold yellow text..

Anyway, I hate things like this that just flash up on your screen. They're in the way and they get very annoying. ESPECIALLY the Double kill. MULTI KILL. M-M-M-M MONSTER KILL KILL KILL.....
Old 2012-03-08, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
SUBARU
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by krnasaur View Post
I noticed 2 things from this.

1. Every time I saw that pop up (the +100 per kill, +25 for an assist, etc.) at the GDC play session it made me cringe. That was alot of cringing. When im playing, every 30 or so seconds if i saw a big yellow number pop up it would start to get on my nerves(I even prefered hardcore mode in CoD4 because the lack of the popup). Please either remove it or put it in an out of the way area (to the side/bottom etc) or make it optional. This may just be my opinion, but after the first week or so, the EXP values will be so large to unlock something that each individual kill wouldn't make that much of an impact on your overall progress, it is more about session totals that really had any impact. Kind of like the system they had in PS1 (I'm talking that bar on the bottom that you had to turn on that showed session time, KDR, BEP and CEP)

A replacement that I would like to see is a small, out of the way, and optional HUD element that totaled EXP for the session, with every kill/assits/heal/whatever gives exp highlighting a +50 on that bar, before switching back to the session total

2.The other thing i noticed was that the kills looked like they all had the same value. One feature I LOVED in planetside was the longer a character was alive the higher his experience value was sort of a "bounty" system and the feeling you got after taking out a 5K EXP kill 1 on 1 felt great. another pro of this was it sort of inhibited spawn camping. what was the point of just tube camping if you only got 1 or 2 experience for each kill.

The +100 markers are a staple in modern shooters, providing the short term instant gratification that most gamers have come to enjoy, but they don't belong in planetside. Planetside is not about the short term, hence the whole "persistence" thing you may have heard about in the game, so a short term EXP counter is not necessary. IMO, a less obnoxiously in-your-face session EXP total-er that doesn't interfere with the immersion would be preferred

TLDR: read the last paragraph
Thank you +1

Watching the video i kept waiting to here a silly voice, like you here in an arcade game saying " PowER UP !"

What i dont get is ,I hear the Devs talking up PS1 in every interview they do,But they do all they can to change it in to BF or COD.
Old 2012-03-08, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
PrISM
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
In the chatbox, not floating in the middle of the screen like most games today. It's a terrible idea.
Old 2012-03-08, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Yutty
Sergeant

Originally Posted by XPquant View Post
I really hope there is an option to disable all the exp spam.
Hopefully this happens. I don't need some numbers popping up tell me how great i am i get gratification from just seeing a person drop. Same with the who killed who at the side. or at least allow us to make change the transparency so its not cluttering the screen as much.
Old 2012-03-08, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
DaddyTickles
Sergeant

But if that is what it takes to get and maintain a large playerbase?

Seems to me Higby is just using existing FPS memes to pull more audience.

Can't blame him.
Old 2012-03-08, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
I am also kinda skeptical about those XP popups, and given the option, would prefer them off. I don't think it's a bad idea to make that an optional UI element - perhaps default as on (so all the CoD kiddies feel at home), but one that us vets will turn off ('cos you know you'll be messing with the settings anyway).
So far I like this solution best. Way to make both people happy.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-03-08, 09:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Vancha
Colonel

As with everything, it's best to give people options (if possible). Personally I'd prefer this to having it spam my chat box, but then I'd also prefer having no message at all. I know most people like to keep track of how close they are to the next level, but I prefer not to think or know about it.
Old 2012-03-08, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Drakkonan
Corporal

I vote for the battlefield 2 option. Grey, unobtrusive text in the corner, only instead of just say "you killed so-and-so", it'd say "you killed so-and-so +100" or better yet, "+100 you killed so-and-so".
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion