"Suicide" buttons and means to suicide. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where maturity is overrated. Noob.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should we be allowed to die like an Emo?
Yes. 26 30.95%
No. 58 69.05%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-10, 03:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

"Suicide" buttons and means to suicide.

I don't want autorun, I want autojugtrot. But seriously though and to the post at hand:

Do we need a suicide button or a console command that allows suiciding implemented into the game?

Hint: We need not, keep it classic. I would especially love engis to not have any means for suiciding, so when they bail out of a burning jet they have to walk all the way through to the nearest base, but that's my perverted phantasy and wishful thinking.
Hint: The absence of /suicide command does not necessarily mean the absence of /stuck command.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-04-10 at 03:06 AM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-10, 03:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: "Suicide" buttons and means to suicide.

I think Planetside got this one right.

- Give us deconstruct at a spawn area to spawn somewhere else
- Give us recall to get back to a spawn area when out in the field randomly (put it on a reasonable cooldown and give it a countdown before it activates)
- Allow us to blow ourselves up with C4 if we don't want to wait for the cooldown.

I dont' like the idea of a /suicide. Its not necessary if we have the above options available to us. I think /suicide would just get abused by people who wanted to grief others by denying them the kill. Although if /suicide had a cooldown it might take the place of the old boomer method of rapidly relocating.
Old 2012-04-10, 03:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
That one noob
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post

- Give us recall to get back to a spawn area when out in the field randomly (put it on a reasonable cooldown and give it a countdown before it activates)
- Allow us to blow ourselves up with C4 if we don't want to wait for the cooldown.

I dont' like the idea of a /suicide. Its not necessary if we have the above options available to us. I think /suicide would just get abused by people who wanted to grief others by denying them the kill. Although if /suicide had a cooldown it might take the place of the old boomer method of rapidly relocating.
Agreed. If we want to get out of a sticky situation, we are going to have to do it the old fashioned way. Or find the nearest puddle of water to crouch in, assuming we can still drown ourselves.

Last edited by That one noob; 2012-04-10 at 03:41 AM.
Old 2012-04-10, 04:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post

What Malorn said. If you really want to suicide though, stop failing and plan ahead.
Old 2012-04-10, 05:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Really depends if there's the possibility of a 10 minute swim situation ever occurring. If there is then suicide is a necessity, don't offer it and I'll just alt+f4 to achieve the same effect anyway, I'm not swimming for 10 minutes after a gal goes down in water.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-04-10, 05:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Knocky
Major

/Suicide is good for one thing only.

Beta testing.
Old 2012-04-10, 05:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Redshift
Major

There has to be a way of dying or getting back into the fight if there are any places you could concievably get stranded for 4-5 mins. Or people will log off.
Old 2012-04-10, 06:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

I don't like the option as death being the best way to get back in a fight. That just pormotes mindless zerg rushing. I personally think death should hold a higher penalty so it makes more tactical sense to fall back. Then again there is always the recall.
Old 2012-04-10, 06:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

I'd rather see /recall with a timer depending on where you are, like PS1. I don't think 30 seconds of standing still is too much to ask if you want to suicide in enemy territory, and it would prevent people casually suiciding just to escape a bad situation.
Old 2012-04-10, 06:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Knocky
Major

You are not getting a /suicide button.

There are already too many idiots that find ways to kill themselves already just to keep you from getting a kill.
Old 2012-04-10, 07:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
kaffis
Contributor
Major

As above, I don't mind a timer-limited means to respawn when you're in the boonies and don't fancy the run. So long as it forces you to remain a stationary sitting duck for long enough for a nearby opponent to kill you, I don't have a problem with it as a convenience/bug (stuck in the world, anybody) mitigating tool.

But suicide slash commands or hotkeys that can be used in the thick of combat to deny somebody a kill just enables bad sportsmanship.
Old 2012-04-10, 07:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Stormhall

Speaking of suicide can we have Kamikaze planes that would be so funny or how about we attach grenades to our hands and run into the enemy. Lolz would be so funny.
Old 2012-04-10, 08:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Knocky
Major

Originally Posted by Stormhall View Post
Speaking of suicide can we have Kamikaze planes that would be so funny or how about we attach grenades to our hands and run into the enemy. Lolz would be so funny.
Please go back to school. Your 3rd grade teacher must be missing you by now.
Old 2012-04-10, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Kran De Loy
Captain

I really need to learn to read more than just the OP before I vote on a poll. :/

That being said I'm all for Malorn's schik
Old 2012-04-10, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
PoisonTaco
First Sergeant

Take out grenade and throw it at your feet. All out of grenades? Walk up to an enemy base and ask them to help solve your life "problem".
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion