"Speeding it up" - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Look! A drifter! Let's kill him!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you like the idea of "speeding up" the game
Yes 48 22.22%
No 76 35.19%
Too early to have an opinion 85 39.35%
I don't care either way 7 3.24%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-18, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Shamrock
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: "Speeding it up"

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
i really hope the ttk is just an alpha thing to compensate for low pops.

it really has to be longer to fully enjoy all the weapon features of planetside 2.
this is my only concern right now, that could be a total gamebreaker and spoil the planetside experience.

i don´t want medics to ONLY be useful as revivers because there are only full health soldiers or dead soldiers, and nothing in between.
Couldn't agree more. As far as I could see TB was wearing heavy exo as a VS at one point and he died in a split second. Dying that quickly means no time to react, to return fire or take cover. Some of the best fire-fights I have been in is where I have been clipped by a few shots but still had a fighting chance because I had time to run for cover.

Old 2012-05-18, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
deltase
Corporal

If by speeding you mean fast TTK? Yeah i don't like it at all. The slower it is the better, i say. But things like Jump pads that take you from one point to another for very short time are a good feature. So what should be slowed and what should be made a bit faster? Yes the question lies in the overall balance of the pace of the game. Some things should be slow to do, others maybe a bit faster. I must be in game and played at least a few hours to say what should and what shouldn't.
Old 2012-05-18, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

I loved the slow pace of PS1 but I'm not too worried about the fast TTK for infantry in this new game.

By not worried I mean I think I'll like it anyway but I do agree it could stand to be a bit longer. Really the TB video made it look almost exactly like BF3. Maybe making it 150% of what it is in that video would do nicely.

However, vehicles is a different story. I am VERY concerned about the TTK on tanks. In PS1 it was hella fun cause you could last in a fight for a LONG time, unless of course you were targetted by many many enemies and moved in too far (basically when the enemy teamed up on you... isn't this supposed to be a game about teamwork?). I remember epic 1v1 tank fights. As a magrider it I could chase a vangaurd but it would take at least 10 shots to take it out or more. It was fun because there was enough armor to duke it out and really skirmish. BF3 vehicles are in no way as fun, the only reason they have any survivability is the fact you can repair them so easily. you can even repair them on the move and under fire. The entire Planetside vehicle experience will be broken if MBTs take each other out in 3 or 4 hits. And honestly all the things Totalbiscuit was saying about how great it is that infantry now have a fighting chance against vehicles I totally disagree with.

Infantry shouldn't have a fighting chance against a vehicle.
The only way they should have a fighting chance against a vehicle is with NUMBERS. One guy with a rocket launcher shouldnt be able to drop an MBT. You should need a few guys to do that. Once again. Promote teamwork.
Old 2012-05-18, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Bromaxulon View Post
I can't count the number of time i snuck up on a HA user in ps empty a clip into the back of their head just to have them turn around and kill me because they basically had " bigger boots" then me.
Well that is what different classes are for. If you wear the heavy armor, you are supposed to kick light infantrys asses in 1on1 straight duels. Light classes have other advantages (speed, weapons for higher distance with less recoil etc) and obviously you were not able to play them out so the other guy just killed you. A good Shooter plays like Chess and you have to think what you can beat with your current equipment and what might be not suitable to try. Thats what makes it tactical.
Onehitkills make tactics unimportant while longer fights make tactics and skills crucial to success. Thats why I like longer battles.
Old 2012-05-18, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Since TTK seems to be the topic, does anyone of you guys remember how many boomers it took to take out a tank?

Edit:

Originally Posted by Sturmhardt View Post
Well that is what different classes are for. If you wear the heavy armor, you are supposed to kick light infantrys asses in 1on1 straight duels. Light classes have other advantages (speed, weapons for higher distance with less recoil etc) and obviously you were not able to play them out so the other guy just killed you. A good Shooter plays like Chess and you have to think what you can beat with your current equipment and what might be not suitable to try. Thats what makes it tactical.
Onehitkills make tactics unimportant while longer fights make tactics and skills crucial to success. Thats why I like longer battles.
You are missing his point completely, he WAS using tactics (element of surprise a.k.a. an ambush) and not engaging headon "straight 1v1", yet still got facerolled.

If that was because he was bad or RExo took to much punishment is open for debate, but his point was atleast a little valid.

Last edited by captainkapautz; 2012-05-18 at 12:25 PM.
Old 2012-05-18, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Irish
Private

I feel the game can always naturally speed up when there is action to be had. but always logging in and having that instant gratification feeling of transportation, or gaining kills faster might get old after a while.

planetside always had, IMO, a fast enough style of play during the chaotic action moments. But where i had a fantastic time was the 5 on 5 tower skirmish in the middle of no where, or the 1v1 sniper duel.

i would hate for them to get lost to the idea that small skirmishes, or hiking a mile to get into that awesome spot would not appeal to the masses.

i always thought a fast style of gameplay catered to the younger crowd, whereas older more mature players enjoyed the strategy and HUNT that went into planetside 1
Old 2012-05-18, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Irish View Post
i always thought a fast style of gameplay catered to the younger crowd, whereas older more mature players enjoyed the strategy and HUNT that went into planetside 1
My feeling too. Maybe us old ones just need to take a chill pill and accept that the kiddies can have their fun with the game play changes, but we know we will get more fun by waiting for the bus/gal in the courtyard and flying out with 20 team-mates on a war-turning spec ops mission.
Old 2012-05-18, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Dreamcast
Major

The TTK is perfect....Killzone 2 clone in TTK and gunplay.

As for how fast it is to get to action..Im not sure but it looks good so far...I guess if it shouldn't be one second respond are you spawn right in to action but I have to see how it is in the beta.
Old 2012-05-18, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
And honestly all the things Totalbiscuit was saying about how great it is that infantry now have a fighting chance against vehicles I totally disagree with.

Infantry shouldn't have a fighting chance against a vehicle.
The only way they should have a fighting chance against a vehicle is with NUMBERS. One guy with a rocket launcher shouldnt be able to drop an MBT. You should need a few guys to do that. Once again. Promote teamwork.
Agreed. Why would I want to play as tank driver if I feared every inf sneaking around the corner? I want to feel massive and invincible until I find a good match (=enemy tank).

Also where's the roleplaying fun if in a squad everyone can just open fire on a tank without having to fear its superiority to ordinary foot soldiers?
If I'm a squad leader I want to order my anti tank soldier to take it down while the rest of us gives him cover.
Old 2012-05-18, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
moosepoop
Captain

judging from the alpha videos the ttk is not below bf3, its just as fast. i think the ttk needs to be lowered. not neccesarily to a snail crawl like planetside 1, but still need to be lower, otherwise it would be unplayable in large pop situations.
Old 2012-05-18, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Bags
Lieutenant General

When it enters beta with A LOT OF PEOPLE PLAYING, I imagine they're realize their current TTKs, at least for the tanks, are ridiculously low.
Old 2012-05-18, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by MacXXcaM View Post
Agreed. Why would I want to play as tank driver if I feared every inf sneaking around the corner? I want to feel massive and invincible until I find a good match (=enemy tank).

Also where's the roleplaying fun if in a squad everyone can just open fire on a tank without having to fear its superiority to ordinary foot soldiers?
If I'm a squad leader I want to order my anti tank soldier to take it down while the rest of us gives him cover.
Thank you.
If they put so much emphasis on a class system for infantry what is the difference when it comes to vehicles? Really in a basic way being in an MBT is as much a "class" as being a LA or Medic. Why do people feel everything should be able to counter everything else??? Tanks should DESTROY infantry 1 on 1 unless the pilot is an absolute idiot. You shouldn't be able to kill a tank as a soldier, you should have to rely on the armor columns of your fellow team mates. Each vehicle, soldier, and aircraft should fit a role and should have to rely on each others capabilities to survive. When a tank rolls in infantry should duck and cover. they should have to call in aid from their own MBTs or rely on numbers to overwhelm the tank.
Old 2012-05-18, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
My feeling too. Maybe us old ones just need to take a chill pill and accept that the kiddies can have their fun with the game play changes, but we know we will get more fun by waiting for the bus/gal in the courtyard and flying out with 20 team-mates on a war-turning spec ops mission.
but this cannot be applied to the ttk!
if everything is almost one shot one kill, we old players will have no time to relax. the transportation is of no concern to me. just like you said, let the kiddys spawn inside of the boiling pot while we take the oldschool method. but we cannot send the kiddys to die with one shot, and have the old long time to kill for us oldies.

it IS a thing that we will have to feel for ourselfes in beta, but i really think a longer ttk will multiply the joy of all the great features we have. even adhs call of duty kiddys will get it at some time. you know, it´s not only the ps vets that need to accept evolution... same applies to the bf and cod players coming over to ps2.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-05-18, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

I'll wait until beta. I can't judge the infantry vs tank argument because that guy in that tank did not have a squad of people around him working as a team. If I was in a squad with my friends in that situation they would had started shooting TB when he was falling from the sky.

Can't judge the TTK either because the map was being played like it was FFA, there wasn't a frontline and the game probably plays a lot different when there is one. And I like fast TTK, you can't make mistakes. Call fast ttk casual as you want, but if you make one mistake you are dead. Can't say the same for PS1 TTK. Slower is the more casual.

Last edited by JPalmer; 2012-05-18 at 01:19 PM.
Old 2012-05-18, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Bromaxulon
Private

Originally Posted by Sturmhardt View Post
Another poster pointed out what you missed from my post so I won't rehash that.

Most here that faster ttk will eliminate the "tactical" elements from the game. This is quite untrue, it just changes the tactical style.

What I mean by this is that things like suppress and flank and other modern infantry tactics will be much more valid. It becomes a game of position and movement, using infantry level tactics ( bounding overwatch etc) and less about spamming medpacks and carrying the right implants.

Sure most modern tactics worked in the original ps, it was a deep game in that sense, but when using sound tactics to get the jump on your opponent don't work because he has +1 armor or can hit f1 faster or just duck around a corner and heal(all infantry had med app and armor reps in ps1) the game feels less like epic advanced warfare and more like a traditional mmo.

Faster ttk and the improved gunplay will make battles even more engaging and tactical. You will have to think before you move because if you don't you die, much like a real battlefield and a lot more like chess then your example is.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion