A plea regarding bases, towers, and bunkers - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Drivers wanted
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-07, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

Re: A plea regarding bases, towers, and bunkers

Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
This to me is the epitome of faulty base features that needs the reform, its as if the walls were no more defensive then picket fences. Bases like castles are meant to employ walls as consequential part of base defense and the fact that most people in last game simply avoided their use as if it were the plaque warrants the needed change.

Very good point made there.
actually the walls worked perfectly. walls do one thing, prevent passing thats it. the walls did this, it funneld players to either the main or secondary gate or the back door. unless you were in a place (or a vs max) you had to do this.

im not sure how you see the walls failed to do their job. walls are not there to provide farther defence. you can add fortifacations to the walls to allow infantry cover up there, but thats not the wall, thats a sprate parts, its why castle walls have those fortifacations.
Old 2011-08-10, 03:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by opticalshadow View Post
im not sure how you see the walls failed to do their job
It's more an issue of what you're defending against. Castles, wagon circles, electric fences, whatever. The threat is always on the same plane as the installation. PS quickly evolved to have a fully horizontal and vertical threat but PS bases were designed from a horizontal, castle mindset.

Inherent to the design of modern military structures is a non-physical dome defense to protect against aerial threats. Really, with modern weapons, thick walls don't mean a whole lot. In PS, the walls were made indestructible while the aerial defenses were reduced to annoyances. An inversion of current military practice. As such, bailers and gal drops became common to circumvent medieval defensive strategy.

Ultimately, walls did their job and yet didn't. PlanetSide's Maginot Line. The enemy simply went around then and do now. The walls were there to provide defensive structures that the enemy couldn't pass and, for a time, did it well but, now, does it far less effectively.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2011-08-10, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
FriendlyFire
Sergeant

I agree that the bases should have the clear defensive advantage but the attacking players should be able to employ tactics to gain an advantage as well. Maybe PS2 bases could have a "deploy-able" style system for cover. Cover that requires player actions to create would be far more interesting than a bunch of random trees and rocks.
Old 2011-08-10, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Atuday
Master Sergeant

I'm with op on this. Some of the bases had trees way too close and most people who have played at those bases know this. PLEASE think very carefully the placement of objects around buildings this time because it has a huge effect on game play.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion