Mosquito 1.0 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Tribalwar.com: oops...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-11-17, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
KeviN
First Sergeant

Lightbulb Mosquito 1.0

The current mosquito needs to be fixed. No where in its description does it say anything about being an amazing, deadly killwhore vehicle. It's a recon aircraft, honestly! Harassers, lightnings, and ATVs are recon vehicles, and they don't rule the battlefield.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I remember a time when the skeeter 12mm had recoil. Back then it was used as it was made to be, for recon and rapid response / transportation. Now, it has a TTK on infantry of about one second. And if you spend any time with it, it's not that hard to learn to lead your shots.

FIX: Give the 12mm recoil, but drop the cert to two points. Reduce reaver rocket spam damage on infantry, but give it one centered 20mm gun (wasn't that what is was origanally supposed to be?) This way, the mosquito will be returned to a sane state, and the reaver will now be able to pick of infantry with its 20mm.

Thoughts?
Old 2004-11-17, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamorad
First Sergeant

no, mossie is fine the way it is.

See, the gun isn't that powerful, and it's mostly only the really good players you see killwhoring with it. It's not like the reaver, where any n00b can hop in and make a few kills.
Old 2004-11-17, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
KeviN
First Sergeant

Are we using the same vehicles? The mossie can kill in less than a second, from over 100m away. That seems powerful to me...
Old 2004-11-17, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
6thEdition
Ejaculator

I agree with this person. The Mosquito is too fantastic. I wish it to be ejaculated from this game! Well, at least nerfed against infantry a bitty.
Old 2004-11-17, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Hamorad
See, the gun isn't that powerful, and it's mostly only the really good players you see killwhoring with it. It's not like the reaver, where any n00b can hop in and make a few kills.
Once you get used to the way the vehicle moves and how fast the bullets go it's not too hard to get a lot of kills with it. You've just gotta make sure you don't pull it when there's an assload of anti-air and you'll be fine. I'm actually not sure which aircraft is better for racking up kills with to be honest. It's no wonder at all that air cav or just the mosquito cert itself is so popular.

Anyway, to the topic itself, the mosquito and reaver are the best bang-for-your-buck vehicle in Planetside, this is true, but I think people are too accustomed to them to change them up now. Killwhoring is a big part of the draw for a lot of people in PS, and these vehicles are the ideal ones to achieve that end. Making them worse than they are now in terms of offensive ability would unfortunately cause more unhappiness than it'll cure. As with 3rd person, it was a bad idea to have the mosquito in the game the way it is (it at one point didn't have a perfectly accurate gun, but then they decided it would be a good idea to change it early on), but it's an age-old issue, and people are so used to it by now that they can leave it be for a while and it'll be fine.
Old 2004-11-17, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Firegod1a
Private

Thumbs down

ok the rever dose need 2 be nerfed cause well its just 2 good for a feeken recon vec, just make the gun a lil less accurate and do a lil less damage
plez

-firegod1a

DARK LORD OF THE IMPERAL LEGIEON
Old 2004-11-17, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
mechaman
Sergeant Major

If you carry any type of empire specific AV when your outside then it really isn't hard to take down a skeeter. leave it as is.
Old 2004-11-17, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
KeviN
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by mechaman
If you carry any type of empire specific AV when your outside then it really isn't hard to take down a skeeter. leave it as is.
If it's any pilot that has more IQ points than cert points, it is hard to down one. A skeeter can AB away from any troop carried AV. Simply fly around an obstacle to lose the lock, wait a second, and come back in for another pass.

If nothing else, drop the damage per shot a bit. Seriously, we don't sit in a tower thinking, "OH NO!! A harasser!" Why should we for its airborne supposed equivalent?
Old 2004-11-17, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Untouchable
Private

The mosquito suits it's role perfectly in my opinion. It's a fast, lightly armored air vehicle with a rather weak 12mm machinegun (Being compared to other vehicular weaponry). Yes, if aimed perfectly the gun can kill infantry in 1-2 seconds, which is how it should be. I believe that a capable footsoldier should never be able to outgun a capable pilot in the open, and the mosquito displays this. Although assuming the person on foot has half a brain and uses a bit of cover to his advantage, he will probably come out on top.
Old 2004-11-17, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Untouchable
Although assuming the person on foot has half a brain and uses a bit of cover to his advantage, he will probably come out on top.
You should play infantry more. Even large trees on Ceryshen can be fairly easily strafed around. When you move as fast as the mosquito does and have a significant height advantage there really isn't any realistic for of cover from either the mosquito or reaver, save for being indoors. They're too fast and maneuverable to hide from, and when you also factor in the radar that let's them easily see where you're going, you don't stand much of a chance. Maybe if they couldn't hover in place you could take cover, but as it is, no, you can't. Your best bet is to try and place something between you and it to slow it down so that hopefully some AA will scare it off before it kills you.
Old 2004-11-17, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
DeepStrikeck
Sergeant Major

or you can do what i do, launch decis at it. 2-3 decis will down one and they are pretty damn easy to hit. after a while you can lead 'em and they will go down in flames
Old 2004-11-17, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

You all have it wrong, this is Skeeter 2.0, Skeeter 1.0 was far more noober friendly.

Old 2004-11-17, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
KeviN
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sobekeus
You all have it wrong, this is Skeeter 2.0, Skeeter 1.0 was far more noober friendly.
Clarify please?
Old 2004-11-17, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by DeepStrikeck
or you can do what i do, launch decis at it. 2-3 decis will down one and they are pretty damn easy to hit. after a while you can lead 'em and they will go down in flames
I don't believe that for a second.

But fortunately it's beside the point so there's no need to pursue it.
Old 2004-11-17, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by KeviN
Clarify please?
Certainly, a long time ago there was a thing we like to call a Balance Pass, before that the Skeeter's 12mm CoF was bigger, so it wasn't such a flying sniper rifle as it is now. But for some reason the devs decides 12mm guns needed no CoF, which while making them more accurate, made them much more difficult to aim with and still have decent control speeds.

The Skeeter was easier to use when you could use it like a flying mcg rather than a flying Bolt Driver.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion