: Game play. Link cutting? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Bad cop. No donut.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-11-08, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

: Game play. Link cutting?

Hi all just a quick idea, but I really think this could ad some dynamics to a game, and really add more reasons to fight in the open areas of Planetside 2.

Ok how this would work, and read before you post, as its not as simple as it may first sound.

Ok the links between bases have a sub station. And this substation if destroyed/hacked/turned off (whatever) would disarm the link between 2 bases. The substation could be in the form of many things, towers, small rooms, 2 floors buildings, small like the size of a drop pod, or whatever.

Now at first you may think hold on, this will just add a more frustrating aspect of base hacking.

But imagine this old map of Oshur is a map on PS2. Look at the links, if every link between bases had a substation, or even just a few bases had them like the capital, you will notice some of them run alongside a base, towers, some are hidden in trees, very close to 2 bases and tops of mountains etc. But the main point is they add more places to fight in the wilderness and around bases towers, some running quite close to the walls of bases/towers.

This also adds a really good need for more defenders, ever been to base when the hack has went through and just thought, there is far to many people here ill just shoot the wall well you could be outside the base defending the next substation. This could get very tactical. You could take one down close to a base you have, that links another 2 bases, not allowing the hack to go down untill they fight you for it.

Of course if you hack a base on both ends of the link and the substaion is taken down, then you would still have the hack, as that would get very annoying, and you would have to have some way of making only a large force be able to take them down. But imagine the link was like the internet, and the internet's substations. If you loose it you loose all the benefits of being linked to a base. If you know what I mean like fast spawning.

Also a well organised team could cut all links from one base, prolonging capturing of bases from say a pushing NC, TR or VS force.

Now I have seen mentioned that SOE are looking for more ways to bring the battle into the open, so its not just at bases you see fighting. Well link substations could be the answer.

This also gives smaller forces something to do, like 1/2 tanks and a few men.

ill edit the image to give you some idea of what it might look like.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by SuperMorto; 2011-11-08 at 01:26 PM.
Old 2011-11-09, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

Re: : Game play. Link cutting?

If I understand SOE correctly there will not be links between bases, simply hex squares you need to control, bringing battle into the open no matter what since each hex will have some kind of value.

Would be a cool idea if links did exist, but if I understand the dev's intentions this is kinda moot =\
Old 2011-11-09, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Crator
Major General

If I'm right there were no links in PS1 when it first came out. So ya, could happen, maybe... Just depends how that would fit into the hex system they already have I guess. We'll have to wait and see how it goes down in beta to really tell.

I'm all for idea on something to do while a hack goes through. I'm hoping the devs have already put some thought into it as well!
You could take one down close to a base you have, that links another 2 bases, not allowing the hack to go down untill they fight you for it.
Are you talking about sub-stations here? So you're saying the enemy must first capture surrounding sub-stations before they can re re-secure a hack on their base?
Old 2011-11-10, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
You could take one down close to a base you have, that links another 2 bases, not allowing the hack to go down untill they fight you for it.
Are you talking about sub-stations here? So you're saying the enemy must first capture surrounding sub-stations before they can re re-secure a hack on their base?
Yea, abit like a smaller base or tower or something, that in is the middle of the link. This would be a good reason to take a gen down or to completely break a base but not hack it. SO you could get to your link station.
Old 2011-11-10, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by RedKnights View Post
If I understand SOE correctly there will not be links between bases, simply hex squares you need to control, bringing battle into the open no matter what since each hex will have some kind of value.

Would be a cool idea if links did exist, but if I understand the dev's intentions this is kinda moot =
Yea I did read something about hex grids etc, but its just an idea to bring back some sort of link to bases. With the rise of the internet I think it would fit in nicely.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault