Lets start the discussion now - the future of PlanetSide - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: "Is it just me or do the TR's chicks boobs look bigger in that pic?" -Hamma
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2013-05-25, 05:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Sheppe
Private

Re: Lets start the discussion now - the future of PlanetSide

Been having real difficulty getting ingame to PS1 the last few days, near constant loss of connection, but only to PS1
Old 2013-05-25, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
ringring
Contributor
General

Odd, I've had no trouble, no loss of connection nor crashes whatsoever.
Old 2013-05-25, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

The PS2 devs are more competent and responsive than the PS1 devs ever were. Even though PS2 has some issues currently, it is already a better designed game than PS1 ever was, and with time will eclipse PS1 in every aspect. The only exception is that the gunplay in PS2 is obviously way more "modern" and fast-paced, whereas in PS1 it was sluggish with a high TTK and no headshots even. That element will probably never return.

But anyway, as someone who played PS1 from its earliest beta days until a number of years after release, I probably won't even waste my time downloading the client again for the free months. Good riddance to a bad game. The fate of PS1 is to remain stagnant and finally be turned off once enough of the weirdos who would actually pay for it finally get medicated for their tragic condition.

Last edited by Warborn; 2013-05-25 at 10:52 AM.
Old 2013-05-25, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Program
Sergeant

Warborn. Worst. Troll. Ever. I seriously don't know why you keep posting this crap on the PS1 forums if you don't care about the game at all. Do me a favor and get stuffed.

Credit for the sig goes to Wristel
Credit for the NC Medic logo goes to Xyntech
Old 2013-05-25, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Crator
Major General

Damn Warborn, that's horrible thing to say about fans of a game that we all played. I guess not everyone loved it as much as some but, really? I guess you hated it from the start and threw it in the trash right away and waited until PS2 came out? Of course gun play in PS2 is more modern. PS1 was created 10 years ago! And to boot was a MMO, created 10 years ago! Jeez....
Old 2013-05-25, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
ringring
Contributor
General

Warborn I have to say I logged into PS1 simply being a tourist and wanting to look at past battefields.

However, I played a bit and discovered I liked the infantry gameplay a lot better than that in ps2.

I'm not altogether sure why except:
ttk is profiled differently with shooting at range being less accurate, as a result you're more likely to move in close
perhaps as a result of 3rd person, but the infantry battle is more tactical
CQB when it happens is very twitchy and more involving than in PS2
there are a lot fewer guns and as a consequence the weapons of different factions are more distinct
the difference between good players and poor players is very marked, I think the faster ttk in ps2 flattens the differences out.

The downside though is the netcode (for want of a better word), it's obvious that has certainly been improved.

But I don't know why you're attempting to dump on PS1, at this stage it is not a threat to PS2, so there's no need to go all Rambo.
Old 2013-05-25, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Zulthus
Colonel

No need to feed the troll here, guys, move along.
Old 2013-05-25, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
GTGD
First Sergeant

He's his precious time trolling the PS1 boards instead of playing glorious PS2. Sounds like he's having so much of a blast on Indar that he would rather revisit horrible memories of a game he hates.
Old 2013-05-25, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Playing again the last days reminded me why i like it so much; The whole gameplay, visuals and mechanics feel like you are playing a soldier in a rts game. That's exactly the experience i am looking for in an online shooter, and ps1 just delivers it better for me.

And i take any medication that comes with it gladly. =)
Old 2013-05-25, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
vieric
Private

The fact that the game actually managed to exceed the expectations I had set for it speaks volumes, I'll be honest, I've never really disliked PS2, I felt it was an alright game, but no more than that, just alright. To me it felt like "another FPS" with an open world gimmick. Frankly, I actually found that nice, I don't like lobby-based shooters much. But, other than that the gameplay is pretty generic....I'll play PS2 if I want to play an FPS, just any FPS...that's about it. Personally, I feel it suffers from the philosophy most modern games seem to possess these days: If you need to think about anything past "pew pew pew, lol owned noob" you are doing something wrong. This notion saddens me deeply, I actually enjoy having to think, I feel rewarded when I win with my mind, not with some uninspired weapon that takes half a second to kill someone, minimal aim required.

PS1 on the other hand is quite unique, I particularly like the fact that while you can certainly just rush in and try to be rambo (you'll get hurt, but nothing's outright stopping you), you will go much much farther if you actually try to use your head a bit. All the weapons feel different from one another as well, and it makes me stop to think about which ones I should bring to a fight, whereas in PS2 A gun is pretty well a gun, an AR is an AR, a Shotgun is a Shotgun, they might have differences, but very rarely can you feel it in gameplay.

I also enjoy the fact that I am not constantly fodder for vehicle pilots, In PS2 It always felt like that if you played infantry you were nothing more than fish food for anyone who didn't. While I've been taken out by them In PS1 as well, it was usually my own fault, running through an open field on foot just isn't a smart move, go figure.
Old 2013-05-27, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Shogun
Contributor
General

so vieric, you are new to ps1?
i hope the ps2 devs keep luring here and see what some of their new players think!

your post didn´t surprise me, because i think exactly the same way! but i hope it surprises smed, higgles and t-ray!
you are so damn right about modern games. in my book "modern game" is a very very negative phrase already.

ps2 may have the better netcode and graphics technology, but in comparison to ps1 it feels like a cellphone game.
i even like the old gunplay more than the "modern" one. i know, i´m alone on this one, but i dislike the heavy recoil.
higby said, they stripped things like spitfires and auto-wallturrets because they wanted the players to fight each other and not against a game mechanic. but the heavy recoil is constant fighting against a gamemechanic that tries to disrupt your aim. FAIL.

so i really hope there is a kind of future for ps1 because ps2 will never deliver.
the f2p microtransaction model destroyed the distinctiveness of guns and the art style. and those two things are gone forever without any chance to come back. i hope, at least the rest of ps1´s epicness will be restored in ps2 after a while. but this will take years.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-27, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
higby said, they stripped things like spitfires and auto-wallturrets because they wanted the players to fight each other and not against a game mechanic.
Did he actually say that? I know they once mentioned the idea of putting AI into PS2 so I'm not certain he did. I agree about auto-wall turrets not being in-game but combat engineering deployables like spitfires are player placed for strategic purposes. So are mines/mine fields. They were used to secure an area for purposes of warning you when the enemy arrives and kill one off attackers.
Old 2013-05-27, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I don't think PlanetSide 1 has any true longevity left. After the six months is up, Gemini will be as empty as it was last month. What I'm hoping for is that it will leave a much bigger impact on the direction PS2 will go.

Old 2013-05-27, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
I don't think PlanetSide 1 has any true longevity left. After the six months is up, Gemini will be as empty as it was last month. What I'm hoping for is that it will leave a much bigger impact on the direction PS2 will go.
Smed says the 6 months just gives them more time to make it F2P. So I think we will see a cash shop before our free time is up. And being free to play available to everyone and not just ex-PS members will consistently bring in new blood keeping the populations healthy.
Old 2013-05-27, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

It is certainly possible, and I definitely won't be the one to bet against PS1. I'm just not seeing SOE following through.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion