Why SOE and PSU need to send out mass emails about the free time. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Must be over -3 to enter.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2013-05-23, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Why SOE and PSU need to send out mass emails about the free time.

I started a petition some time ago in order to collect signatures in support of making PlanetSide 1 free-to-play. There are a total of 339 signatures at this moment. The website I used (change.org) allows me to email everyone who signed the petition.

So far I have spoken with 10 people in-game and in PM that have thanked me for emailing them the news of the free time, as they would have otherwise not found out.

Those 10 people are just who I've spoken too that found out through my email. I don't know how many actually returned due to it, the number could be higher. I also blast emailed everyone on my outfit website, to which another five, possibly more, are returning.

10 people out of 339 is 3% (rounded up from 2.95%).

PSU and SOE have access to hundreds of thousands of accounts. Even if my very modest estimate of 3% people returning to try the game proves to be the case, that is still thousands of people that would return, enough to fill Gemini for sure, perhaps enough to warrant another server.

The only advertisement that this event got is what the community gave it plus the RadarX post on the PS2 boards which most people over there don't care about PS1 anyways. Then Hamma put up a news update.

There are thousands of people who don't check PSU or PS2 news anymore because they gave up on SOE. How are they to be contacted?

I'm urging everyone that's playing right now to email or contact everyone you possible can to get them back, but the best way to do it would be an email from SOE and PSU to former players.

Why would this be so hard to do?
Old 2013-05-23, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
KarrdeBRBU
Corporal

Re: Why SOE and PSU need to send out mass emails about the free time.

I'm not sure if SOE would go for it, but it would be simple for PSU to do it. vBulletin makes this very easy. You can send a simple mass email to all registered users. The question is if Hamma is ok doing that. Personally, it's related and it's pretty big news. Unless something big changes, I'm betting the next 6 months will probably be PS1's last big hurrah. So how about is Hamma?

*edit*

I for one would enjoy killing all the gens once again XD
Old 2013-05-23, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Wahooo
Captain

It has been done before from SOE.

Originally Posted by SOE
It's time to PARTY with NEW Player Progression, battles, merits and MORE!

Greetings Soldier of Auraxis!
You're cordially invited to celebrate six years of battles and non-stop shooting fun in PlanetSide®. We've updated the game with great new content to enhance your gameplay experience. Jump into the game now to check out everything that's been added!
Battle Rank has been increased from 25 to 40! All characters that achieve Battle Rank 40 will receive a special reward!
Six year merits will be awarded to characters that are at least 72 months old! This is based on the character creation date, not the account date.
Battle Frame Robotics (BFR) imprint will now be given to all characters created before June 18, 2009! Everybody with a character created before that date will not have to go through the imprint process in the Caverns. Players will still need to purchase the BFR certification from one of the certification terminals in order to gain access to pilot a BFR.
After June 18, 2009, all characters created prior to that date will be granted a certification respec upon logging into the game.
Old 2013-05-23, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Liquidnailz
Private

I never received an email about the free play on either of my accounts. I found out from your email masterchief.
Old 2013-05-23, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Liquidnailz View Post
I never received an email about the free play on either of my accounts. I found out from your email masterchief.
Glad to be of help, 11 people
Old 2013-05-23, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
SgtMAD
Captain

holy shit man, you need to calm down before you blow a gasket

I think Hamma knows that you want him to send a friggin email out,the problem being Hamma is trying to have a life and run this site so he might not have the time needed to do your bidding.

calm down and enjoy the next six months because the next big announcement is going to be the shutting down the servers at the end of those six months.
Old 2013-05-23, 08:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SgtMAD View Post

I think Hamma knows that you want him to send a friggin email out,the problem being Hamma is trying to have a life and run this site so he might not have the time needed to do your bidding.

calm down and enjoy the next six months because the next big announcement is going to be the shutting down the servers at the end of those six months.
Took me 5 minutes to blast email everyone.
Old 2013-05-23, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

count me as one person who saw your email and is currently playing ps1 Wasn't sure if it was a no-reply type thing so i didn't email back.
Old 2013-05-23, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Crator
Major General

Seems like most want PS1 to die. That's pretty much the vibe I get from the people who run this site and SOE. Pretty sad actually since there seem to still be fans of the original. Oh well....
Old 2013-05-23, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Zeta
Private

Originally Posted by SgtMAD View Post

Agreed about the OP calming down, but I've also heard that Hamma downright HATES anything PS1 these days too, so I doubt anything will happen anyways
Old 2013-05-23, 11:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
Agreed about the OP calming down, but I've also heard that Hamma downright HATES anything PS1 these days too, so I doubt anything will happen anyways
I dunno about that, it seems that most of us agree that this is either the last gasp of the game or it's the resurgence that some of us have been hoping for. We'll know in six months time. Either way, it's worth a shot to get the word out and at least try to give it a go.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-05-24, 03:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
OpolE
Sergeant Major

I think they will announce it once they sort the core combat expansion bug. Once they see a rise in people playing just from word of mouth.

They might be testing out a few statistics with the only 1 remaining server and don't want to overload it or they want to see how many dedicated players are using the game

4000+ Hours of PS1
Old 2013-05-24, 05:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

SOE gave us the free time to shut us up. The new bugs that currently affect PS1 popped up just in time. There is only one conclusion to make really.

Old 2013-05-24, 08:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Seems like most want PS1 to die. That's pretty much the vibe I get from the people who run this site and SOE. Pretty sad actually since there seem to still be fans of the original. Oh well....
Or it could be that he's not around this week, possibly he has something to do other than PSU. Guy has run this site for so long that I think far too many of you take him, his work, his dedication, and his time for granted. I know if it were me I'd be ripping many of you a new one for continuing your tirade of portraying him against PS1 when he's stated so many times that he's not, he just feels it's time to move on and any posts comparing PS1 to PS2 should be constructive and not destructive.

I saw posts on three different gaming websites about the free 6 months for PS1, yet no more than 5 replies from users were on each site. It looks as if one person in this thread has taken it upon themselves to put the word out, perhaps some of you should make an effort to get the word out to the masses rather than demanding that someone else do it.
Old 2013-05-24, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Crator
Major General

I don't have email addresses of everyone though and I'm pretty sure most others here don't as well, including the person you said took initiative. Posts on Internet sites only get to so many folks. And that's been done as you said. Word of mouth will happen and will garner more players eventually. I just read another thread that Hamma posted in today, so yeah, he's around. I'm not trying to take him for granted, I'm just upset that the game which started this site in the first place and has some loyal fans still is being swept under the rug so easily. It's crazy imo how much disdain has been built for PS1 by a lot of folks. I personally played PS1 for a very long time and was not put off by Core Combat and BFRs but I know there's many folks out there that build a great hate for the game due to it.

Most of the time PS1 vets do post constructively when comparing PS1 to PS2 but they are beaten down by destructive comments, a lot of times by other PS1 vets who want to stick fingers in their ears and sing LALALALA because they harness so much hate for PS1 for some reason. Then the PS1 vets who are constructively comparing to PS2 get enrage and become non-constructive. Vicious cycle...

EDIT: All PS1 vets who have differing opinions towards PS1 should be working together to come up with what should be best for PS2. Not fighting each other. And saying nothing in PS1 worked and should never exist in PS2 is just silly. There's a reason why people played PS1 in the first place and liked it. If not, why would you even be here?

Last edited by Crator; 2013-05-24 at 09:35 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion