Tweet hints at FPS numbers - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: psst... big party at Hamma's house after the show
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-30, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Re: Tweet hints at FPS numbers

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Low end:
E8400
Gefore 9600 GT
2 GB Ram

Mid:
Q9550
GTX 280
4 GB Ram

High:
Some Fancy I7 or I5
GTX 480 and Above
8 GB Ram.
This is more or less what I would have quoted. I think mid-range 400 series nVidia GPUs (450's, 460's) are probably slipping back to mid-range, and will be solidly considered "nice" mid-range cards by the time PS2 ships -- they can already be had for ~$125, and more 600's will drive the prices on 500's down in the next 6 months.

Core 2's are aging, but probably a good target benchmark for right on the border between low-end and mid-grade due to a combination of age and their amazing performance for their age.

My only criticism is that it might not be outrageous to consider 4GB RAM "low", particularly if one isn't concerned with supporting XP systems (if the game is DX10 only, for instance). I rarely see systems built for Vista or 7 with less than 4GB.

One thing people have been omitting, though -- what do we consider low/mid/high for video RAM? Is it safe to call 512MB video RAM "low" now? High is probably >= 2GB.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-30, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Serious question so Is the game is running at 100 fps + with Vsync ? and antialising ?

Also i would like to know if is there with many players on screen or just running around ?
This was a purely contrived test and I was just saying how nice it is to see three digits. I'm sure I could contrive a non-real-world test with amazing frame rate, but that wouldn't prove anything. If I shrink the window down to 32x32 ... turn off all magic ... render only the LEFT side of the players ... turn in a circle three times and click my heels ... infinity frame rate!

And whatever we do, I'm sure the intert00bs will find a way to break the servers at least once during testing. I have faith in that.
Old 2012-04-30, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
Bags
Lieutenant General

I feel mid ranged with a

460 GTX 1gb OC'd @ 850/4000
8gb ddr 3 @ 1600 11-11-11-24
2500k @ default clocks for now

Ws planning on SLIing 460 for PS2, but they are going out of stock, will ugprade to something in the $250 - 300 range if needed.
Old 2012-04-30, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
Shogun
Contributor
General

i consider my system midrange.

it was a lower highclass gamer laptop when i bought it.

it´s a msi gt627
core 2 duo 2.53 ghz
4gb ram
nvidia gf 9800m gs

i hope i will get decent framerates on low settings for ps2.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-04-30, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
Fenrys
Major

Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
i7 950 3.07Ghz
6GB DDR3 2100 <--- If that number is the NB frequency...?
Radeon HD 5850
The number is talking about the frequency of the RAM. Unlike earlier Intel CPUs, the memory controller is inside the i7 950, not on the NB.

I'd put that system somewhere between mid and upper High - faster than the system I'm planning to use when PS2 is released. With a good SSD, yours would be an ideal system for both work and play, while remaining reasonably priced.

Last edited by Fenrys; 2012-04-30 at 02:37 PM.
Old 2012-04-30, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
FIREk
Captain

Even for low end 2GB just means the owner is a cheap shit. :P
Old 2012-04-30, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
Shogun
Contributor
General

not all low end boards support more than 2gig.

my laptop is maxed out with 4 gig. would install more, but i can´t.
and my last laptop before this one (wasn´t very old as well. it´s about 4 years old now) wouldn´t let me install more than 2 gigs of ram.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-04-30, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
This was a purely contrived test and I was just saying how nice it is to see three digits. I'm sure I could contrive a non-real-world test with amazing frame rate, but that wouldn't prove anything. If I shrink the window down to 32x32 ... turn off all magic ... render only the LEFT side of the players ... turn in a circle three times and click my heels ... infinity frame rate!

And whatever we do, I'm sure the intert00bs will find a way to break the servers at least once during testing. I have faith in that.
Wont fail your faith man. Already got fancy stuff ready to stress the client, not to mention all the nasty stuff i will do to it :P

As for the servers, well, i do plan to gather a whole continent into one area...
Old 2012-04-30, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Except for my gpu bottleneck (i'll be upgrading before ps2 comes out) I consider myself on the low High end

radeon hd 5770 (i'll be getting a 7870)
amd fx-8120 3.1 oc'd to 4.2
16gb ddr3 1600 9-9-9-24

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know
Old 2012-04-30, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

yeah, you can expect that we will max out a server, do a cease fire, all gather in one place, and then kill eachother. That HAS to happen. And if your servers don't break, then we did our job well and you did your job well
Old 2012-04-30, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
You have a decent CPU, but the problem is the GPU. With that I would probably say the lower end region. GT 230 was already low end technically when it was released a few years ago.
So i will have to play on lowest graphic settings? I guess that isn't too bad, as long as i can play with a decent frame rate and stuff then i am content, i'm one of the people that don't care too much about a games graphics.
Old 2012-04-30, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
One thing people have been omitting, though -- what do we consider low/mid/high for video RAM? Is it safe to call 512MB video RAM "low" now? High is probably >= 2GB.
Well 2-3GB is high, so mid would probably be 1GB and anything below that is low.

I think the problem is defining what low, mid and high are. Lets take the GTX460/HD6800-level of GPUs. If we're talking about gaming rigs specifically, they're pretty much low-end now. You certainly wouldn't recommend anyone building a rig get anything worse.

If however we're talking about computers in general, they're near the top of mid-range. The amount of gamers who've gotten a new PC since the 500/6000 series released are probably the minority.
Old 2012-04-30, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
Fenrys
Major

The quantity of VRAM does not matter until you start using more than 1 GPU.

All graphics cards come with enough VRAM to max out the graphics processor. Adding more won't make it any faster.

If a card normally comes with 1GB, and you want to use 2 cards in SLI//X-fire, then you will want both of them to be the 2GB model. If you want to use 3 GPU's that normally come with 1GB VRAM, then you should get all 3 of them as the 3GB model (for a total of 9GB VRAM, but the same data will be copied 3 times, with the same 3GB of data present within each of your 3 graphics cards).

Last edited by Fenrys; 2012-04-30 at 05:54 PM.
Old 2012-04-30, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
If I shrink the window down to 32x32
Thats how I played Doom.
Old 2012-04-30, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
The quantity of VRAM does not matter until you start using more than 1 GPU.

I know what you meant, but taken literally, that's so not right.

Edit: Though come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I remember reading people were maxing out the VRAM for BF3 and a couple of other games on the last generation's cards. People with 6950s/6970s reporting they had smoother experiences than with their 570s.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-04-30 at 07:08 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion