new planetside podcast here ya goooo - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the most rejected quotes...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > Community > Advertisements

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-30, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
The Barn Cat
Private

new planetside podcast here ya goooo

http://soundcloud.com/ps2pc/planetside-mock-jhj

Old 2012-04-30, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
The Barn Cat
Private

Re: new planetside podcast here ya goooo

opps forgot to unpan it opppppppies
Old 2012-04-30, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Stardouser
Colonel

yea, squad members should only be able to talk to each other, not their whole platoon or company. Squad leaders should be able to talk to all other squad leaders in the platoon or company, and to their own squads. I am not sure if a SL should be able to talk to the entire platoon or company.
Old 2012-04-30, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
yea, squad members should only be able to talk to each other, not their whole platoon or company. Squad leaders should be able to talk to all other squad leaders in the platoon or company, and to their own squads. I am not sure if a SL should be able to talk to the entire platoon or company.
Yuck, that would be annoying as hell. Forcing an inflexible command structure on people like that is a big no-no IMO.

If you want to enforce communication along "proper channels" w/in your outfit that's fine, but the squad/platoon system should be flexible enough for those people who want to organize and communicate in a more communistic (note: little c, not big C) way.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-30, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
arclegger
PlanetSide 2
Level Designer

new podcast wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooo I've been waiting for this for months!
Old 2012-04-30, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Stardouser
Colonel

Command structure? What are you talking about? I was talking about VOIP channels. If you are saying that any squad member should be able to talk to any of the other 20 guys in the other 2 squads of the platoon, even the guys in the podcast admitted that would be too hectic.

But hey, they were also saying it should be customizable by the squad/platoon leaders. So if they want to set it up where all 30 people can talk at once, I guess you should be able to do that.

Edit: I'm thinking of Battlefailed players, I guess it's less hectic with true Planetside players.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-04-30 at 08:01 PM.
Old 2012-04-30, 08:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Command structure? What are you talking about? I was talking about VOIP channels. If you are saying that any squad member should be able to talk to any of the other 20 guys in the other 2 squads of the platoon, even the guys in the podcast admitted that would be too hectic.

But hey, they were also saying it should be customizable by the squad/platoon leaders. So if they want to set it up where all 30 people can talk at once, I guess you should be able to do that.

Edit: I'm thinking of Battlefailed players, I guess it's less hectic with true Planetside players.
Sorry I thought u were suggesting the channels should be setup that way for everyone. My bad. I do, however, consider VOIP communication channels to be part of the command structure, and was making my observations within the context of a more organized group like an outfit or outfit alliance. I should have clarified.

I've been on TS/Vent channels with 20+ ppl before without too much issue, so IME as long as the group is organized it should be okay. But I can see where it might get confusing/hectic with pickup squads that have never really played together before so yeah it would be a good configuration option. I luv that they're keeping it somewhat flexible tho, so it can be tailored to the ppl in the platoon.

I'd also like to see an option to have a separate channel for SLs/PLs in a platoon, but keep the main channel open to everyone in the platoon.
Old 2012-04-30, 09:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Thoughts: (In the order that I had them)
-Background music was a bit too loud. Try instrumental music that way there isn't a voice in the background that distracts.
-Vehicles in general have been stated to cost resources and upgrades (like turrets) cost additional resources.
-Breaking towers, give me a couple of AI MAXs, a medic or two, and the rest Rexos and we'll just push down into the spawn and kill it. Bit cheesy but I've grown to hate tower fights as VS have no good indoor HA in PS1.
-What we know about voice is that it's several layers deep, there's voice for inside your tank, there's voice for your group. At the time it was talked about there was debate if there would even be squads.
-Still need more info about mission system. I really think that it's too many eggs in the one basket right now. Really want squads, platoons, and companies in addition to missions.
-Crunch time can be for lots of things. *Points at E3*
-We have no idea what what that new vehicle is. Probably some Deli equivalent.
-I loved ANT runs too.
-Sundy may have firing ports. I may be hallucinating but I recall there was talk about being able to fire out with infantry weapons.
-Roommate from hell?
-Hamma likes the dubstep so it's probably not going anywhere!
-What a waste of perfectly good helium.
Old 2012-04-30, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by The Barn Cat View Post
I noticed you guys had quite a few takes on scenarios vs squad builds. That is why I have been thinkning about it so much and posed it as a question... I think the class system is one of the best changes, for the better, that the devs implemented, simply for the fact that it is going to add so much longevity to the game by keeping it fresh. In my opinion, you just cant make a super-soldier, and cover the majority of the situations with one squad build. I, myself, think that is going to keep people guessing, on the offensive, and defensive sides of the equation. So, and this is just opinion... +1 for the Devs on the class system.

As far as platoons, Im sure they are going to put that in. The reason I put the idea of companies in, (and I liked the way you tied it into the VoIP question as a sorta segue cause they do compliment each other) is that Outfits could really use a company system to project their outfit organization in-game. I also think that with a much higher population its a step in the right direction, since not having companies will almost force a much larger Zerg, or many more Platoons to form... Even in the case where there are many platoons, what is the next logical step to organize them? Companies...

VoIP, I have a feeling my hopes are going to be crushed... However, it would be such a great way for PS2 to stand out (even moreso) by having a bar-setting VoIP system integrated into the game that actually exposes everyone in the game to the same level of solid communication that heretofore only well organized outfits had access to. This, I believe, will increase the immersion, organization, and competitiveness, but more importantly put everyone closer to an even playing field environment.

About the hexagonal system, and its impact on the concentration of battles... You guys had a really good point about the mission system focusing people into big battles. I was thinking along the lines map targets, but really didnt think about the mission system doing the same thing. Sounds like the Devs have got this system dialed in pretty good.

Finally, I hope you are right about the beta being soon, and I think almost everyone shares that opinion.

PS. By the way, I like the lightning as is.

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!

Last edited by Grognard; 2012-04-30 at 11:18 PM.
Old 2012-04-30, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Can someone write a summery of any new information?
Old 2012-04-30, 10:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

I posted this in another thread, but introducing visual feedback for the in game voip would make it pretty cool...if you're doing air cover and you can see your guys highlighted when they're talking (calling for air support), if would be more intuitive; and help keep your squad together I think.
Old 2012-04-30, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Levente
First Sergeant

why is it so hard to do it like in Battlefield 2? that game has the best command structure, just need to expand it of course to ps2 scale
Old 2012-05-01, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
NCLynx
Major

Didn't get to 100% finish it, but keep it up! It was certainly entertaining so lets hope you guys get some REALLY good stuff to talk about ASAP (and by that I mean a beta date)

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-05-01, 01:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Levente View Post
why is it so hard to do it like in Battlefield 2? that game has the best command structure, just need to expand it of course to ps2 scale
Uh, what bits of it? The commander system doesn't really directly expand to larger fights. Are you referring to the VoiP system where suads could talk with-in themselves and the commander could talk to any one of the squads? I could see that maybe working with companies or platoons but I can also see that there would be problems. How squads come together and their relation to the commander is different than PS. The commander has access to the overhead map and can give out info to squads and set objectives and what have you. While cool that kinda breaks up the normal squad mechanics where each SL has the ability to direct their squad.

While its an interesting idea a direct port over of the mechanics probably won't serve well. If you have ideas on how it could work I'm sure the discussion would be appreciated.
Old 2012-05-01, 06:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

Really enjoyed listing to this.

Side Note: Turn the background music down a slight notch. Not a whole lot, but enough to where it does not distract from the two of you have a conversation.

A side from that can't wait for the next one

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.

PlanetSide Universe > Community > Advertisements