Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2013-11-21, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
HelixProd
Private

Misc Info
Question Need help with buying a new PC

1. Are you building this computer yourself or having one built for you (Like HP, Alienware, or even a small shop)? I am having Toshiba build it.

2. What is your budget and does that include shipping/taxes? $700 MAX

3. Where do you live (Please list town, state, and country)? United states, ME

4. What do you need this computer to do (like gaming, Photoshop, and so on)? UDK, Blender, 3D MAX student, PS2.

5. What parts will you need for the computer? List what parts specifically, saying you need everything will not do. This is the PC I am looking at: http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/...50/S50-ABT3N22 Intel® Core™ i5-4200U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.60GHz) with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
Windows 8.1
6GB DDR3L 1600MHz (4GB + 2GB)
750GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial ATA)
2GB DDR3 NVIDIA ® GeForce® GT 740M with Optimus™ Technology
DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive
Wi-Fi® Wireless networking (802.11b/g/n) (150Mbps
)

6. Are you reusing any parts for this computer? If so say what parts (make and model). No

7. What kind of monitor/resolution do you have or want to get to use for the computer? 1366x768 (HD)

8. Do you have already have a OS or do you need one? What OS is that? I need Win8. It comes with the laptop.

9. What are you looking for the motherboard to have feature wise? Like SLI, Crossfire, Firewire, USB 3.0, Sata 6.0 Gb/s, and so on. I have no idea. I don't know what that stuff is.

10. Any plans to overclock the CPU or GPU? No, IDK how or if I can.

11. What time kind of time frame are you planning on ordering these parts? Blackfriday
Old 2013-11-21, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Need help with buying a new PC

Blackfriday? With that in mind I am 100% sure we can find you something better for around $700. The GPU in that is not awful, but the 4200U is going to be a serious problem. Its a ULV processor, so its going to be throttling like the crazy under load. That will be bad as from what I can tell you are going to be throwing demanding software plus PS2 at it. Let me look around and see what I can find.

This Lenovo Y410P is priced @ $750, but it may go lower during Blackfriday time frame. It has a quad core that beats the 4200U with ease, plus a stronger GPU. It will be a night and day difference using this laptop compared to that Toshiba with what you want to do.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...es/y410p/?tt=b

Last edited by Goku; 2013-11-21 at 02:40 PM.
Old 2013-11-21, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
HelixProd
Private

Misc Info

Hmm, you are right. This seems like a very nice laptop. The only thing is, a lot of reviews say the wireless card is not good. And I would really like a 15" screen. BTW is 6GBs of RAM ok? Or will I need more? Thanks for the help though.

Edit 11-23-13: My dad just told me that $700 is to much money. I guess I will have to settle for the Toshiba satellite S50. Will it work fine on low setting if I get gameboost?

Last edited by HelixProd; 2013-11-23 at 06:51 AM.
Old 2013-11-24, 11:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Let me see what I can find on Newegg for around that price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834231238
That one's a little bit more optimized, though older model.

The only thing that rings an alarm with me on your Toshiba is the RAM - it's got an asymmetrical setup, which means it's likely going to run in single-channel mode (rather than the dual channel the CPU's capable of). Most games prefer faster RAM, so if you can I'd look for one with identical module pairs (e.g. 2x 4GB or 2x 3GB).

Goku's suggestion, however is best.

EDIT: Goku, your link doesn't work.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2013-11-24 at 11:29 PM.
Old 2013-11-25, 07:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I am digging for more laptops in that price range and I cannot find anything really better than that Toshiba. If I have to guess I am going to say the performance is going to be bad, but I could be wrong. With the recent performance patch even more so. Your best bet is to make a thread on the official forums to see if anyone has a similar setup, so that they can tell you.

What exactly are your uses for the laptop? Have you considered a desktop? That will get you far better bang for the buck for what you need for gaming and that software anyway. If you do not need the mobility of a laptop the desktop is a far better option IMO.

Last edited by Goku; 2013-11-25 at 07:13 AM.
Old 2013-11-25, 07:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
HelixProd
Private

Misc Info

@Ailos: Thanks for the help man but as I said before, I really don't want anything but the 15" screen. It is perfect for me. The price went up on the Toshiba by $60 so if it don't go down like $150 on blackfriday or cybermonday I will not be able to get the 8GBs of RAM.

@Goku: Thanks man. The reason I need the laptop is because I am a high school student and will be using this laptop in two years at collage. Do you think getting the Razor GameBoost help the performance? What do you think the performance will be on the lowest setting with GameBoost on?
Old 2013-11-25, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

That laptop you want to get I do not really consider gaming capable unfortunately now or in the future. PS2 in my opinion will have issues running on that, I do not think that razer gamebooster will do much of anything as well. I think if possible you should reconsider and look into getting a desktop. By doing upgrades to the computer I do not see any reason why it cannot last you through most of college. We can start you out with a modest build and you can put in a new GPU in the future to get a major boost, while potentially getting a CPU too.

You said you have two years until college. That is still a long way out. With that in mind after you can still get a laptop by just saving up between working and any gift money. For school you can easily get a $300 to $400 basic laptop that will suit your mobility needs. I don't see any reason why you can't accomplish that in a couple years.

I never really made use of a laptop in college personally. Never brought it to courses for note taking. Any group projects I had to do was always done in the computer labs. Even if I went home I just brought my whole setup with me, though I was at school 90% of the time. I think many people think they need a laptop for college when in fact they don't. I bought one for my 1st year in college and barely made use of it. Others will say different, but that is my take on it.

I just don't want to see you get stuck with a laptop that won't do what you want it to. Especially considering how long you will be keeping this. If you were just using it for everyday stuff I wouldn't be worried about it.

Last edited by Goku; 2013-11-25 at 10:13 AM.
Old 2013-11-25, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
HelixProd
Private

Misc Info

Thanks Goku, you have some good points there. I think I will need a laptop for Collage because I am going to go for computer technology and game design. I am quite shore I will want a laptop. is there a way to upgrade the CPU in the Toshiba? cuz I could get this PC with the i5 and get a better one later on. you got any good desktops I could check out. you are right about maybe getting a desktop now, saving my money, and getting a laptop later. The thing is, I don't have money to spend. I need a PC that will run demanding programs but it needs to be under $700.
Old 2013-11-25, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I think the Toshiba cpu is upgradeable, but the difference will not be worth the money. I understand why you would a laptop for college, hence what I recommended you to do. That should be especially possible if you have a high school graduation party .

For desktops I am thinking unless a good deal comes around you should build your own. I started building computers around your age, so you should be more than capable. I can get a list of parts for you to buy, but just need to clear up a couple things. Is your budget $700 or $550? Do you have a monitor that you can use? Probably can get decent deals over the next couple weeks on components, since its the holidays as well. The build should be more than capable of running anything you throw at it.
Old 2013-11-25, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
HelixProd
Private

Misc Info

OK so, will the S50 run PS2 on medium or low? if so what do you think the FPSs will be?

My budget is $650. Are these good builds? http://www.hardware-revolution.com/
Old 2013-11-25, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Chances are that Toshiba will do low and I don't see the FPS even being that high.

I'll take a look at those builds and get back to you. Do you need a monitor/LCD screen?
Old 2013-11-25, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
HelixProd
Private

Misc Info

OK thanks. Yes I will need a screen.
Old 2013-11-27, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I plan on putting together a full build for you tomorrow. I am also still looking around for prebuilt desktops that may be on sale that have good value too.
Old 2013-11-28, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
HelixProd
Private

Misc Info

Thanks man. I think I will get a desktop. I can get a much better PC if its a desk op but IDK if I will build it.

Last edited by HelixProd; 2013-11-28 at 09:50 AM.
Old 2013-11-28, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

You must of put legos together at some point, if you can do that you can put your own computer together. Really is not that hard to do. Check this video out on youtube and it will show its not that bad to do.

By building your own computer you are getting more bang for your buck compared to systems built by say Dell or HP. I wouldn't be recommending this otherwise. From the looking I have done thus far I have not found any worthwhile deals that will beat what I have put together for your build. However if we wait for a sale to come up on Dell Outlet website for refurbished desktops or scratch and dents that could also be an option. These do come with a 1 year warranty as well like new ones. Just a matter of waiting for it to come up.

In the mean time here is what I put together:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4330 - ~$120 (combo)
Motherboard (Mobo): ASUS H81 - ~$55 with coupon 1127BF166 (combo)
Video Card (GPU): AMD HD 7790 - $89.99
Memory: GSkill 2x4GB DDR3 1600 - $49.99
Hard Drive: WesternDigital 1TB - $63.99 (Amazon)
Case: NZXT Source 210 - $35.97 (Amazon) (We can change the case to something you may like more as well)
Power Supply (PSU): Corsair 430W - $44.99
Monitor: Hanns-G 21.5 inches 1920x1080 - $89.99
DVD Drive - Samsung - $14.99
OS: Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium - $79.99 with coupon code 1127BF220 (Can do Windows 8.1 for another $20)

Total = $635
Total after mail in rebates = $635 - $20 (PSU) - $20 GPU - $15 (Mobo) = $580

This build will be far more capable of playing PS2 and any other games compared to laptops in your price range. I think over all the machine is fairly capable, but don't expect to be running max graphics in most games. The beauty of the desktop however is that you will be able to upgrade down the line. Improvements in the future you can do is put in a quad core. Chances are you can get one on the cheap used via ebay, so the cost will not be bad. You can also upgrade your video card easily enough once you are not getting the game experience you desire.

Let me know what you think.

I'll keep checking around though to see if something else pops up.

Last edited by Goku; 2013-11-28 at 11:39 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum