Gameplay: Hotdrop height restrictions. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: when do the endless quotes stop?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-08-04, 02:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Hotdrop height restrictions.

This is from a thread originally started by cashfoyogash. The idea is to encourage some variation in how air transports drop off their troops. My summary from the thread follows:

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
I think we can make this work. And that we quite possibly should too. The way I'm thinking about this, the only thing more awesome than a gal dropping a squad onto a roof is a gal nosing up over a wall at full speed from the direction no one was looking all guns blazing through a cloud of flak and then dropping a squad onto a roof.

The idea:
1. Everyone has Basic Fallnothurtifyers.
2. Basic Fallnothurtifyers nullify damage from falls as long as [100ft] (only from a vehicle).
3. Basic Fallnothurtifyers can be upgraded through certs on the outfit level (badass paratroopers) to increase the drop ceiling up to infinity.
---a. Personal or pilot certs might also work, but could cause problems when
---not working with people you know.
4. Need an indicator on the hud to show when you can drop safely.

The effect:
1. New players and non-specialized outfits will retain the option to hotdrop, but will have to go in low and fast, or disembark on the fringes.
2. Specialized outfits will be able to perform the high altitude drops instead, allowing them to show up a bit more quietly.
3. Opens up lots of cert possibilities for a "Paratrooper" cert tree for outfits, such as infantry not appearing on sensors when dropping.
4. Profit.
5. Might nullify some of the concerns about being able to spawn in gals.
6. Bonus: Discourages bailing in the middle of a dogfight.

That took longer than I thought....
I think this idea would mesh well with adding a light air transport to the game, as suggested by Baron. If the outfit certs affecting drop height were limited to the gal, it would create a distinct niche for both vehicles.
Old 2011-08-04, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Haro
Master Sergeant

Re: Hotdrop height restrictions.

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
This is from a thread originally started by cashfoyogash. The idea is to encourage some variation in how air transports drop off their troops. My summary from the thread follows:

I think this idea would mesh well with adding a light air transport to the game, as suggested by Baron. If the outfit certs affecting drop height were limited to the gal, it would create a distinct niche for both vehicles.
I like this a lot, speaking as a gal pilot. I always thought gal drops were a bit too easy, which was fine by me in the first game, but I'd like to see it balanced out more. I do think it could really help not only light air transports, but also make ground transports more appealing also.

I also think that it would be good to have upgradable air defenses, either through vehicle cert trees or base/engineer upgrades for turrets. Not to completely stopping the highly specialized gal from accomplishing a drop, but to make life... interesting for the pilot
Old 2011-08-05, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
CutterJohn
Colonel

I'd prefer gals dropping off as per normal now. With certs going to buffs like drop pods which drop you faster/offer protection vs aa, certs to make the gal more surviveable and hence more likely to make a drop, certs for some respawn capability, fast pickup capability.

The basic job of dropping people from high up shouldn't be messed with.
Old 2011-08-05, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I'd prefer gals dropping off as per normal now. With certs going to buffs like drop pods which drop you faster/offer protection vs aa, certs to make the gal more surviveable and hence more likely to make a drop, certs for some respawn capability, fast pickup capability.

The basic job of dropping people from high up shouldn't be messed with.
Instilling reasonable flight ceilings wouldn't infringe on dropping capability.

Also I imagine with the vast improvement of flight physics gal pilots will want to unload paratroops akin to how they would do so today.
Old 2011-08-05, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
CutterJohn
Colonel

Fair enough. If there is a high drop ceiling it should be restricted in some way. You shouldn't be dropping people from beyond AA range. 100 feet, as was suggested, is far too restrictive. 2-300m? that'd work.
Old 2011-08-05, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Does anyone see a problem with this suggestion? Ceryshen *cough**cough*

Old 2011-08-05, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

I rather like the drop-pod idea actually. A blue-dampener just drops you, practically vulnerable to AA fire. A pod grants you control over your drop, and would take a few impacts from AA fire, keeping the soldier safe.
Old 2011-08-07, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Does anyone see a problem with this suggestion? Ceryshen *cough**cough*

If you're referring to the terrain height, that's why it's based on fall distance instead of altitude.
Old 2011-08-14, 02:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by EASyEightyEight View Post
I rather like the drop-pod idea actually
As am I. Have people get into the pod and then it physically detaches from the Gal on drop. Gunners stay with the gal, everything else, light vehicle package included, is reattached at a friendly base.

It also opens up the possibility of on-drop effects. More candy for deep Gal specs.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault