News: Chinese Interview with John Smedley - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: where grammar is what you call one of your relatives.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-08, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Chinese Interview with John Smedley

"Crafting" in an MMO means something quite specific - players making stuff.

It could be the word "crafting" and "create" were used as part of translation issues and maybe he said something different but it was interpreted as crafting.

It could be two-way translation here, first translating what John said into Chinese and then translating the Chinese into English again. Meanings could have changed if that was the case.

Still, interesting word choice at the least, and it does fit if EVE was one of their inspirations and Smed had said they wanted to do a lot more with resources in the future. So crafting certainly makes sense. I am wondering if it is something already in or if it is one of those things in "The 3-year plan".
Old 2011-09-08, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Logit
Second Lieutenant

MORE PEW PEW

Less gay fucking ideas.

Crafting? Aliens?

If I wanted to shoot AI, I'd Play WoW

If I wanted to Craft weapons and sell them, I'd play WoW

I don't play WoW

I'm trying not to panic, I know it's a Chinese translation, but this thread gives me diarrhea.
Old 2011-09-08, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Hamma
PSU Admin

Hey Guys,

I have inquired for some clarification on this article. Hopefully we will hear something a bit later.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-09-08, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

You cannot really make sense of translated Chinese articles through online tools in my opinion. Reserving judgment till I see a proper translation.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-08, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

"crafting" is the only new thing for us to panic about in this article. The PvE stuff was already known from Fan Faire. It was also mentioned that it wouldn't be at release. This new article also confirms that - Smed says "in the future" , as in "not release". I'm not a fan of PvE stuff and I think the game doesn't need it - and that's why it isn't a release topic. I think it's just some ideas they have on how to spice up the game from time to time - world events, which is exactly what Smed calls it.

From that perspective the AI stuff isn't all that bad, but I agree with most that it really doesn't fit in Planetside, but we have plenty of time to give them that feedback and don't need to be freaking out about it now.
Old 2011-09-08, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Thats the only thing in my opinion that maybe dooms day for the game in the long run. Adding in all this extra stuff they want during the 3 year plan. Depending on how its done the game could be completely different from when people first start playing. That may drive a good amount of people away. If crafting is going to be done it should be added now instead of later in my opinion as that could be a major change. TF2 is a prime example of that. Now you just have idiots running around in pimp hats with fireworks coming out of them :/.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-08, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The actual translation from Google from the original chinese is this:

According to John introduced, the skills system is connected from the "Star OL2" the key to all game content. Whether the player is to improve weapon damage, transforming the vehicle or make night vision goggles and other small objects are use to the appropriate skills. Learning these skills will spend the appropriate time, like EVE, just a few minutes of some low-level skills can be learned, and advanced a few months time you need to master.

"Star OL2" in both online and offline will be two kinds of skills in practice mode offline practice speed will be relatively slow-paid players can get some speed bonus.

Territorial battle system, it is the "Star OL2" core gameplay. "Star OL2" will focus on the PVP content, the game each player can be occupied territory, the resources available in different territories will be different weapons, vehicles, production or upgrade materials. John said that the future of the game may also include some PVE world events, such as the three camps to fight against alien invasion, to enrich the game play itself.
Not bad from a copy-paste translation, but the word "production" was used, not 'create" and it mentions making night vision goggles cost resources, which the reader may have translated into "crafting"

I'm suspecting that there isn't crafting in the game but that items are tied to resources and "production" could mean a lot of things.

Probably just a big false alarm due to poor translation of what John was saying.
Old 2011-09-08, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Its nice to hear any news. Even though we all know some of the translations are screwy
Old 2011-09-08, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Speaking of the AI, the only AI I want is a giant holo-projection of Smed, saying (in a grim manner) "YOU. HAVE. FAILED." to TR everytime they lose.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2011-09-08, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
raw
Sergeant

It is also quite possible that Sony is adapting a different payment model for the PRC and the "western" world.
Old 2011-09-08, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Senyu
First Lieutenant

For all we know PS2 version of crafting and PvE (Alien Invasion) could be far different than what is out there today and what we know. I highly doubt its gona be like WoW crafting which is a basic standard in most crafting. Give them a shadow of a doubt, it may turn out you really like the system the implement for both these things.

My take on the alien invasion, I could see it as something they not always but sometimes toss in when fighting is getting low or to spread out. And all 3 empires would fight agaisnt it and each other. I see it as a more constructed and organized 4th faction, the neutrals in PS1.

That being said, we all know most of the people hate these two things from the get go, we get that. There's 3 pages of it on this thread. Lets move on to discussion please
Old 2011-09-08, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Draep
Master Sergeant

One sec, one sec. You can upgrade weapons to increase weapon damage? Not liking that at all! I can understand giving me a silencer, laser sight, night vision or whatever; but one of the best features in PS1 was the ability for a BR1 to do the same damage as a BR40.

If skills and resources contribute to weapon damage, fuck that. I'd rather play APB. Alien invasions? Yeah sounds about as fun as special ops events in PS1 or having meteors being thrown at you.
Old 2011-09-08, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Jennyboo
Mrs. Hamma

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Hey Guys,

I have inquired for some clarification on this article. Hopefully we will hear something a bit later.
Hopefully Hamma can get some more info
Old 2011-09-08, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

The Alien invasion was already covered at FF. It was said it would only be some kind of event that happens every now and then, nothing that happens each week. And i actually like the basic idea, if it is done right. Those aliens need to have the number AND the power to force all 3 empire to work together a bit (while maintaining the ability to shoot each other). On the other hand, just let those aliens screw you enemy, and take the remains without much trouble. Would really be fun once in a while, but 24/7 would just start annoy you.
Old 2011-09-08, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Honestly you have to expect panic before actual discussion.

Things are being discussed that were not in the original PlanetSide and thus people are going to panic before actually discussing things.

I'm updating the main page a bit, stupid translations.
No joke. I don't know why SOE doesn't release an English version of these articles at the same time. Why confuse the community?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion