Gameplay: Outfit Air Cruisers Redux - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Galaxies don't float.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.93 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-05-18, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Re: Outfit Air Cruisers Redux

I could see implementing something like this IF the distances between bases is long. Like 15-20 minute transits via Galaxy transportation. You could put this up at some sort of midway point to provide a quick way to re-distribute your troops to the ground.

But as Galaxies are pretty much flying spawn points now (as I understand it) I can't see Air Cruisers being integrated into PS2
Old 2012-05-18, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
VelRa
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sentrosi View Post
I could see implementing something like this IF the distances between bases is long. Like 15-20 minute transits via Galaxy transportation. You could put this up at some sort of midway point to provide a quick way to re-distribute your troops to the ground.

But as Galaxies are pretty much flying spawn points now (as I understand it) I can't see Air Cruisers being integrated into PS2
Presumably there would be some benefit to airships over galaxies as a spawn point, longer range and ability to spawn while moving the most obvious, (did I read somewhere that people can spawn in galaxies in flight, or did I make that up?).

EDIT: Oh, and the ability to carry vehicles.

Essentially my understand of the OP is that air cruisers are a customizable logistics aircraft vulnerable to a coordinated assault but defensible by a fully-manned crew. They are useful as staging platforms for major assaults involving outfits. Galaxies will not be adequate anchors because they are vulnerable to all types of fire. Just one galaxy will probably not be enough to anchor an assault. I can see them dying alot especially since there is no cloaking bubbles like there were for AMSs.

Last edited by VelRa; 2012-05-18 at 01:38 PM.
Old 2012-05-18, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by VelRa View Post
Yeah your option sounds better, upon reconsideration. Except for the fact that presumably a pure heavy assault player could pilot a behemoth of an aircraft equally as well as a pure galaxy pilot. But I'd be willing to sacrifice the immersion for the ease of gameplay.
Well these wouldn't necessarily be controlled the same way as other vehicles since they resemble naval vessels more than aircraft. I figure the classic heading and speed settings are all we need. Navigate the old fashioned way.

And yeah maybe each Mark level requires an outfit cert, and purchasing the module each time you build or upgrade a ship requires resources.
Definitely, one of the defining characteristics of this plan is that some outfits will want to master these, and they should be able to. But most outfits won't, so they shouldn't be able to get the best toys without dedicating themselves to it. Much like players and their professions. Another reason to keep outfit specialization is so larger outfits don't subdivide to form a fleet of them.

Originally Posted by Sentrosi View Post

Well, I'll be happy to conceded the point when the Galaxy can spawn while flying, transport MBTs, and anchor an outfit's beachhead.

Originally Posted by VelRa View Post
Presumably there would be some benefit to airships over galaxies as a spawn point, longer range and ability to spawn while moving the most obvious, (did I read somewhere that people can spawn in galaxies in flight, or did I make that up?).

EDIT: Oh, and the ability to carry vehicles.

Essentially my understand of the OP is that air cruisers are a customizable logistics aircraft vulnerable to a coordinated assault but defensible by a fully-manned crew. They are useful as staging platforms for major assaults involving outfits. Galaxies will not be adequate anchors because they are vulnerable to all types of fire. Just one galaxy will probably not be enough to anchor an assault. I can see them dying alot especially since there is no cloaking bubbles like there were for AMSs.
Exactly, OACs can be destroyed without using another OAC, but since they are not floating BFRs, it should require significant effort and coordination. Even still, an OAC is essentially offensive in nature while being defensive in stance. The only time an OAC gets directly dangerous is when another OAC is in range. Then it is naval warfare.
Old 2012-05-22, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

BF2142 Titan
I want this.
Also the ejection system in the ground transport.
Old 2012-05-22, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Indeed.

I saw Battleship and now I want a Battle Cruiser even more lol.
Old 2012-05-23, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

/sign
this needs to be implemented in beta
Old 2012-05-24, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I'm surprised there isn't more opposition to the idea.
Old 2012-05-24, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
I'm surprised there isn't more opposition to the idea.
Cuz it's guuuuuud!

Would like to see huge outfit logo and custom paint jobs too..

Last edited by Raka Maru; 2012-05-24 at 12:47 PM.
Old 2012-05-24, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Yeah, definitely.
Old 2012-05-24, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
VelRa
Sergeant

Just no zebra-print colossus blocking out the sun, please.
Old 2012-05-24, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

What if it is commanded by an ape wearing a bikini?
Old 2012-05-24, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Raka Maru
Major

Ape wearing a zebra patterned bikini?
Old 2012-05-24, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
nomotog
Sergeant

I was actually thinking of this same idea too. My main comment is you seem to have limited their role too much. You are forcing them high up in the air basically making them big fancy spawn points. I think you can let them get closer to the ground and even have them land.

Last edited by nomotog; 2012-05-24 at 06:39 PM.
Old 2012-05-24, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by nomotog View Post
I was actually thinking of this same idea too. My main comment is you seem to have limited their role too much. You are forcing them high up in the air basically making them big fancy spawn points. I think you can let them get closer to the ground and even have them land.
I guess they can land and have an empire specific impenetrable shield.
Old 2012-05-24, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by nomotog View Post
Well, I wanted to avoid allowing them the ability to directly engage ground units, because if they could, then OACs would become the new BFR/GG/orbital_strike_large.

I am not opposed however, to a deployment mode that allows them to detach a module to act as a ground Forward Operating Base directly below.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault