PSA: Listen Up Guys.. - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Boom...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-30, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Gugabalog
Major

Re: PSA: Listen Up Guys..

I agree wit Hamma.

Btw watching some of your youtube posted streams
Old 2012-07-30, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by ziegler View Post
I hate when people take away my need to naturale GAWD given right to rage!!.....thanks man....now I am gonna be all mellow and next thing you know I'll long hair and be makin love to hippie chicks....and it's all your fault...but I forgive you and stuff man.
Pass the blunt man, dont keep all that weed for yaself dude!
Old 2012-07-30, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
SUBARU
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
HOLD the phone, let this man have beta RIGHT now because another man got a haircut. It's his world and we just live in it.

Chillax brotha! It's all gonna be okay... I promise you will play Planetside 2 unless you are in a terrible accident or your computer breaks or something... let SOE get it right before letting us get our hands on it... I'd much rather my first time playing be an amazing memory and not an unplayable drag.
I really dont care about beta anymore .Just staying.,17 days ago ,somebody got a hair cut,and that was to mean something
Old 2012-07-30, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by SUBARU View Post
I really dont care about beta anymore .Just staying.,17 days ago ,somebody got a hair cut,and that was to mean something
Higby said he wouldn't cut his hair until outside testers were playing the game.
And they are.
And I hate them.
Just a little.

Anyways, I hope this doesn't slow down the overall schedule and that they will take this opportunity to get more support structures in place so the initial invites ramp up faster to make up for lost time.

Last edited by Sephirex; 2012-07-30 at 04:26 PM.
Old 2012-07-30, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Midgard
Private

Hamma is so tranquil because he played the Tech test, we not, that's the difference.
Old 2012-07-30, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
rhombus
Private

I'd like to add a few thoughts from the perspective of a software developer. No I don't work in games but I've contributed to projects as small as internal tools and as big as operating systems.

For the short explanation, here's how it'll all work in emoticons:

-- Today you're not in the beta and you're all
-- When you get your beta invite email you'll be
-- When the game crashes on your first day:
-- When you have that first moment of a really great time:
-- When something effs up because a game mechanic is broken:
-- When you've had a really bad day of bugs during the beta you'll be doing this again on the forums:
-- And we'll all be like "cry me a river":
-- When stuff gets fixed and you're finally having a good time you'll be:
-- But like seriously, the devs don't need your hyperactive shit so SERIOUSLY:

Longer explanation:

As of E3, Planetside 2 wasn't ready for beta. It was pretty much a case of being way too successful for its current state. I don't know that as fact but I've sensed the nervousness and uncertainty whenever anyone at SOE talks about Beta. So where are those developers now?

Release mode. It won't be a 1.0 release, it'll be a beta release, but we live in a time when software is released early and improved upon as time goes on. What do software developers do in this "release mode"? Every day there are "bug triage" in which all the currently open bugs are discussed and prioritized. The bugs with the highest priority are called "showstoppers", which include things like the game crashing or disconnecting, or the server software crashing or erroring. That's the only class of bug that they're fixing right now.

Things like "weapon X is way too powerful" is not a "showstopper" and won't be fixed during release mode. What they have to fix is two things: 1) that you can get into the game and 2) that it doesn't crash on you. Most of everything else besides can be weird, broken, or even downright missing.

I have no inside information but knowing what I do about software development in general, this ongoing Tech Test can't be that fun. That the Beta is being pushed back by a week only means one thing to me: the game is still crashing or disconnecting.

So try looking at the situation this way: some select few masochists are putting up with a whole bunch of deal breaking bugs so that when YOU finally get into the game you won't have to suffer them.

However, the troubles don't end there. Chances are when we finally get to play the game there's going to be all those bugs that weren't showstoppers before. Gameplay mechanics being broken, visual glitches, unbalanced play, whole features being hidden away while more work is being done. Heck, we may see crashes and disconnects because the more people that use the software, the better the odds that a bad bug will crop up.

SOE is giving us a huge break by pushing beta out so early. That means two things: 1) you get a gift six months before Christmas and 2) you now have the responsibility of not crapping all over the gift you got early.

Beta isn't some weird term for "early access." It's incomplete software. I know we'll have fun, but we'll all experience moments of frustration every day. Every week it'll get better, that much we can be guaranteed.

Finally:
Old 2012-07-30, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by rhombus View Post
snip
Fantastic post.

And for TLDR: Just read it. He's not wasting your time.
Old 2012-07-30, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Fuel Truck
Private

Originally Posted by Top Sgt View Post
Unfortunately Hamma the PS community has been invaded by mainstream players.. hence the quick turn in community attitude.
I guarantee the majority of whiners aren't mainstream players, it's us vets who have been waiting for years...
Old 2012-07-30, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Fuel Truck View Post
I guarantee the majority of whiners aren't mainstream players, it's us vets who have been waiting for years...
Actually, I think most of the people that have been following the development of PS2 over the last year and a half have a pretty good idea of the timescale we are dealing with here. I remember when we were pretty sure beta would be Q1/Q2 of 2012 at the lastest. Every time I hear a date I think, "Yeah, we'll see about that."

Old 2012-07-30, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Good job Hamma, this is your house. I made a similar thread a while back and they needed to be reminded.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-07-30, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Plix
Private

Great post Hamma. People need to chill. Go watch the olympics and root for USA USA!
Old 2012-07-30, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Gin
Private

As frustrating as it may be waiting for the closed beta to start, at least know that they are making the game better so that when that invite finally does come, the game is more polished and runs better across all systems.

Based on all the info we've seen, I would say this game is quite a ways off from release. Even with closed beta getting pushed back another week ( ), there will still be plenty of time to test the game IMO. Clearly they are taking their time with the game, which is a good thing!

Last edited by Gin; 2012-07-30 at 04:56 PM.
Old 2012-07-30, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
dafuq
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Plix View Post
Great post Hamma. People need to chill. Go watch the olympics and root for USA USA!
well, i dont cheer for the USA, and i really knew that the USA girl would win the skeet shooting since thats what you US guys doing all day.. shoot some things
Old 2012-07-30, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
rhombus
Private

A visual explanation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	softwareishard.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	835  
Old 2012-07-30, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by dafuq View Post
well, i dont cheer for the USA, and i really knew that the USA girl would win the skeet shooting since thats what you US guys doing all day.. shoot some things
Too soon.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion