Please do not record death counts. - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: was rejected!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 3.47 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-05-28, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
vampyro
Corporal

Re: Please do not record death counts.

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
That wouldn't work, because the ones who show it will slam the ones who don't. You can't stop the epeen.
Thats the thing this game isnt about that. There are so many support roles, like repairing vehicles, setting up CE, piloting, and being a medic. Just leave the K/D ratio off the leaderboards and make it to where the player has the option of it being shown in their profile.
Old 2012-05-28, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by vampyro View Post
Thats the thing this game isnt about that. There are so many support roles, like repairing vehicles, setting up CE, piloting, and being a medic. Just leave the K/D ratio off the leaderboards and make it to where the player has the option of it being shown in their profile.
I wouldn't want K/D on any kind of leaderboard, I'm in total agreement there. The game shouldn't glorify low numbers of deaths or a high K/D ratio. I just think that kill stats and death stats should be available for those interested in them, and let players do with that information as they will. But more substantial metrics are what should be glorified, such as score per death or score per hour or something like that.

But there is no reason why a player shouldn't be able to make their stats private as well. Maybe they would get slammed occasionally for keeping them private, but that's not really a big deal. There will always be some level of that shit in an online environment. Just put those players on ignore and/or don't hang in their circles if you don't like it.
Old 2012-05-28, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
Ieyasu
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
I think KPD isn't really all that useful a stat in a game like PlanetSide. I would say KPH (Kill Per Hour) would be a more useful stat.
with you on this 100%

in original planetside I would just drop from tops of towers onto people trying to breach the doors. get a kill or two, die, respawn and repeat. Its a horse of a different color imho when the games storyline involves you not dying permanently and simply respawning.

games like COD where they have a team deathmatch where a player who goes 2-17 hurts the team he is on KDR is far more important of a stat to notice. In planetside 2, like in planetside it seems the more kills you get per hour or even minute would be a better stat to track or base player skill upon. Who cares if you get 5 kills to every 1 death if you only get 5 kills per hour?

Im forever lauging at someone who will spend 5 mintues of their time trying not to die (running or just camping out somewhere) instead of just fighting, dying, and being back in the battle in under 2 minutes time. I understand peoples reasons for displaying cowardice in real life, but a video game... ffs.
Old 2012-05-28, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by vampyro View Post
The leaderboard should stay away from kills entirely in my opinion. Show mission completion, base caps, xp earned, whatever. But kills should be of secondary importance.
Old 2012-05-28, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
Barlowkin
Private

Just think of yourself as the one being all crazy and having fun while the one sitting back watching there death rate is not having as much fun as you. Just don't worry about it, be happy! And, if it really matters to most of you, your deaths should just be hidden from other players, but I think the K/D ratio is a good thing for yourself to see.

Last edited by Barlowkin; 2012-05-28 at 07:36 PM.
Old 2012-05-28, 08:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Ieyasu View Post
with you on this 100%

in original planetside I would just drop from tops of towers onto people trying to breach the doors. get a kill or two, die, respawn and repeat. Its a horse of a different color imho when the games storyline involves you not dying permanently and simply respawning.

games like COD where they have a team deathmatch where a player who goes 2-17 hurts the team he is on KDR is far more important of a stat to notice. In planetside 2, like in planetside it seems the more kills you get per hour or even minute would be a better stat to track or base player skill upon. Who cares if you get 5 kills to every 1 death if you only get 5 kills per hour?

Im forever lauging at someone who will spend 5 mintues of their time trying not to die (running or just camping out somewhere) instead of just fighting, dying, and being back in the battle in under 2 minutes time. I understand peoples reasons for displaying cowardice in real life, but a video game... ffs.
exactly. alot of players did pull constant 10-20/1 K/Ds, but they're only killing 20 players per hour, these are still above avg kills per hour, but nowhere near the numbers me and goldhaze pull per hour, we would do minimum 40 per hour(post 2005) in and circumstances and in mega farms could topout near 200. our K/Ds are much lower because of this, we would take risks and takon 4 people at once, others would not.

anything/death ratio is a non factor, like i say there are to many variables in relation to death rate.

playing like a bitch
camping
KILLING BITCHES IN A REAVA
Playing as part of a tight platoon, this will greatly increase your K/D.

also, id expect anything that can take out vehicles or aircraft to earn more XP than your typical infantry farmer. if the XP values are the same as BF3 and like what we have seen in the recent videos, getting 300+ XP for a pass on a tank in a AV aircraft it pretty tops XP...unless offcourse they have a really efficient infantry farming gun where you can carpet bomb a squad in a pass. :O

when the BR23 patch came out, i pretty much stuck to a reaver and killed(stole) high value XP target's like tanks, MAX's and rexo snipers that have been alive for alittle bit. I bet everybody else by days. it will likely be the best XP farmer again, that or a tank taking out other tanks.
Old 2013-02-06, 06:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #82
PTG HooT
Corporal

Agreed.
Old 2013-02-06, 06:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #83
duomaxwl
Captain

Old 2013-02-06, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #84
Elgareth
Private

I agree to what the OP said as well.

How often was a push successful just because someone sacrificed himself and ran into a heavily defended door, just to die a moment later, but bought his mates enough time to storm the building, taking the defenders out...

Those actions can't ever be displayed in any statistic, yet they also are important when considering player-skill (or ability... whatever)

"Have a good K/D Ratio" is too much of a dogma of many Shooterplayers, taught by most FPS games in existance...yet in Planetside, your personal K/D Ratio counts exactly nothing at all.
I'd simply put two scores on display: Points/Hour during assaults and Points/Hour during defense, along with Hours played Defending and Hours played Attacking. This, while still not really appropriate (as stated), would already be vastly better than K/D when you try to determine how much any player contributes to winning...
Old 2013-02-06, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
PsychoXR-20
Staff Sergeant

I would love if they removed the death count. I get far to obsessive over my K/D and most of the time is kills my enjoyment. I like the way PS1 did it where there was a session based K/D but not an overall. You personally could still then see if you were improving, but a bad session here and there didn't do anything. And other people couldn't base judgment over it. Now I can have a great session and go 4 and 1 over the course of a few hours only do go 1.6 the next session and completely ruin that.

And as other have said, there are much better metrics for performance in this game and K/D is about the worst.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault