Why 3 Factions? - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Important in every home.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-27, 08:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
Shadanwolf
Private

Re: Why 3 Factions?

Faction are a good idea because it allows a player to be part of a team from game start(you're not alone like in other pvp games). It engenders a reason to fight.

In most games one side eventually becomes dominant.Having 3 sides(factions) offers a natural counterweight with two other factions restricting the dominant faction.

Factions in PS2 each have different strengths allowing for a more divers play style.

DAOC ..now over 10 years old (with 3 factions) demonstrates the strength of the concept .
Old 2012-06-27, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Karrade
First Sergeant

In every game I've ever played where there was two factions the game was unbalanced after a time, and in some cases just became stupidly so. With people on the winning side quitting as it became too easy, and people on the losing side quitting as the mechanics didn't support losing in any way. It was very rare to have a neatly balanced map. Most people go to the winning side and that was that.

It'll be rare here too, but much more dynamic as a result. To put it in very basic numbers its not 1 x 1 x 1, its 3 x 3 x 3 for the amount of variables present.

Health bonuses helped in the original PS for instance also, and you had a term phrased as the unofficial 4th Empire, which were those who switched between sides often enough to benefit from those bonuses, or just to even out empires.

If you have a game that supports winning, such as PS2 looks to be, the effect is cumulative, people want to win and the masses move to or stay with a winning side. If you have a game that supports fighting more than winning, it isn't such as issue.

From an infantry grunts perspective if its anything like PS though what you'll see here, is good regiments swinging whole maps and believe me you'll know when it happens, you'll get about 20 seconds warning in chat saying such and such is on the way (if you are lucky) and them boooooooom .

Last edited by Karrade; 2012-06-27 at 09:31 AM.
Old 2012-06-27, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Vamoozi
Private

2 factions, one can overpower the other easily if its better.

3 factions. When one faction is with little territory, the other two have more fronts to fight on, so when the other two factions are distracted fighting eachother, the underpowered faction can take some territory.
Old 2012-06-28, 01:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
StarFault
Private

Generally, in my opinion, not only are there balance reasons for including 3 factions. Having 3 factions generally makes the fight for territory more dynamic, as with only 2 factions, you only have to worry about each other, but with 3, you have to worry about two fronts. I feel this will be especially be reinforced with the front lines combat, as you have two lines to worry about, one line against one faction, and the other line being in a different area. This will create a sense of urgency, as one faction will always be attacking and both of your enemies are probably not both going to be on defense, as mentioned before. That's just my opinion though, I'm not a vet or anything.
Old 2012-07-02, 03:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
FONKY
Private

It gives you more to shoot at :P
Old 2012-07-02, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Blue Sam
Corporal

More factions == more overall high-level strategic depth.
Old 2012-07-02, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
DodgeIt
Private

Originally Posted by thegreekboy View Post
Jeez, I can't believe this thread got to 5 pages when my question was answered in the first 5 posts. lol
Welcome to forumside.

Old 2012-07-02, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Airanuva
Private

It's not just balance here people... Faction loyalty factors in as well.
If there was only two, you'd be tempted to play both of them, switching based on who is winning. With three however... It is far more difficult to have separate characters to have a foot in each faction. Thus you stick to one, and end up becoming very loyal to it...
Old 2012-07-02, 11:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
The Loverator
Corporal

Wink Re: Why 3 Factions?

Originally Posted by thegreekboy View Post
Why not 2?

Because if you observe Games like Worst of Whorecraft ( Ahem *COUGH* ) and Stuff,
you will likey, quickly ... ... notice, that one Side has very often the "better" Players.

For whatever the Reason - and sometimes to an Extent of ridiculous Scale,
one Sides always wins ALMOST of the Matches, while the other Side is most of the Time nothing but
the Sandback and whipping-Boy of the other Side.

Three Factions will easily prevent Players to "puke" because of the Annoyance of one
Side being superior most of the Time.

For an Example,
if the New Conglomerate and Vanu Sovereignty notice, that for quite some Time/Hour's of the Battle,

the Terran Republic almost more and more takes slowly over of the whole Map,
may it be a impressive Gathering of highly skilled Player by the TR,

or just a "Slack off" of Players from the other two Factions,
if both Factions use their Heads for a bit, then they will AT LEAST stop to fight against another.

Jepp. For as long as possible and intensive as possible - so that they can both focus on drive
the Enemy's Troops back and get some Territory back into their Position.

This will be pretty nice, will it?

A Game which is NOT limited to only two Teams - and one Team is always the
Punching-bag of the other Site - getting Players more and more frustrated, making them
pissed off on a extensive Part of their Playtime, "making them antisocial", making them
become Trolls, or some other kind of "sad", angry Person's...

I witnessed the Community of WoW getting made nasty and antisocial as Heck,
for some Part - in the last Three Years.

greetings, LV.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions