Friendly fire, problem or not? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You! Out of the gene pool
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-07-02, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
maddoggg
Sergeant

Re: Friendly fire, problem or not?

I completely understand your concerns OP.
Beeing someone who plays fps games for over 10 years now,i know how problematic friendly fire can be on a public game,because public games always have atleast a few n00bs/trolls in them.
Dont get me rong,i dont hate ff,i love it as a feature when it's in competitive play,but in public play it's just not working.

I think many ps1 veterans dont realize just how big of a problem this can be,because the grief sistem use to work well in ps1(from what i heard).

But to play ps1 you need to have subscribtion,you need to pay real money for each account.
If you get banned you loose REAL money,
In ps2 however if you get banned it would take you like 5 mins to make a new account and keep on trolling.

Not to mention the fact that the gaming community in general have changed DRASTICLY since 2003.
Back than most gamers were nice and the trolls were the minority.
Now days with all the casualization and n00bification of games,there just numerous n00bs and trolls out there who would tk just for the "lolz".
Old 2012-07-02, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
super pretendo
First Sergeant

absolutely, friendly fire makes you consider your fire, especially AoE. Without it it will just be a spamfest
Old 2012-07-02, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Last I checked, you lose 100 Grief points an hour. They are acquired exponentially. If you have zero and mow someone accidentally, you might get 10, if you have 500 and you mow someone, you might get 100. The higher you get the quicker they come.

Old 2012-07-02, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Back than most gamers were nice and the trolls were the minority.
You've got to be shitting me...

Friendly Fire is in place to decrease AoE spam. Grieflocking makes it difficult to continue to TK beyond a certain point. If you've got to make a new account every half hour so that you can TK with stock kit you're eventually going to get bored.

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-02, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Krawanan
Corporal

Why has this been moved to new player questions :P i have been following PS2 for a long time, and this was just a concern of mine.

since planetside 2 will be F2P and it would be really easy to just make a new acc when you're banned
Old 2012-07-02, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Kezz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Krawanan View Post
Why has this been moved to new player questions :P i have been following PS2 for a long time, and this was just a concern of mine.

since planetside 2 will be F2P and it would be really easy to just make a new acc when you're banned
Are there really fuckwits out there who'll make new email accounts and game accounts and change their ISP regularly (to stop IP address tracking) and their network card and other system details (to stop configuration tracking) just so they can get killed the moment it's obvious they're griefing (another advantage of the grief system/FF - you can make a point. Pointedly. And the Grief system will forgive you if it's only occasional), and get banned every half an hour? The gene pool needs some bleach. Truly.
Old 2012-07-02, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Sirisian
Colonel

I asked them to move it since we've previously discussed this. It's been brought up in threads numerous times in relation to F2P and the the number of players.

Also it seemed like you were completely unaware that Planetside 1 had friendly fire, and thus were raising a new player question on how Planetside might handle this situation.

The bigger answer though is there will be a grief system, but the devs will probably be watching closely to make sure things go alright. The concept of "trolls" was something in PS1 also.
Old 2012-07-02, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Kashis
Private

Hey guys,

I think that friendly fire is a great addition to the game, since it makes it alot more real, and you have to be carefull where you shoot.

But i also have a few concerns about this.

How can you see if someone is on your empire in night time? From close it would be pretty easy, but if he's like 200 meters away you see him as an enemy, if FF would be off, you would find out soon enough ofcourse, but it is not.

And my biggest concern:
TROLLS

Aren't there going to be people who like hate an empire and then make a character on that empire just to team kill? Or just trolls who will do this for no reason.

Does anyone share those concerns with me? Or is there already a solution for this? And how did this work out in Planetside 1 ?
check your map before you shoot. lalala window lickers for the win.

@pursellTR
The Arm Of Decision In Battle
Keep It Simple, Stupid.
Old 2012-07-02, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
shadowsfm
Private

still waiting for them to add the feature that changes the color of the cross hair depending on who you target, friendly or enemy
Old 2012-07-02, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by shadowsfm View Post
still waiting for them to add the feature that changes the color of the cross hair depending on who you target, friendly or enemy
no No NO.

This is as good as cheating, being able to IFF someone outside of your visual range needs to die with PS1.

Old 2012-07-02, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Krawanan
Corporal

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I asked them to move it since we've previously discussed this. It's been brought up in threads numerous times in relation to F2P and the the number of players.

Also it seemed like you were completely unaware that Planetside 1 had friendly fire, and thus were raising a new player question on how Planetside might handle this situation.

The bigger answer though is there will be a grief system, but the devs will probably be watching closely to make sure things go alright. The concept of "trolls" was something in PS1 also.
Ok , i understand.

but i was aware of the fact that ps1 had FF.
because at the end of the post i asked how the friendly fire worked out in planetside 1

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
no No NO.

This is as good as cheating, being able to IFF someone outside of your visual range needs to die with PS1.
True

But maybe they could add this but only have it work on like 40-50 meters away from you.
Old 2012-07-02, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Monsta
Corporal

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
no No NO.

yes Yes YES.

If I am correct over 90% of all modern FPS shooters have this function. Including a crosshair blink, a friendly fired bullet sound and friendly player feedback ("Do I look like a Strogg!?"). This has absolutely nothing to do with cheating.

I personally wish to see that I can manually set my own crosshair color, and maybe have some variations of crosshairs visuals to choose. In overall, crosshairs are extremely overrated. All you need is 1 tiny pink dot in the center of you screen to go pro.

Last edited by Monsta; 2012-07-02 at 04:18 PM.
Old 2012-07-02, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Monsta View Post
yes Yes YES.

If I am correct over 90% of all modern FPS shooters have this function. Including a crosshair blink, a friendly fired bullet sound and friendly player feedback ("Do I look like a Strogg!?"). This has absolutely nothing to do with cheating.

I personally wish to see that I can manually set my own crosshair color, and maybe have some variations of crosshairs visuals to choose. In overall, crosshairs are extremely overrated. All you need is 1 tiny pink dot in the center of you screen to go pro.
Why don't we just add in targeting reticles around all players while we are at it. There is a point at which information becomes too available. The only thing we should have are visual and names, but the radar will almost certainly show friendlies as well. We don't need more IFF tools than that.

Old 2012-07-02, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Doxy
Staff Sergeant

Guess beta will tell if PS2 TK system is working or not.
Old 2012-07-02, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
shadowsfm
Private

how about a cert that all noobs should buy that they can easily replace with something more powerful (like a scope) once they become more comfortable with recognizing who is friend and foe

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions