How far will PS2 stray in terms of gameplay from modern FPSs? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Time out! My guns not working.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-07-08, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
NoDachi
Master Sergeant

Re: How far will PS2 stray in terms of gameplay from modern FPSs?

How can that be nicely spotted?

It's painfully obvious for anyone who bothered to watch the e3 steams.
Old 2012-07-08, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
haticK
First Sergeant

The only thing I could care less about is quick knifing. I can't stand it in games like CoD where if you come around a corner and theres an enemy whoever happens to press the knife button faster gets the kill. I would prefer it to be like what Counter-Strike knifing is like. You switch to a knife and it takes multiple stabs except when you stab in the back.
Old 2012-07-08, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by NoDachi View Post
How can that be nicely spotted?

It's painfully obvious for anyone who bothered to watch the e3 steams.
Not really. Most people's eyes are all over the screen where the action is happening, not fixated on the health bar. If we were actually playing and not simply watching a video, that might have made a difference in what we were paying attention to.

Plus, people typically only watched each stream once.
Old 2012-07-08, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
NoDachi
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
Not really. Most people's eyes are all over the screen where the action is happening, not fixated on the health bar. If we were actually playing and not simply watching a video, that might have made a difference in what we were paying attention to.

Plus, people typically only watched each stream once.
Maybe you're right.

I forgot I watched all the streams twice :/
Old 2012-07-08, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

That health regen might be an implant...

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-08, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Kezz View Post
I'm told they said we'll have regenerating shields.

If health regenerates too, Medics will still be useful for Reviving and maybe getting your health (if health is a significant part of your durability) back up quicker. If your squad has a medic, and the other squad doesn't, your guns dropping off the line to "regen" will be away for shorter times than the opposition's, so your average total firepower output will be greater.

Edit: Oh, and "TTK" is just a shorthand way of describing how toon robustness compares to firepower.
Oh goody, Battlefield 2 style of revive.

*OOMPH* dang I just died

*revive*

1 second later

*OOOMPH* dang I just died again

*revive*

1 second later

*OOOMPH*

"stop reviving me"

"But I'm getting great experience points"

*revive*

*suicide*
Old 2012-07-08, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
That health regen might be an implant...
Please oh please oh please let it be an implant. Shield regen is enough, none of this "oh my leg's blown off and there are no medics, let me hide until it feels better" crap.
Old 2012-07-08, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
DownloadFailed
Corporal

Originally Posted by Accuser View Post
Please oh please oh please let it be an implant. Shield regen is enough, none of this "oh my leg's blown off and there are no medics, let me hide until it feels better" crap.
Agreed. I don't think this game would at all benefit from regening health for just anyone. And even if it was an implant, it should regen health MUCH more slowly than what was shown in the linked E3 video.
Regarding the drop-pod spawning system, I wonder what would happen if you selected to spawn on a squad mate that was inside a building. I guess you would land on the roof. That could potentially be useful, if there are high-up targets...

P.S. thanks for the replies, everyone. Can't say I'm much more at ease, but at least the squad spawning isn't HORRIBLE and there may still be hope for only shields regenerating.

Last edited by DownloadFailed; 2012-07-08 at 11:05 PM.
Old 2012-07-09, 04:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
Aye, personally I hope they remove health regen and instead look into alternative means to restore health. Medics, medlabs, certable health regen packs. But we'll see just how it plays out come beta.
Health regen is very slow, takes 45 seconds to even kick in, medics will be far far far faster at topping a squad up and thus will greatly affect the combat effectivness of a squad
Old 2012-07-09, 05:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Health regen is very slow, takes 45 seconds to even kick in, medics will be far far far faster at topping a squad up and thus will greatly affect the combat effectivness of a squad
Taking the example at 8:10. He get's wounded at 7:50 and starts healing at 8:15-16 so it's not 45 seconds.
Doesn't seem to take more than relatively few seconds, around 8 seconds, before he healed up fully, after the regen starts.
You won't of course be able to rely on the regen in a firefight, even if you get the regen to kick in. I'm pretty sure it's meant to keep players battle ready between fights.
I think this could be facilitated almost as easily by having med labs, implants?, certable healing item or getting healed up by a medic.

I could see the regen presenting a problem when trying to handle a spec ops, or whatever one wants to call them, team trying to take one of your bases behind the lines. You won't be able to wear them down as easily as if there wasn't an automatic health regen.

It should be noted that we don't know if they have tweaked health regen after E3. So it's just one more thing to test in beta.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2012-07-09 at 05:21 AM.
Old 2012-07-09, 06:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
Taking the example at 8:10. He get's wounded at 7:50 and starts healing at 8:15-16 so it's not 45 seconds.
Yea sorry 45 secs is the number we were using in the MAX thread, still at 25 seconds or 35+ for a full heal a medic will massivly increase your uptime
Old 2012-07-09, 07:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
TeaLeaf
Corporal

I hope PS2 goes backwards 10 years in terms of gunplay with nearly 100% hipfire accuracy even while moving and low weapon damage. I'm actually deadly serious, modern FPS are so boring due to the lack of any real skill requirement.
Old 2012-07-09, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Health regen is in mainly for the sake of Infiltrators and other generally solo types. It can't compete with a medic and it never should.

Old 2012-07-09, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by TeaLeaf View Post
I hope PS2 goes backwards 10 years in terms of gunplay with nearly 100% hipfire accuracy even while moving and low weapon damage. I'm actually deadly serious, modern FPS are so boring due to the lack of any real skill requirement.
Nope.
Reaction time is just as interesting of a skill as accuracy, when applied to a strategic goal But if you like, you could put a red-dot sight on a Bolt Driver and walk around headshotting everyone with your amazing accuracy! Or would that be too much of a skill requirement?
Old 2012-07-10, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Seems like health regen has been removed, or at the very least wasn't in the build that Higby streamed yesterday.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions