PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Important in every home.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2013-07-31, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
DovahTerran
Corporal

Question Which laptop is better for PS2?

Yes, I said laptop. I'm a student and mobility is a must, even though a $500-600 desktop would be worlds better than either of these laptops I'm suggesting.

The laptops are almost 100% the same in every other performance respect (RAM, GPU, etc) except for the processor.

The ASUS K-Series 55N
The HP Pavilion g7-2240

It comes down to this: Which processor is better for Planetside?

An AMD A8 Quad core, at 1.9 Ghz, capable of OC to 2.8 Ghz?
Or an Intel I5 Dual Core at ~2.4?

Thanks guys. any personal experience is welcome to be shared.

I've read through Ailos' guide and pretty much everything else regarding PS2 tweaks, and I'm also already planning on using Gamebooster.

Last edited by DovahTerran; 2013-07-31 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff; Links, etc
Old 2013-07-31, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Which laptop is better for PS2?

The HP is out as it only has it only has a HD 3000, which is not good for gaming at all.

ASUS one I don't think will provide that good of a experience. Probably get playable FPS from the setting modifications, but don't expect any miracles.

Have you considered buying used or refurbished? You will likely find a better spec'd laptop letting you play PS2 a lot better plus other games. If you are I'll help you find one be it at ebay or amazon.
Old 2013-08-01, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Like Goku says. The HP with HD3000 isn't going to run the game well and while the Asus has better graphics it's not going to be all that great.

Gamebooster (and other "PC optimizers") has always said "snake oil" to me.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2013-08-02, 08:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
DovahTerran
Corporal

Well, I decided for a completely different one. It's got the same A8 as the ASUS, but a much better graphics card. It's even better than the one that my dad's got in his build (which I ran tests on to compare to my build), which is capable of running PS2 at medium/low settings just fine. I think I'll be good.

I'm totally aware the graphics are gonna suck. I don't care. I'd prefer being able to see the enemy a mile away as opposed to being blinded by godrays and bloom effects and all the prettiness that I would have if I got a better comp.

@Rbstr, the Gamebooster actually works. It does seem like on of those "fake miracles," but it actually does work. Even on this dinky Athlon Dual-core from 6 years ago that I'm writing on, I'm looking at at least a 10 FPS increase. Which would be much bigger on a newer comp; PS2 just strangles the processor enough on this build as-is to the point where any gain of ANYTHING is nigh impossible.
Old 2013-08-02, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

What is with the attitude? Totally not needed. If you enjoy playing sub 30 FPS, be my guest.
Old 2013-08-03, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
DovahTerran
Corporal

No attitude was intended. All I'm stating is this:

I've tested Planetside 2 on an older Quad core, an A6. Clocked a bit faster than mine, but that's what a little OC and good ventilation is for. And that older quad core ran the game fine. Even without Gamebooster.

I also have 8 GB of RAM, as in the computer I tested. I think they run at similar speeds, if not the same. I can't remember off the top of my head.

My graphics card is actually BETTER, by several releases, than the graphics card in the test computer. Not a lot, but it'll manage. Even if it's just a discrete-class card, it should get me by with a little tinkering.

The test computer gives FPS performance at anything from at least 20 FPS and upward in even the very worst fights. In anything but a prime-time clusterfrack zerg at the Crown, it runs like a dream. I can even get away with some render distance extending.

Through this logic, and a fair amount of luck, I can assume that the comp I've purchased will at least enable me to play PS2 to some extent even before I start the tinkering and self optimizing part.

I do know a fair amount of stuff regarding computers and performance. I've had extensive experience in tinkering and editing programs (to the best of my easily available/legal ability) to squeeze out every last frame; laptops, however, are a bit of a new world. They're a lot more finicky and unpredictable than desktops for a lot of reasons, and so I wanted to confirm my notions here with people that have been playing on multiple classes of computer hardware since the beginning of it.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum