PlanetSide Universe
PSU: WWHD? -What Would Hamma Do?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Old 2013-10-11, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Figment
Lieutenant General

GOP polls down to... 24%? Has the time come?

http://news.yahoo.com/why-republican...192943188.html

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1...ntent=10543651

Hmm... Chances of a third party anyone?
Old 2013-10-12, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: GOP polls down to... 24%? Has the time come?

If only. Doubt either parties are interested in sharing seats with a third party and will actively do whatever they can to prevent it.
Here's hoping that a third party does gain some seats.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-10-12, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
Doubt either parties are interested in sharing seats with a third party and will actively do whatever they can to prevent it.
Gerrymandering makes that nearly impossible. Watch most of these republicans get voted back in. That and if you poll the people if they like their representatives they'll overwhelmingly say yes.
Old 2013-10-12, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
If only. Doubt either parties are interested in sharing seats with a third party and will actively do whatever they can to prevent it.
Here's hoping that a third party does gain some seats.
It isn't so much the political parties as the elite establishment that controls both the Democrats and the establishment wing of the Republicans. These are the people that shut down the Occupy movement on the left, and seek to destroy the Tea Party movement on the right. They want politicians that represent the interests of this political/corporate elite and the central bankers above them, not the actual everyday Americans of their states/districts.

It isn't a third party that is needed (there already is one, the Libertarian Party), rather that the party system be removed altogether, and the Federal government be restrained in it's power closer back to what it was originally envisioned at the country's founding. The States need to gain back some of their independence and some States could also be broken up (like California). The United States were never meant to have a strong centralized government that dictates a one size fits all policy on all, the country is too politically and culturally diverse for that to ever work, let alone be desirable.

Also don't misinterpret the low approval ratings for the GOP. A principle reason for this isn't because they're not getting along with and obstructing the Obama administration, but rather because they're viewed as being too weak and not obstructing enough.

Last edited by Helwyr; 2013-10-12 at 05:12 PM.
Old 2013-10-13, 03:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sirisian
Colonel

Interesting. So it looks like we're going to default no matter what. I'm wondering how the system will react. I heard it'll have little effect within the US but will more or less affect other countries for a bit. Only 6% of the government was actually shutdown apparently so it didn't do much. (Some parts simply can't shutdown). Video.
Old 2013-10-13, 04:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Figment
Lieutenant General

Heh. That's one hell of a dictatorial move they did there, basically banning the opposition from making any motions to vote on that the majority leader doesn't want a vote on. =|

That's a lot of power in the hands of one person.

I'd say that rule should be taken to court... >.>
Old 2013-12-04, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
DOTAsucks
Private

We all know the republican party is barely holding on as is but trust me you guys will be seeing the sparks fly around mid to late 2014 and if it doesn't break. Then there will be the show of a lifetime. Especially for me since I am currently living in a dorm at my college in Florida. The campus will probably turn into a battleground.
Old 2013-12-04, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
DOTAsucks
Private

Honestly I do hope that the libertarians take over or create a new party.
Old 2014-02-02, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

The Republican Party is losing a lot of popularity because the moderate in this country are sick and tired of the bigoted social views of Republican candidates. The Gay Rights movement, the secular movement (including the increased coming out of atheists), among other social movements are sick and tired of right-wing appeals to religion and fear in halting research and progress. This has caused a lot of my own friends to stop voting Republican until they modernize their social standards. Debating policies of economics and healthcare is one thing, but for a candidate to say something like "homosexuality leads to bestiality" is going to turn a lot of moderate people away from your cause, regardless if they have common ground with you or not. And this is for the better. Its time for humanism to make a stand in politics, to which the common right-wing comeback is "oh you're all just Marxists..." as if that would even be a good reason to dislike someone anyways.
Old 2014-02-04, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

We definitely could have done without the Evangelical takeover of the GOP.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum