How to succeed as Heavy Assault? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pwned. Since 2002.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2013-06-19, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Holtzmann
Private

Question How to succeed as Heavy Assault?

As the title says, really.

I usually play Infiltrator with a side of Engineer, but I've been trying to diversify into a more all-around medium-to-close range combat role. So I started playing Heavy Assault, got myself a MSW-R (it was cheap and I really like it after trialing the other TR LMGs) and started playing.

Well, started getting myself killed a whole lot. So while I do feel I've been improving lately, I decided to ask if you folks have any tips for someone who's just started out.

Do you have any:
- recommended certs and loadouts?
- opinions on nanite mesh vs. resist shield?
- recommendations on how to equip a MSW-R? I'm thinking Soft-Point with a Advanced Laser Sight firing from the hip, with a 3.4x or 4x scope for medium range or NV for Biolabs and other close quarters.
- general gameplay tips?

Thanks in advance!
Old 2013-06-19, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

Re: How to succeed as Heavy Assault?

Howdy, while I can't speak a whole lot for the TR I know quite a few NC loadouts, and the majority of it should be able to transfer over to TR with little troubles.

For your ability slot it honestly comes down to a preference. You have your default nanoshield and then your Resist and Adrenaline shields. Adrenaline shield recharges at the base rank that a level 1 Nanoshield recharges but you also get a portion of the shield back on kills. These two shields completely absorb damage but lose energy when you're hit. The resist shield mitigates 40% of total damage and does not lose energy when you're hit.

So really you have to choose between weather or not you want to completely block some damage or mitigate all damage.

For your suit slot I know that a lot of people used to use flak but apparently that's losing popularity as of late in favor of Nanoweave. This is also a preference matter I feel.

In terms of what weapons to use as a HA the general rule on NC is Forward grips, compensators and High-Velocity ammo. I don't know how this translate to TR though.

For your utility slot I'd recommend carrying a couple of medkits over C4. You already have rockets for that job and a LA is much more devastating with C4 than a HA will ever be. Perhaps if you really start to love HA's you could invest the certs into C4. Medkits are a cheaper and universal alternative though and will save your butt quite a bit.
Old 2013-06-19, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
camycamera
Major

hello fellow terran!

the Heavy Assault class is the front line infantry class, running across fields with explosions all around, or mowing up dem kills in close quarters combat with the heavy machine gun. so you are going to have to man up and face the explosions as you run proudly into battle for glorious domination!

in all seriousness, i have only really have experience with the TR's HA stock weapon, the T9 CARV, but that is an absolutely excellent weapon, so i stick with it. that being said, i have no experience with the MSW-R, however i run on my CARV a 4x red dot sight, a laser sight and (because the flash is HUGE for me) a flash suppressor. however, the CARV, and of course all other HA weps, are excellent for mowing down groups of people quickly once you get the jump on them.

another weapon i recommend would be the mini chain gun, some say it is crap, but i beg to differ, due to its effectiveness. it is a fantastic area denial/suppression weapon, and is actually quite effective at range some times. i recommend seeing Wrel's video review on the mini-chain gun to see what i mean.
but anyway, HA weapons are fantastic air denial weapons as well, so use em to scare them off if you have nothing else better to do.

onto certs:

cert into Flak armour if you run into allot of explosions (significantly reduces damage of indirect explosions)

cert into nano-weave if you run into lots of people (gives you moar of dat green health)

cert into the stock nanite-mesh shield if you find yourself running into allot of explosions and bullets (however you could just leave it as your main ability, as it is useful for mowing down infantry as well like stated below)

cert into the adrenaline nanite-mesh shield if you find yourself going on long killstreaks of mowing down infantry (it refills your shield generator a certain amount after you get a kill)

i would put all of them into certain loadouts if you wish. i run the standard grenades and i also run medkit, but it might also be a good idea to get the restoration kit for the HA if you find yourself getting shot while you have zero shields and are healing yourself with the kit, it restores your health if you get shot again over 6 seconds.

as for the resist shield, i haven't tried it (the description of what it does is really not explained well, i might need to look into it a bit)

i haven't tried the adrenaline shield yet, but i know what it does and i find it may be useful to me, if you end up mowing down lots of guys. but maybe the adrenaline shield would be best for people more experienced with the HA, and can mow down people effectively.

well, there you go. good luck out there, fellow soldier, that is the most i can give you about HA feedback from the top of my head.

edit: read KesTro's comment a bit, and i learnt stuff about the resist shields and stuff. thanks, i learnt something today

Last edited by camycamera; 2013-06-19 at 09:41 PM.
Old 2013-06-19, 10:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
OCNSethy
Major

Hi Holtzmann,

Im getting back into my heavy again and having a ball.

I have used the MSW-R and like it alot. I prefer the default ammo, with an iron sight. I have recently gone with the TMG 50 and mini gun, which are both great weapons.

I used nano wave armour and resist shield. I also carry med kits for those 'cant wait for a medic' moment. As long as you dont stay still for long, that works for me.

Also, dont forget your rocket launcher. I like the striker for wide open spaces and the NS decimator for close up anti-Max work.

I like the concussion nade over the frag, when it works well, its great tool to help clear a room.

Just somes tips...

Dont be the first guy to charge into a room... let someone else grab the enemies attention and the bullets.

Dont forget to reload after an exchange. I dont know how many times Ive been jumped with a near empty clips :/

Hunt in packs. Your chances of survival increase in a group.

Use your shield - active it as soon as you start shooting or think you may be shot at.

Spam Q - Share the love

Hope this helps... good luck Battle Brother!

Last edited by OCNSethy; 2013-06-19 at 10:28 PM.
Old 2013-06-23, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
GS Ourous
Private

Important: If a tank's gun is pointing at you, don't come out of cover to shoot it with a rocket.
Old 2013-06-23, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
OCNSethy
Major

Originally Posted by GS Ourous View Post
Important: If a tank's gun is pointing at you, don't come out of cover to shoot it with a rocket.
I see this alot, actually
Old 2013-06-23, 11:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
GS Ourous
Private

Originally Posted by OCNSethy View Post
I see this alot, actually
And those engineers who jump in turrets right beside you xD
Old 2013-06-23, 11:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
CapitanCrab
Private

Hello.
Nanite Mesh, Nanoweave.
MSW-R with Advancer Laser and (probably) a red dot. Forget about 3x+ scopes, because u will not be able to shoot crap at 50+ m anyways.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions