Why is it class based? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You just got rickrolled.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-07-04, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Ratstomper
Major

Re: Why is it class based?

Originally Posted by diLLa View Post
Imagine playing world of warcraft and being able to tank the boss, do the most dps to the boss and being able to heal yourself during that.
*coughpaladinsaredickscough*

Ahem. Excuse me.
Old 2012-07-04, 10:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
DownloadFailed
Corporal

I think part of the reason that specialized classes are better in PS2's case is because
1.) It's easier for players to develop their character by focusing on specific stats per class instead of having a very broad selection of skills/attributes to choose from. What you would likely see is many new players running around with very ineffective builds, which they would surely learn from but would still hurt their team because they're not fitted to any specific role. And...

2.) It keeps teams from having a group of half-assed healers, engineers, and assault classes and designating one player as having ONE role that they're good at. If you wanted to be a medic with less healing ability and a bit more firepower then you wouldn't be an effective medic nor would you be an effective assault because you're somewhere in between. Medics should be healing, not running and gunning. Each class fills a role, and having a "Jack of all trades" would only be able to do a job kind of well that a specialized class would do really well instead.

Last edited by DownloadFailed; 2012-07-04 at 10:29 PM.
Old 2012-07-08, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

PS had classes too, they just weren't predefined. For the most part however, people used identical or near identical loadouts and all of them were designed to be as universal soldier as possible.

Old 2012-07-08, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
The Loverator
Corporal

Thumbs up Re: Why is it class based?

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
*coughpaladinsaredickscough*
As if the Paladin was ever overpowered through the always-intensive Pala-Mobbing since WoW Vanilla.

And again,

It's Class based so TEAMPLAY is needed and to make Fun possible by playing something that not everyone else can.

And: Give People a chance to play that what they can do the most, until they get tired of it and try something else.

Clearly one of the best Methods to give People long-time-Motivation for playing =)

greetings, LV.

Last edited by The Loverator; 2012-07-09 at 08:33 PM.
Old 2012-07-08, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
NoDachi
Master Sergeant

It's funny how I used to be strongly against the class system, and I railed against it hard on other forums.
Old 2012-07-08, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Classes are great. It allows you to implement powerful abilities without one set of abilities becoming the only thing people use.
You don't want a jump-jetting sniper.
You don't want a medic with uber-armor and personal shield.
You don't want every troop to be capable of C4ing your vehicle.

If you're hurt, find a medic. If you need ammo, find an engi(?). If there's a vehicle, let the LA C4 it, the HA rocket it, or the engi... mine it or something. Classes are perfect for PS2.
Old 2012-07-09, 04:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Redshift
Major

You're not locked into 1 class, it's just a way of stopping people using wierd unbalanced loadouts, like an infil with a spiker in PS1, as much as i loved it it was insanely overpowered
Old 2012-07-09, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Hosp
First Sergeant

To the OP:

I would like to see your 3 most used backpacks in PS1.
Old 2012-07-09, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

A class system does not exclude equipment customization nor some level of versatility.

It simply means that your equipment is not based on the size of your backpack or your type of armor. I'm pretty certain there will be some level of hybridization of classes in PS2.

The comparison is not great but priests in WoW could heal (best at it) but also DPS (decent at it). The whole balance around versatilitily vs. survivability vs. specialization.

In PS1, you could switch from cloaker to HA to MAX if you had the certs and were near a terminal. PS2 is a PS1 BR40 with more restrictions attached to the sets of equipment you can use concurrently.
Old 2012-07-09, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Runlikethewind
Private

One of the things I hated about PS1 was seeing a need on the battlefield, like the need for an ams or AA, and not having the ability to run back to a base and fulfill that role because I didn't have the certs for it (never made is past br20...). I like the class system in that I will be able to switch roles and play them all at the most basic level without having to worry about not having the right certs. At the same time I can spend my cert points to customize the roles that I play the most.
Old 2012-07-09, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by exoteror View Post
In PS1 you could be an assault, medic, engineer and tank killer in one class
PS2 HA class
Heavy Assault Rifle - check
Medpacks - check
Regening shields - check
AV weapon - check

Looks like I can do all that in 1 class and I get a built in pshield with it, I just cant help heal/repair others now. Team play supported... oh wait

Originally Posted by exoteror View Post
So you can't go all rambo anymore
"When you're pushed, killing's as easy as breathing."
Old 2012-07-09, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by DOUBLEXBAUGH View Post
PS2 HA class
Medpacks - check
Regening shields - check
AV weapon - check

Looks like I can do all that in 1 class and I get a built in pshield with it, I just cant help heal/repair others now. Team play supported... oh wait
The point is that now your medic and engineer have something to do.
Old 2012-07-09, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Rodel
Sergeant

It seems that the Dev's wanted cloaker's to snipe, Light assaults to have jump jets, and medics to have an AOE healing ability. I don't think this could have happened without a class system or it couldn't balance its self. I don't think they did it simply because Battlefield has it.

I'll miss the PS1 system. It had its strengths; but I'll have a hell of a lot of fun despite the class system. I'm more worried about the finality of this system.

In PS1 I could recert at anytime and this allowed me to redefine myself when my outfit needed it and it also aloud my outfit to have an tank day every friday or something of the like. As long as there's a 24hr ticker on the recert option I think thats a helpful and fun tool. I'm worried about not having this or are they allowing periodic recerts?
Old 2012-07-09, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
NoDachi
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by DOUBLEXBAUGH View Post
PS2 HA class
Medpacks - check
Regening shields - check
AV weapon - check

"When you're pushed, killing's as easy as breathing."
Except you have to choose between AI or AV with the heavy assault. And med packs? I've not heard anything about them.
Old 2012-07-10, 05:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
MCYRook
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by NoDachi View Post
And med packs? I've not heard anything about them.
There will be med packs apparently, popping them will cost you resources as with grenades.

Not that med packs negate the need for an actual Medic. Just like in PS1 where everyone and his dog certs Medical, although everyone has access to med packs for free. So the argument "Look! Medpacks! I'm still totally self-sufficient just like in PS1!" hardly holds.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions