Post your upcoming Sunderer overhaul ideas here - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The only thing Hamma likes more then politics is religion!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-07-01, 05:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rolfski
Major

Post your upcoming Sunderer overhaul ideas here

The devs asked us to come up with ideas for the upcoming Sunderer overhaul so let's help them out and post them here.

I recommend we use a brainstorm approach for this and then let them announce a selection. After which we can discuss why their selection is good/bad.
So the goal of this brainstorm is NOT to bog down in endless discussions why ideas are good/bad but instead generate as many of them or iterate on other ideas, to allow for maximum creative flow.

I'll start off with the Command Sunderer.

Concept:
A cloaked sitting duck that gives platoons/squads considerable tactical advantages in the battlefield.

Description:
You trade in weapon slots and AMS slot for a cloak module, strategic module and tactical module.

Strategic module

You switch to it by pressing F2 after hitting deploy, causing the Sunderer to launch a UAV. This UAV should be hard or impossible to shoot down, it just serves as an indicator for the enemy that there is a Command Sunderer in the area that they should hunt down. When the UAV comes online, it provides an overview cam of the area where you can zoom in/out with your mouse wheel to spot individual targets (it's NOT a radar that reveals red dots) and give squad/platoon orders by right clicking the mouse.

Tactical module
Switching to F3-F6 (Alpha-Delta squad) generates the first person view (helmet/hud cam) of the respective squad leaders. Mouse wheel switches between individual squad members. Right mouse clicking gives various in-game order options. Besides situational awareness and micro management on the battlefield, this will be an important learning/training tool for outfits to improve squad movement and individual skills.

Cloak module
Pretty much works as in PS1.

Optional: Artillery module
When area bombardment ever makes it into the game you can trade in this module for the cloak module. In strategic/tactical mode, you can order a Light Assault to paint a target/area after which this module allows you to do a strike.

That's it for now. Remember, this topic is supposed to be a brainstorm. If you disapprove with this or other ideas, don't go into great length why it sucks but instead come up with your own, better ideas or iterate upon others.
Old 2013-07-01, 05:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Qwan
Captain

Re: Post your upcoming Sunderer overhaul ideas here

Put back in the troop firing ports on the side, during beta this was a cool thing that they had for the sundy. This allowed small arms fire from the side of the sund for troops that were inside the sundy, besides the two crew served weapons mounted on top.

Last edited by Qwan; 2013-07-01 at 06:14 AM.
Old 2013-07-01, 05:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

All I want is to have a radar sundi which is actual usefull and that I can put other stuff onto to support it's role.

A radars sundi primary role is to roll with other vehicles and/or stand close to AMS, to warn them of nasty surprises. Giving other vehicles the freedom to not require a radar of their own.

The current problem is that there is nothing all too usefull to put in the second slot for a radar sundi (and that the radar sucks). I don't know what that could be, but I think a cloak bubble or something alike would fit very well.

Just give me my radar/support sundi.
Old 2013-07-01, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Bring Back the AMS in its true form and give me a dam cloaked bubble around it. I am even willing to sacrifice weapons on top. We can call it AMS Mk3.

Old 2013-07-01, 06:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
MrMak
Sergeant Major

From wha they already said the cloak buble will likely be a separate utility. Which is fine by me.

They also said somethign about a shield generator, fireing ports and a Radar so those are already on the table.

Last edited by MrMak; 2013-07-01 at 06:19 AM.
Old 2013-07-01, 07:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
AThreatToYou
Major

I'm going to throw around some faction specificity.

Thunderer Mod [NC]
Increases Sunderer HP pool drastically without reducing repair time. It also reduces the Sunderer's speed, makes it unable to equip AMS [goes in the same slot], and reduces the vehicle's maximum capacity to 6 players. This also makes the Sunderer heavier, meaning it will deal more damage when it rams other vehicles and will take less damage in the same collisions.

Raider Mod [TR]
Reduces the Sunderer's vertical profile by about 1/3rd [changes the model slightly]. This increases the Sunderer's speed and reduces the damage the Sunderer receives from HE tank shells and anti-tank mines. This makes it unable to equip AMS [goes in the same slot] and reduces the vehicle's maximum capacity to 6 players.

Aurora Mod [VS]
Grants the Sunderer a limited jump-jet ability, allowing it to possibly jump clean over base gates, tank mines, and really anything imaginable. It would have a significant cooldown [90 seconds minimum] and reduce the Sunderer's speed mid-air. It also increases the vehicle's traction [perhaps gives it a passive wheelward thrusting force], making it much easier to drive and keep stable at higher speeds. This makes it unable to equip AMS [goes in the same slot] and reduces the vehicle's maximum capacity to 6 players.

RAMMING SPEED

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-07-01 at 07:36 AM.
Old 2013-07-01, 07:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
Bring Back the AMS in its true form and give me a dam cloaked bubble around it. I am even willing to sacrifice weapons on top. We can call it AMS Mk3.
Ok, this is great news! I hadn't heard about it until now. So yeah, pretty much AMS Mk3 as described here http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...&highlight=AMS... Of course, if you want to go with more armor and weapons without the cloak bubble then you can do that too. If they are going to have stuff like less armor with cloak bubble vs. more armor without cloak bubble I'd like to be able to tell that visually in the chassis as well. That's if they are going to keep the AMS and Sundy on the same vehicle.
Old 2013-07-01, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
MrMak
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Ok, this is great news! I hadn't heard about it until now. So yeah, pretty much AMS Mk3 as described here http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...&highlight=AMS... Of course, if you want to go with more armor and weapons without the cloak bubble then you can do that too. If they are going to have stuff like less armor with cloak bubble vs. more armor without cloak bubble I'd like to be able to tell that visually in the chassis as well. That's if they are going to keep the AMS and Sundy on the same vehicle.
What do you mena great news? They never even hinted they are going to do that. And the separate AMS vehicle concept is from back in the Beta when the Galaxy was going to loose AMS but the Sunderer didnt get it yet. A separate cloak bubble utility is enaugh. That way organised groups will keep em in pairs with AMS sunderers creatign the same functionality but mr. lone wolf "spec ops" wont be able to put down a cloaked spawn for himself.
Old 2013-07-01, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
WSNeo
Master Sergeant

Router module to be introduced as an alternative to the AMS mod would make a LOT of people happy.

Old 2013-07-01, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by WSNeo View Post
Router module to be introduced as an alternative to the AMS mod would make a LOT of people happy.
Oh, I like this. Something that could be tied to this as well. With the Infiltrator update they were talking about allowing infiltrators to slot a ability to let them see mines, c4 and stuff through walls. Could be cool if this showed up for infiltrators with the ability slotted too. Give infiltrators something else to hunt down.
Old 2013-07-01, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

The Router idea is a good one.

Something I would love: Juggernaut Sunderer
Reduce the number of seats to 8.
Give 3-4 big guns: The viper from the lightning, except with 1 shot vs. the 6 granted to the lightning; or, an artillery shell that you can adjust range for.
4 small guns: Gun slots or ball turrets. Either would work.

Give it +20% armor so it's in line with the MBT, or maybe a little greater than the MBT, since it's not exactly going to be wiping the map due to larger profile and less manuverability than the MBTs.
Old 2013-07-01, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by MrMak View Post
What do you mena great news? They never even hinted they are going to do that.
Wait, this isn't being considered by SOE? I assumed it was since OP has 'upcoming Sunderer overhaul ideas' in the title. I wasn't aware they were going to do a Sundy overhaul at all until I read this thread. Is that not true? I guess what you mean though is that they aren't considering cloak bubble?

Originally Posted by MrMak View Post
And the separate AMS vehicle concept is from back in the Beta when the Galaxy was going to loose AMS but the Sunderer didnt get it yet. A separate cloak bubble utility is enaugh. That way organised groups will keep em in pairs with AMS sunderers creatign the same functionality but mr. lone wolf "spec ops" wont be able to put down a cloaked spawn for himself.
What do you mean? The AMS Mk3 idea from the link I posted was submitted back in 06/2012, before beta started. Did we even know that the G-AMS would be in-game yet? I've always thought the ground AMS should be a separate vehicle in the first place.

Why do you think it's a bad thing for a person playing as a "lone wolf" to have a cloak bubble on his AMS? What does it really have to do with squad/platoon play exclusively?

Last edited by Crator; 2013-07-01 at 10:31 AM.
Old 2013-07-01, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Umfutu
Private

I really like the command sunderer idea. For the optional artillery module: would it not make more sense to have an Infiltrator as the target designator, when or if the A.M gets added? Infiltration and spotting is what they are designed to do.
The juggernaut sounds like a cool idea as well. Maybe easier with 2 larger top mounted guns and 2 side mounted smaller guns.

As for the suggested faction mods by AThreatToYou the mods are a bit uneven IMNSHO. to summarize:
NC would get more HP and be a slow bumpercar at the cost of speed - not much of an improvement in comparisson to the other faction mods.
TR would get limited damage reduction from HE tank splash damage and anti-tank mines.
VS would get flying Sunderers - that can fly over gate shields, jump off cliffs, jump up on bridges and ledges and buildings. In comparrison there is nothing limited about that.
->
However, taking some of that in a different direction:
a mine clearing Sunderer.
Mine clearing module:
a faster moving somewhat more anti-tank mine damage resistant Sunderer, with limited crew space, 6 slots, one vehicle weapon slot, and no AMS as that is where the anti-tank mine gear is kept during regular transport. One could go with a huge drum or chain-flail rig, like for some of the mechanics for trash compactors, which takes time to deploy, a bit like deploying an AMS Sunderer now.
Short term shield module:
a "bumper car" module, a short term shield that can be activated, but it has a longer timer. Could be used to absorb one or maybe a few shots during a very short period of time, 4/6/8/10 seconds, alternatively activated when driving down steep hills and thus avoiding taking damage from hitting things on the way down, also active for only 4/6/8/10 seconds.

On a separate note - and probably not really for this thread
. . .
Is it possible to make the different Sunderer configs easier to find on the minimap for the own faction?
(a) Being able to see on the minimap which Sunderer is configured for ammo or for repair - which currently is only available by visual inspection.
(b) to be able to see on the minimap which Sunderer that actually is Deployed - which currently is easy to do on the minimap if you are in a Sunderer driver seat, but otherwise only by visual inspection.
- Not sure if it is possible or only would get cluttered, as one can have ammo and AMS or repair and AMS for example on a Sunderer at this time. Thus potentially requiring two minimap icons on one Sunderer. Could be sorted with having AMMO and Repair Sunderers with an enhanced outline on the minimap with a different colour outline or something and an X or O or whatever icon is preferred for a deployed Sunderer.
Old 2013-07-01, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Routers for all!
Old 2013-07-01, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Zuckerman
Private

I'd like a hover option to get a Sundy out of a bad spot. Sometimes they get trapped and it would be awesome to have a jump-jet style hover boost to get them out of crevasses and other tight spots. They still would be a sitting duck! No way they could fly very far! But yeah. If not that, then give Engineers the power to lift things up and put them back on the road. That would rock.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion