Pilot Ratings, to counter th TKer in a galaxy - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It took my virginity... I swear!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-13, 02:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Pilot Ratings, to counter th TKer in a galaxy

posted 12-11-2002 01:53 PM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think, as a side rating, that ecah time you fly a plane, it should earn you a rating:
For example, lets say I choose to be a Galaxy pilot, everytime I crash(into the ground that is) it takes away from me. But everytime I land in "Enemy controlled" territory, that earns me rating points.

These could be shown as say... a small set of chevrons ont he side of the craft... that way, people would see that X pilot is a GOOD pilot.

Peopel that crash (especially with others aboard) would have a negative symbol ont hier craft.. like say.. after 5 Crashes with ppl on board.. a yellow X... 10 Crashes 2 X's and so forth.

It should be HARDER to get god Chevrons then to get bad ones. There should also be a tme limit on how long BAD barks are credited to you. Seeing as EVERYONE is gonna crash once in a while.

The whole purpose of this is defeat the "intentional Crasher"

Unless of course, doing so counts as a TK... but thats not fair either.. accidents do happen.. especially when flying nap of the earth...
Old 2002-12-13, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

Commander Cain will post in 1 hour 23 min. Check time stamps. I know the future.
Old 2002-12-13, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
�io
Lieutenant General

A very good idea.

/Me awaits link and/or dev answer
Old 2002-12-13, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Archonxvi
Private

The only problem I could see with the idea is that the skin of the Galaxy would have to change each time a new pilot got in, and therefore might create lag, etc. Perhaps after "x" crashes, or fatalities as a result of crashing, the player gets their cert. revoked for 12 hours, or something to that extent, so they can take the time in VR to get better at it.

Last edited by Archonxvi; 2002-12-14 at 02:37 PM.
Old 2002-12-13, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000639.html

It died on the official forums... Bump it for me, see if the devs will respond. I would liek something like this personally.
Old 2002-12-13, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Corbie
Private

well how would a successfull flight be measured?

I definatly think that steps need to be taken to prevent people from crashing their aircraft to kill the people inside.. but I dunno that this is the best idea.

why? cause someone could grab a friend and take them somewhere..then pick them up and take them back..etc..etc.. get themself a great rating..then get a huge group of guys and crash em into a mountain. It WOULD happen.. idiots will go to extreme measures to show how stupid they are.

I think that the only way to prevent it...well I can see 2 solutions.

First of all..im betting that hitting the ground while flying ISNT going to do an incredible amount of damage. in that 9 1/2 out of 10 stars preview..the guy ran his mesquito into the ground and it didnt even seem to make much difference to him.

ok..so those 2 solutions.. they are:

1. Prevent any damage from being taken from crashing into something. This could be abused by people who will just fly around and ram stuff.

2. the best solution I can think of, is to put in an autopilot. If you take more than 3/4 damage from crashing, autopilot kicks in, and afterburners it all the way back to the base it was created at and lands. Inconvenient for those inside, but so is dieing.

ya know, now that im thinking about this.. there is SO much that can be abused here. A pilot could take a group of guys..fly them into the middle of no where..land the galaxy and log off :P. He could decide not to land at all and just fly circles above and enemy base till he gets shot down.

There is no escaping the idiots.. its just the nature of online games. About the only good solution..is to make friends with a galaxy pilot..or become one yourself.
Old 2002-12-13, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

The only way you really could get this to work is if you somehow got grief points to register for killing your own team by crashing. That would be difficult as hell because you can't really tell the computer to differentiate between crashing on accident and crashing on purpose. Best way is to learn from the first time. If guy intentionally crashes to kill his teammates don't get in with him again. It's a hard system to incorporate so you probably just need to pray that you don't have a pilot like that.

Sort of related question: Can everyone in a ship bail out if it's going to crash or just the pilot?

Last edited by BLuE_ZeRO; 2002-12-13 at 02:59 PM.
Old 2002-12-13, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Commander Cain
Private

I do like the idea but I have to agree with Archonxvi, it will cause lag
Old 2002-12-14, 07:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Zartax
Private

Another solution, which if I remember correctly is the way it works in Tribes 2, is that the only person damaged in a crash is the pilot. All others are just evacuated into the air as the craft vanishes in a cloud of fire. I would believe that the falling damage is not that big, if any.

And the obvious solution, join a squad that is serious and that you can trust, and only fly with thier pilots.
Old 2002-12-14, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

HOW WILL A FEW EXTRA SYMBOLS ON TEH SIDE OF A GALAXY "CAUSE LAG"???

ERGGh... I wil take a deep bre... screw that.

It wont cause lag, I am not saying put a 50 foot billboard with flashing symbols on the top of the craft. Jeezus. At most you might be talk 40 extra polygons/sprites to the side of a large "ship"

I wont say all the nasty things I am thinking right now so I will stop.
Old 2002-12-14, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
�io
Lieutenant General

Ok i bumped it while giving my 2 pesos. In short my post said the easiest thing (dev wise) would be a T2 like menu when you press esc(or some other button) where you could choose a "pilot rating" menu and see all their flight info in a few secs.
Old 2002-12-14, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Hamma
PSU Admin

Interesting ideas.

Of course I dont like them, now that people know about my "incident" nobody will fly with me.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-14, 02:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
�io
Lieutenant General

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2002-12-14, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Marsman
Major

Don't let him fool ya - Hamma is a great pilot. However, let's just say it might not be wise to ride with him on his first few flights. I've heard mountains seem to jump in front of his aircraft and things like that. After a few flights though, he does seem to know which direction is "up".
Old 2002-12-14, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Jinxmasta
Second Lieutenant

I think a pilot rating would be awesome because you just have no clue if the pilot is a TKer or if he's a good pilot unless you have ridden with him before. Another possible system would be that the pilot would get grief points when he crashes but of course everyone has accidents and it's not fair to punish them for that so the rating would be the best solution

I Qanamil_Rafiki for this sig!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion