Now that you've beat PS.... and other questions answered by Smoke Jumper... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Awaiting approval. Oh wait...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-14, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Now that you've beat PS.... and other questions answered by Smoke Jumper...

Author Topic: Plateaus
JRavey
Station Member
Registered: Nov 1997 posted 12-13-2002 01:49 PM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What happens when we max out our levels? Is there any point past trading bases with the other factions in a war without end? Won't people just max out a few characters so they don't need to reallocate certs, rather when they switch rolls, they just log on with their 'xxxxx class' character? We've already been told that we cannot "win" the war as an empire, we can gain to a certain high number of bases and go no further, conversely, we can not be defeated or go below a certain number of bases. As individuals we cannot "grow" past a certain point, but we cannot lose any progress. There is nothing to "hold" like we can with facilities, since individual progress goes only one way.
When we hit that point, we will have most characters set how they will be set, the empires will tirelessly and endlessly trade bases back and forth with no victor. Won't we be tired of trading the same bases over and over? We can march our armies to the front gates of our enemies' homes, yet we cannot enter to finish the job. Optionally, we can cower forever in our home and never suffer a defeat we've earned through poor performance. Where is the satisfaction in being beaten back to our home, then rebounding later? We'll have been indebted to artificial assistance given to the weaker empires and our existence will only have been maintained through the rules that will not allow us to be defeated.

*** DEV REPLY *******************

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 12-13-2002 02:53 PM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why would you play an MMORPG when you *know* there is a character cap at level 60 (or whatever)?
Pretty much because the fun is not the destination. The fun is the journey.

You don't *win* PlanetSide if you get to Battle Rank 20, and not even if you get 20 in Battle and 5 in Command.

You *win* PlanetSide if you have continuous, great battles over time so that everytime you log into the game, you are facing new challenges in new situations and creating new stories along the way. PlanetSide, after all, is an entertainment vehicle. If you are having fun, then we're doing our job well.

I've said it before...this is not the same old game you're used to with the Quakes and Tribes and Unreals.

Why is there an experience system? Is it so players can feel good about gaining rank and getting experience as they grow? Yup. Is it about defining their skillsets so that each character is specialized so that squads require multiple types of folks to be highly successful? Yup. Is it about a never-ending xp treadmill that folks feel they have to climb first or there's no gameplay? No. Not at all. The point of an xp system is to let folks feel successful while they stop being newbies. As you slowly gain cert points (and the ensuing skills), you'll become more and more confident with the various game abilities. By the time you've "capped out" at battle rank 20, you're a true vet and you can hang with almost anyone in the game. And that's where the real fun begins.

Don't worry...there will be goals beyond Rank 20. They just might not be the *same* kinds of goals you face between ranks 1-20.

Does this make sense?

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000721.html
Old 2002-12-14, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Author Topic: Will there be automated defence?
satantobe
Station Member
Registered: Mar 1999 posted 12-13-2002 05:00 PM user search report post
What i mean is will bases have turrets and stuff to stop one person from coming in on off peak hours and taking a base.

************** DEV REPLY *******************

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 12-13-2002 07:34 PM user search report post
Well...yes and no.
Yes...there are automated turrets on the wall. But they're not ALWAYS automated. In fact, if your Empire doesn't control an Amp Station on that continent, then your turrets will just sit there and not fire at a single bloody thing.

In otherwords, the Amp Station supplies the intelligence for the turrets. If you don't own an Amp Station, then the turrets can still be manned and used that way.

Additionally, wall turrets won't fire at anything *except* vehicles unless someone has deployed a bunch of motion sensors in the area. Until then, they can't see soldiers. And even AFTER the motion sensors are deployed, they can be fooled by enemies if those enemies walk instead of run (slow motion confuses the sensors).

So...defense is a lot less automated than you might have seen in other games. And reliance upon it is chancy, unless you're really paying attention.

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000727.html
Old 2002-12-14, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

goduranus
Station Member
Registered: Apr 2001 posted 12-13-2002 05:56 PM user search report post
can you take a galaxy and fly over the ocean to reach another continent?
if not i think that this should happen as people can always shut down the gates, but virtually not way of defending an entire coast against ships and planes.

***** DEV RPLY ********************

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 12-13-2002 07:39 PM user search report post
Your vehicle power supplies rely upon power broadcasts from the warp gates themselves. If you fly too far from the warp gates (5km or so), your vehicle begins to lose power before finally slumping and sinking below the waves.
Okay...that's the game rationalization. The gameplay REASON for doing it this way is that a) warp gates are wonderful strategic chokepoints, b) by creating a warp gate lattice, we create interesting gameplay as players have to move across the world in interesting ways, and c) with the latticework we've made, we've ensured that there is absolutely no way to "turtle" a continent. There's *always* a back door into a continent somewhere.

But, in reference to stick100's post, yes...the gates are HUGE. See some recent screenshots to get an idea. Basically, that pad in the center of the warpgate is big enough that 4-5 Galaxies can sit on it comfortably. And the warp gate bubble itself (the "no fire zone" umbrella) is half a kilometer in diameter.

We're talking big here.
http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/000730.html
Old 2002-12-14, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Jinxmasta
Second Lieutenant

Sweet info and now that I know more about motion sensors and turrets I feel much safer walking into an enemy base even when cloaked This means I will also be trying to take the AMP Station because if it's taken, then the other empires have near useless turrets other than people manning them.

I Qanamil_Rafiki for this sig!
Old 2002-12-14, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Marsman
Major

Plus now we have at least one definition for the function/purpose of an AMP base - holding it allows automated turrets. Now all we need to know is what is the function/purpose of an interlink base.
Old 2002-12-14, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

Sure is a good thing that dave isn't pushing the turrets to be like they were in tribes 2...

This sounds very well thought out and very fun.
Old 2002-12-14, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

They have had allot of time to think about this game - and I think they are putting things together very nicley.

Some great replys by Dave in this thread!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-14, 02:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

I would have posted it earlier.. but the forums were down.. :P

Was good info hehe. Hardest part is, comming up with the teaser line. If I make it lame, no one reads, if I say the wrong thing, I will catch flak for misleading people... its a tight line to walk.
Old 2002-12-14, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
�io
Lieutenant General

Originally posted by MrVicchio
I would have posted it earlier.. but the forums were down.. :P

Was good info hehe. Hardest part is, comming up with the teaser line. If I make it lame, no one reads, if I say the wrong thing, I will catch flak for misleading people... its a tight line to walk.
I always read every post so no worries.
Old 2002-12-14, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Originally posted by Dio
Thanx It's more a question of style. I like to add some flair to the Dev posts really.... Its more fun that way I guess I could have just put "new Dev Post" but that wouldnt be NEAR as much fun.....
Old 2002-12-14, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

Originally posted by Dio
Ditto. Not on the offical forum though... Weeding through that spam is like trying to find the sharp needle mixed in with a stack of blunt needles...
Old 2002-12-14, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
�io
Lieutenant General

Well i don't go on to the PSU-wannabe site since it's sub-par when compared to our mighty PSU.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion