Gameplay: Assault/Riot Shields - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Mmmm nutty.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-08-20, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Assault/Riot Shields

I'm curious how much variation there will be in the MAX units this time. The impression that I've gotten is that they're trying to amp up the uniqueness of the empires. If the VS max for example is squishier but faster than the others then an option like that would be nice for when it needs to fill a more traditional MAX role.
Old 2011-08-20, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Elude
First Sergeant

Riot shield < personal force field.
Old 2011-08-21, 01:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Well that's all in the balance, isn't it?
Old 2011-08-21, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Riot shields are a good idea, but with...
  1. No weapons allowed. Shield takes a weapon slot.
  2. No invulnerability towards a big caliber and big blastwaves. Probably minor damage reduction, but only as a desparate measure.
  3. Shield "depletion". Like a "blood screen, so real" but for a riot shield. It should not be able to sustain constant damage, shield carrier needs to rest. Damage to the shield might aswell slowly deplete stamina, and after it's zero, - deplete health.
  4. Heavy character speed reduction.
  5. Weakness towards AV guns.
  6. No friendly character stopping power. No griefing paradise.
  7. Possible separate class for it.

It can however (completely):
  1. Stop plasma.
  2. Stop flame.
  3. Stop EMP radar jam.
  4. Stop weak bulletfire. Like sidearms and light SMGs.
  5. Stop stabs and slashes.
  6. Block enemy characters.

Last edited by NewSith; 2011-08-21 at 06:30 PM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-22, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Heh, except for the jamming you just described a MAX.

MAX are riot shields taken to the next logical level. Either that or RoboCop, same result.

Why have a shield when your entire body can be a shield? Why give up a weapon when the same mechanism that enables you to move around with thick armor can also mount a heavy weapons platform?

Last edited by Malorn; 2011-08-22 at 08:43 AM.
Old 2011-08-22, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

When executed properly, a MAX Crash team accomplishes the same thing as a Riot shield equipped soldier. Plus, the MAX unit can fire and defend himself/herself.
Old 2011-08-22, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Why have a shield when your entire body can be a shield? Why give up a weapon when the same mechanism that enables you to move around with thick armor can also mount a heavy weapons platform?
It's basically another way for people to work as a team.

I have to say, my original premise is based on the assumption that using special support devices is an infantry only thing in planetside 2. I.E. hacking, healing, repairing, commanding etc...

If you had a shield but couldn't switch to a hacking or healing device, or if they allow Max units to assume these rolls, then the shield idea is pretty redundant.

Being able to access these devices and still playing a defensive infantry role is the point. I think the ability to combine many various offset skill combinations promotes creative teamwork.

consult ASCII grid diagram:

_____________Team 3: ___________Team 4:______

Team 1: Cloaker(med/eng/hack) _ MaxUnit(dps/tank) < Balanced (Centralised)

Team 2: Rexo(shield,med,hack) __ Rexo(eng,HA,cud) < Balanced (Decentralised)

___________^Utility Heavy__________^DPS Heavy__
____________(Lower DPS)__________ (Lower Utility)

etc.. for team 5 and 6 on the diagonals.

This is prolly the main reason why i think there is scope for a defensive infantry role/device that is even complimentary to MAX units.
Old 2011-08-22, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
It's basically another way for people to work as a team.

I have to say, my original premise is based on the assumption that using special support devices is an infantry only thing in planetside 2. I.E. hacking, healing, repairing, commanding etc...

If you had a shield but couldn't switch to a hacking or healing device, or if they allow Max units to assume these rolls, then the shield idea is pretty redundant.

Being able to access these devices and still playing a defensive infantry role is the point. I think the ability to combine many various offset skill combinations promotes creative teamwork.

consult ASCII grid diagram:

_____________Team 3: ___________Team 4:______

Team 1: Cloaker(med/eng/hack) _ MaxUnit(dps/tank) < Balanced (Centralised)

Team 2: Rexo(shield,med,hack) __ Rexo(eng,HA,cud) < Balanced (Decentralised)

___________^Utility Heavy__________^DPS Heavy__
____________(Lower DPS)__________ (Lower Utility)

etc.. for team 5 and 6 on the diagonals.

This is prolly the main reason why i think there is scope for a defensive infantry role/device that is even complimentary to MAX units.

IMO, the way you describe it, it would fit PS1 better.
Old 2011-08-22, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Yeah, well i have spent more time playing PS1 than i have spent re-reading released PS2 info lately...

The majority of gameplay and device ideas for PS2 are largely speculative
Old 2011-08-22, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I have to admit, the MAX does make this seem kind of superfluous. Maybe it could still be useful as sort of the Lightning to the MAX's main battle tank, something that's less powerful but more available, but whether that's actually necessary depends on how available MAXes are. And we've got pretty much zip about that.
Old 2011-09-12, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Scow2
Private

I'd like a shield as an option for MAX suits, kind of like the shield used by Assault Terminators in Warhammer 40k... it would allow them to plow through and disrupt defensive lines that lack Anti-vehicle weaponry indoors.

For other armors... I wouldn't mind an option to reinforce the front of the armor instead of offering infantry shields, leaving them vulnerable to Sniper, flanking infantry/vehicles, and indirect fire, but letting them be able to actually face the enemy, either defending against an onslaught with MCGs, Lashers, and Jackhammers, or leading the charge against a fortress with Sweepers and Flamethrowers.

On that note, I hope the Jackhammer works as a medium-to-long-range "Overwatch" weapon when Iron Sights are used this time around, like the MCG wanted to do in the first game as well... not unlike the ScatMAX's narrow-shot option.

Last edited by Scow2; 2011-09-12 at 07:47 PM.
Old 2011-09-12, 10:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Not sure noobhammers are making a comeback this time round...

However i do hope they add more defensive and support/utilitarian options for troops and MAX Units in general

Sounds like they are going more down the customisable side with MAX Units this time, kinda like what BFR's were able to do with their seperate, customisable arms.

Think Higby mentioned ANT's possibly making a comeback, so MAX units might be able to equip NTU siphons?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault