Fantasy Implants - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Best site ever
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like Fantasy Implants?
Yes 3 6.25%
No 36 75.00%
Maybe 9 18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-30, 12:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Re: Fantasy Implants

I kinda see like a Mass Effect type feel in its abilities and powers...but it just doesnt fit the theme of Planetside.

Now I would support more implants and activated implants. At most I think the more powerful ones would be an example of....

Focused Rate: Once activated the players reload time his reduced by 80% and can shoot 5% faster. While activated it has a constant and very costly stanima drain only allowing a player with full stanima 5 seconds of use. After use the player becomes fatigued and takes longer for his stamina to refresh.

Granted that might be a little extreme but thats as powerful as they should come. And with a price.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-30, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of spending X stamina for Y effect. I assume people didn't like the examples I gave and want to stick with the original Planetside implants of effect draining 1 over time. I'm fine with that since it was the original system.

I am kind of confused since people haven't really discussed much yet. I was hoping for more imagination from the community regarding manually activated implants.

Trying to think of all the possible gameplay styles and what kind of implants would be useful for them or ones that could help with teamwork. Trying to think of class agnostic ones really.
That's great but you still didn't answer my question. This thread reads like a thought fragment and the poll & discussion are meaningless because nobody really knows what you mean.
Old 2011-08-30, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Wow. I was way off. I thought this implant would allow me to command female toons to turn base towers into their personal stripper poles. What else would a "fantasy" implant yield a guy ?
Old 2011-08-30, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Chaff View Post
Wow. I was way off. I thought this implant would allow me to command female toons to turn base towers into their personal stripper poles. What else would a "fantasy" implant yield a guy ?
Making all the female avatars in his outfit Double-Ds?
Old 2011-08-30, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
That's great but you still didn't answer my question. This thread reads like a thought fragment and the poll & discussion are meaningless because nobody really knows what you mean.
Well not much is known about the NTU and nanite revival system from the story. This could be used to build a fantasy setting where technology is used to influence the world.

I already mentioned nothing like the normal MMORPG magic. I was referring to a more science-fiction fantasy. Apparently people have a very narrow view of fantasy. From wikipedia:
Essentially, fantasy follows rules of its own making, allowing magic and other fantastic devices to be used and still be internally cohesive.
That would include using implants to directly influence the world and interact with "ancient" technologies. For instance, using an implant to teleport using warpgate technology or something.
Old 2011-08-30, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Nephilimuk
Master Sergeant

I hate to be a dick but how can magic and science fiction sit next to each other? Magic by definition is the ability to make something fantastic happen with out understanding how. Science is the discipline of explaining how things work.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-30, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Old 2011-08-30, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Evilmp
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
I want to cast a spell.......

I CAST FLARE!
A rogue appears from the shadows and falls limp onto the floor. You have gained 35 experience points.
Old 2011-08-30, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I think you're over-thinking things a bit too much. I probably shouldn't have said fantasy as in "not knowing how a certain effect works" and just titled it science-fiction implants to include the idea that all the effects are well understood in science in the Auraxis world.

The reason I didn't was because I saw the ancient technology as so much more advanced that it bordered fantasy in its workings. Teleportation rings in the caves, the zip lines, crystals that heal/repair vehicles among other things, and floating turrets type stuff. Though the VS does use levitation in their tanks.

In the future can you write more so I don't have to guess what your argument is?

Also regarding the poll I believe it's useless also. I'm not sure what it's describing anymore since most people are hardwired that fantasy == WoW. Or that's that impression I get from the posts.
Old 2011-08-30, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

I put on my robe and wizard hat.

I cast Level 5 Vorpal Lasher + Permanency on my Suppressor. You explode in a fine red mist.

Me and Stone Cold ride off into the sunset on our magical steeds.
Old 2011-08-31, 05:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Nephilimuk View Post
I hate to be a dick but how can magic and science fiction sit next to each other? Magic by definition is the ability to make something fantastic happen with out understanding how. Science is the discipline of explaining how things work.
The difference between sci fi and fantasy is sci fi has technobabble. It can still be completely impossible and ignore the physical laws of nature. How do vanu vehicles hover? Don't know? Neither does anyone else.

That out of the way, I'm not seeing what this would add. Its not like there are many common fantasy things you can't do in PS. Teleport? Router, spawn tubes. Fly? Aircav. Fireball? Plasma Thumper. Haste? Surge. Invisibility? Cloak, ams, cloak field. Heal, Resurrect? med tool, spawn tubes. Magic Missile? Striker. Detect evil? motion sensors, audio amp, darklight, etc. Power word: Kill? OS. Cloudkill? Radiator.

Etc, etc, etc. So. What the hell do you want to add? About all thats missing from common fantasy tropes are crowd controls and summons(unless you count spitfires). They just have a different name.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-08-31 at 05:37 AM.
Old 2011-08-31, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Redshift
Major

Old 2011-08-31, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
How do vanu vehicles hover? Don't know? Neither does anyone else.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-31, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

This thread is pure madness.
Old 2011-08-31, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I'd like an implant to make all female avatars naked
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion