Gameplay: Suppressive fire - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stop it! That tickles!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 2.54 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-15, 09:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Ranik Ortega
Staff Sergeant

Re: Suppressive fire

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
We don't know how much shorter.

For all we know TTK could simply be 2/3 of what it is now.

I literally just said that in my post
Old 2011-07-15, 10:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Bags
Lieutenant General

Sorry, I read it as "not very scary".
Old 2011-07-16, 02:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Tikuto
Major

Bags I'm gonna eat you like fresh cake.

makes no sense at all ololololo.

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-07-16 at 02:51 AM.
Old 2011-07-16, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Coreldan
Colonel

Personally I've always loved games with the feature. My shooter background is mainly in quite realistic games likes Red Orchestra and Insurgency. I loved how you could actually pin someone down in those games.
Old 2011-07-17, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

I support this idea. It adds to Tactics and teamwork over self. Through it matters to how bases's work and to how big the insides are as maybe while inside a base it won't work.
Old 2011-07-18, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
I don't see why we need an actual mechanic or function for this in the game. It can already be done with what exists.

Example:
Yellow Squad has ten people. They encounter some dug-in infantry with heavy weapons. Even numbers manoeuvre, odd numbers remain in place and lay down enough fire that the bad guys either get shot, get down, or get gone. Meanwhile, even numbers are moving around to flank.
This is how I felt as I read the OP. I don't think we need any stat buffs added for this tactic. People already have enough issues with stat buffs from skill points that the devs have hinted at.

It's a great tactic in Planetside though, even today.
Old 2011-07-18, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Volw
First Sergeant

/facepalm

Please do play any of the games this system is implemented in.

Most of the people seem to read it. 'oh noes! stat buff! it's not an RPG!'.

Which is absolutely bullshit, as the same could be said about pretty much any feature. Pshield - stat buff. Crouch - stat buff. Plasma - aoe dot/debuff. Even bloody aim/zoom is a buff!

Putting down suppressive fire in PS1 does not work, unless you are literally zerging the enemy and have a vast superiority in numbers or heavy ordinance. Any other time, even if 2:1, I can sit behind my rock and kill whoever's trying to flank, as they still have to come to me and I still get bits and pieces to hide behind. Unless they bring in too much plasma.
Old 2011-07-19, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
dm Akolyte
Corporal

Here's how you get suppressing fire:
Regenerating health/armor

But not CoD style, exactly. Health regenerates, but slowly, and will only start regenerating a notable number of seconds after you last take damage.

So if someone is low on health, they might run for cover to recharge. Laying down a constant stream of fire at their cover would make them keep their head down, because any stray bullet would reset the countdown before they start recharging.

So while they're pinned down, someone runs up and 'bunkers' them, in paintball terms. Yay teamwork!
Old 2011-07-19, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Volw View Post
/facepalm

Putting down suppressive fire in PS1 does not work, unless you are literally zerging the enemy and have a vast superiority in numbers or heavy ordinance. Any other time, even if 2:1, I can sit behind my rock and kill whoever's trying to flank, as they still have to come to me and I still get bits and pieces to hide behind. Unless they bring in too much plasma.
I think supressive fire works fine in PS1 now. It gets used on me all the time. Using my Phoenix behind cover works great until a couple of bad guys locate me and drop me with their HA, 1 takes pot shots and tries to keep me pinned down while the other rushes me for the easy kill. I'm glad you can win in those situations, but I'm not that awesome.
Old 2011-07-21, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
wildcat140679
Sergeant

Suppressive fire is psychological warfare. Fear of getting hit by a bullet and being injured or killed. Because of that fear, “suppressive fire” is possible.

That fear is non-existing in games or at least not equal to the level in real live. Life has very little value in a game. You die, re-spawn and try a gain, to some it have more value than another, but in general you die re-spawn and try again and leave it by that.

I had a similar idea scribbled down, but you seem to have beaten me to it

As I read through the post I wondered if this these additional hit effects would fit in PS2, for there are more at home in combat simulation games like ArmaII

Those additional hit effects like vision distortion (concussion, vision blur, bloody vision) , reduced accuracy, reduced mobility are great way's to up the stakes and the value of not getting hit by enemy fire, but are they suited for a fast past MMOFPS?

Nevertheless I believe the intensity should be based on your health level. If armor absorbs most of the damage like in planetside, than the first few hits will not matter much nor have much of an big impact, but as your armor gets stripped away and damage seeps through you will take health damage, those hits that cause health damage should randomly cause bullet hit effects, vision blur, movement reduction, reduced accuracy and so on. The duration of those effects should only be brief or stay if health levels drop to low. Mimicking a wounded state with increased handicaps on top of low health and damaged armor.

Your idea on how to implement it and effect having it spread out along nearby troops I don't really like. I'm pretty sure it will get the desired result, but at the cost of fun factor of the game and add more frustration to it, realism fans might like it, but I don't believe the have a large player base of those who played Planetside.

As much as I like realism and would not mind to see additional effects/handicaps of being hit/injured by hostile fire, the more I think about it, the more I believe it should not be in PS2.

Last edited by wildcat140679; 2011-07-21 at 01:38 PM.
Old 2011-07-23, 04:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
CutterJohn
Colonel

I could handle a suppression mechanic. Make it, instead of increasing cof by 10 or 20%, increase the cof by 10 or 20 minutes of angle.

This makes it only nominally useful at short ranges, but quit effective at disrupting snipers/av rifle users at long ranges.

Also, as for realism arguments people keep putting out.. In PS1 you are literally reborn by the nanites. They think 'Ah fuck it, I'll respawn in 15s, lets try it' too.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-07-23 at 04:42 AM.
Old 2011-07-23, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

For anyone who wants to know about what this guy is talking about along with breaking contact or clearing a room go to armystudyguide.com and search for "battle drills". This is either making contact with the enemy or reacting to enemy contact. The only real difference is if you or the enemy shot first.
Old 2011-07-25, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

We already have suppressive fire in PS. Only a total idiot or a newbie keeps standing in the open while getting overwhelmingly shot at. And it's really hard to think, aim and shoot in such situation, so there's no point in making an RPG out of an FPS. Nothing personal, but this idea is terrible.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault