NPC's in planetside? - Page 15 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Guaranteed to work, unless it doesn't
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-21, 04:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #211
MGP
Sergeant

Re: NPC's in planetside?

What's with all the "add animals for better immersion" thing?
Today, when i was going to work, i haven't seen any deers or bears around. Mostly humans and vehicles. Still i feel pretty immersed.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #212
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by MGP View Post
What's with all the "add animals for better immersion" thing?
Today, when i was going to work, i haven't seen any deers or bears around. Mostly humans and vehicles. Still i feel pretty immersed.
Did you see birds?

If you didn't see birds something's wrong with where you live.

Like even inner city areas have birds and rodents.

I see animals everywhere I go and we all talk and sing together like it's a big Disney Movie.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #213
Shogun
Contributor
General

that´s why i suggested to only spawn animals around lonesome players.

in a fight you feel immersed enough, but this changes when you are crossing the cont on your own.

if you go to work, and there were no vehicles, no humans and no animals, yould you still feel immersed?

but it´s not only about animals... a little movement of the plants, like leaves moved by wind, or rivers with moving water. all scalable to automaticly minimize when the army comes to take all the framerate.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-02-21, 04:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #214
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

Well I hate to say it but Planetside 1 was supposed to have them, but they were not added because back then they wanted to pre-load every texture in the game beforehand to guarantee a seamless experience, and with slow load times of the day, decided it wasn't worth it. At least that was my understanding.

Personally I want to fight in an interesting and living world, not a world devoid of all interesting features like small animals. That kind of thing, as long as they're passive, will only add to the experience of the game, not detract.

Now here's a picture of some velociraptors in the game engine:

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

in a fight you feel immersed enough, but this changes when you are crossing the cont on your own.

if you go to work, and there were no vehicles, no humans and no animals, yould you still feel immersed?

but it´s not only about animals... a little movement of the plants, like leaves moved by wind, or rivers with moving water. all scalable to automaticly minimize when the army comes to take all the framerate.
I like these ideas, it makes sense mobs wouldn't be near fighting anyways, so if you were alone, and not fighting, that's where they'd be.

Last edited by RedKnights; 2012-02-21 at 04:14 AM.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #215
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Did you see birds?

If you didn't see birds something's wrong with where you live.

Like even inner city areas have birds and rodents.

I see animals everywhere I go and we all talk and sing together like it's a big Disney Movie.
My town is full of magpies crows and pigeons
Old 2012-02-21, 04:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #216
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Are a lot of people forgetting that in PS2 travelling across a whole continent will not be the case any more?

Highby wants the whole pace of fights to be quicker, so if you aren't already immersed within a fight or group then something is wrong.

Also, another thing. We don't know how the Forgelight engine will cope with amount of players they hope for.
Old 2012-02-21, 07:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #217
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by RedKnights View Post
Well I hate to say it but Planetside 1 was supposed to have them, but they were not added because back then they wanted to pre-load every texture in the game beforehand to guarantee a seamless experience, and with slow load times of the day, decided it wasn't worth it. At least that was my understanding.

Personally I want to fight in an interesting and living world, not a world devoid of all interesting features like small animals. That kind of thing, as long as they're passive, will only add to the experience of the game, not detract.

Now here's a picture of some velociraptors in the game engine:

actually I like think think they weren't added due to the fact that the project manager at the time found out what they were doing and told them to get back to real work

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-02-21, 07:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #218
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
actually I like think think they weren't added due to the fact that the project manager at the time found out what they were doing and told them to get back to real work
Old 2012-02-21, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #219
Hamma
PSU Admin

NPC's of some sort were in fact planned for PlanetSide 1. They even designed the AI for them.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-02-21, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #220
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Your all saying no. But imagine the viral videos of people running over rabbits with tanks, or a sniper crapping his pants when a rabbit runs into his scope of view. Anything that makes me feel like im playing in a real world is only good news to me. Human NPC's ide probably say no to though. Even though the concept of dropping on an enemy base with NO ONE WHATSOEVER INSIDE IT! is rediculous.

And im a big fine of strategic choices. Cloaking and running into a forest only to have my persuers ripped apart by horney space apes sounds good to me.... but you know.... im into that stuff.
Old 2012-02-21, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #221
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by NivexQ View Post
Is there ever a time that you aren't just a complete asshole to everyone around you? My statement stands firm. If you have an argument against it, then back it up. Putting "NO" in all caps adds nothing to the discussion.

Honestly I don't know what the discussion is at this point past this page because I just had to reply to you.

Also, to everyone that's responding to this and saying that PvE doesn't belong in Planetside 2, read the suggestion again. It doesn't say anything about PvE. Nobody wants PvE. We simply want some immersion. It would be nice to have a living, breathing world to go along with our PvP.
The great thing about Planetside is that it is a living world because we the players make it so. Tank columns, infantry assaults, sky battles, that's all the immersion I need, because I don't need flocks of birds or screaming NPCs running around a base to give me true game immersion.

Admittedly, I didn't read anything besides the OP and your post, so not sure if someone came up with a better idea, but at the moment I have to give my disapproval of any kind of NPC in the game besides, maybe, a once in a while event where mindless alien monsters attack a base in hordes and it's up to us and our MCGs to mow down the endless hordes.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-02-21, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #222
alienmoose
Corporal

NPCs might be cool but only if they also add more Sims-like features like a restroom urgency gauge for your character and possibly a hunger meter that degenerates on a fixed basis that correlates directly to the body size and stomach girth of your character, which by the way is another thing I hope they add - sliders for fat and skinny character models...otherwise I will likely deduct points from the immersion scale in my review of the game. With all of these features and NPCs then I will really have no reason to go outside except to say that I left the house when my parents ask.
Old 2012-02-21, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #223
TekDragon
Contributor

There was plenty of room for NPC's in PS1. Sanctuary felt like a virtual reality room everything was so sterile and automated.

Now that Sanctuary has been axed, there's no real room for NPC's.
Old 2012-02-21, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #224
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by alienmoose View Post
NPCs might be cool but only if they also add more Sims-like features like a restroom urgency gauge for your character and possibly a hunger meter that degenerates on a fixed basis that correlates directly to the body size and stomach girth of your character, which by the way is another thing I hope they add - sliders for fat and skinny character models...otherwise I will likely deduct points from the immersion scale in my review of the game. With all of these features and NPCs then I will really have no reason to go outside except to say that I left the house when my parents ask.
You forgot [sarcasm][/sarcasm], I hope

Originally Posted by TekDragon View Post
There was plenty of room for NPC's in PS1. Sanctuary felt like a virtual reality room everything was so sterile and automated.

Now that Sanctuary has been axed, there's no real room for NPC's.
There's gonna be cities/urban areas in PS2, so there's room for human npcs, but I don't agree with human npcs, actually. They'll get in the way. The only way I see that working in any way is if, when fighting happens, they immediately run like crazy in terror for some super safe room that nobody can get in. But that'd be stupid.

What I want to see is some just a few animals. It's not like I want the world cluttered with them. Just a couple. Every once and a while i'd like to see the Auraxis version of a deer, or a rabbit. Some birds flying around, even if we aren't able to interact with them, would be cool.

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know
Old 2012-02-21, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #225
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

I'd bet $10 that if NPCs were added to PS2 then five years from now they would be treated like the BFRs of PS2 - "zomg they ruined everything! *hate hate hate scream*"....
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion