I find there to be one major flaw with flying. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'll bet you're naked right now...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-29, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
EVILoHOMER
Major

I find there to be one major flaw with flying.

You cannot out maneuver someone else to counter attack them. Every single person I've attacked in a Scythe, Reaver or Mosq has always died or had to run away into enemy territory and have never lost me by being better. I've killed some really good pilots just because I've seen them first and you get to know who is good and who isn't over time. I've experienced the same thing, if they've seen me first then it is almost impossible to turn it around on them, especially with how quick the TTK is and how powerful AA is. usually in an aircraft you're pretty much pointless, more so than in Planetside because you have to spend ages unlocking stuff to make it the slight bit useful.

I've played a lot of games with flight in and this is something quite unique to Planetside 2 purely because flying is too easy and isn't momentum based. Really all you have to do is see the direction they're flying in and copy the same, there are really no tricks you can do. To make things worse is the slightest tap to anything and you're dead so trying to fly in trees like Planetside and you're done for. I find it funny also how it is so hard to judge your size in Planetside 2, I can fly under something thinking I'm safe and the next thing I know I'm blowing up.

I dunno but I find flying unsatisfying and the controls aren't the best either. The best way I can describe it is if they tried to mix Planetsides movement with Planetside 2s and didn't pull it off well.
Old 2012-10-29, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Serpent
Staff Sergeant

Re: I find there to be one major flaw with flying.

Yep. The Scythe SHOULD allow us to do exactly this- but No... That is why the Scythe is underpowered right now. There isn't anything special about it. It's as slow as the Reaver, and does less damage than it, while the Mosquito is the fastest but doesn't do quite as much damage as the reaver. The Scythe SHOULD be able to make an easy u turn or something (or a loop-the-loop etc.). But you can't, as the enemy plan can do it just as easily as the Scythe can...
The aircraft in general need tweaks to make the viable. The rocket pods SUCK all around, it takes waaaay too long to kill a person much less a vehicle, and with so many ways of taking aircraft down... meh not surprised to see people complaining.
Old 2012-10-29, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Wow, I don't usually get to do these categorically. I simply couldn't disagree with you harder, and that's taking your normal post litany into account.

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
I've killed some really good pilots just because I've seen them first . . .
This is a fundamental truth of dogfighting. Why you'd complain that it's captured here is confusing to me.

I've played a lot of games with flight in and this is something quite unique to Planetside 2 purely because flying is too easy and isn't momentum based.
I assure this is not unique to Planetside 2. I'd also prefer a more flow-derived flight model, but having one wouldn't change the fact that when you get bounced, you're dead. This is the principal reason for wingmen and radars, chronologically speaking.

Really all you have to do is see the direction they're flying in and copy the same, there are really no tricks you can do.
Summarily, no. If you have the input to support it, you can high-gee the hell out of things. I've seen some pretty spectacular defensive barrel rolls, for instance. Anything that doesn't involve disimilar lift is on the table, including stalls that would kill you in a traditional flight model. I'm saying this as respectfully as I can here - try harder.

To make things worse is the slightest tap to anything and you're dead so trying to fly in trees like Planetside and you're done for.
Ek = 1/2 m v^2. Would you have it differently? There's a cost to diving for the deck - you might fuck it up.

I dunno but I find flying unsatisfying and the controls aren't the best either. The best way I can describe it is if they tried to mix Planetsides movement with Planetside 2s and didn't pull it off well.
My only suggestion here is to grab yourself a cheap stick and dig in. You may find it a very different game.

Last edited by maradine; 2012-10-29 at 07:54 PM.
Old 2012-10-29, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Mango
First Lieutenant

There is a reason real pilots have wingmen...
Also there is a reason why soldiers roll in a fireteam.
A military is supposed to opperate as a team not as a bunch of uncoordinated dude-bros.
Old 2012-10-29, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SixShooter
Captain

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=49545

I think the video in this thread discredits the OP. You gotta be like Han Solo and learn a few ‘manuvers’…

Old 2012-10-30, 02:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Dagron
Captain

I have to agree with the "play as a team" remarks. I'm not a very good pilot, but i've faced other people that seemed to be around my level of skill and they only managed to evade me by not being alone.
Old 2012-10-30, 04:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Gortha
First Sergeant

Nice read @ EvilHomer

I have the exact same feeling.
While the flight model is way advanced compared to PS1,
it is wrong designed. The flight engine could let us have really nice dogfights,
but the the TTK is too low or the Front-Guns are too strong.

http://z0r.de/1573
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion