News: LevelCap and TotalBiscuit post EUS experience - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: where all bras are off!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-29, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Chewy
Major

Re: LevelCap and TotalBiscuit post EUS experience

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post
Because clearly he has to do it to prove himself to people who already made up their minds about him before they even knew who he was.

I knew about him long before EUS. It doesn't take a masters to see what kind of person and gamer his is from the videos he puts out. SeaNanners only posted videos of source games and other twitch shooters with an odd "why not" game from time to time. He plays games and posts videos to have fun, that's it. Anything past the fun parts of a game SeaNanners more or less ignores. He plays video games to play games.

That list bit of "plays games to play games" sounds rather like a no brainer to most right? Well it's not.

I, for example, play video games to be immersed in their worlds and not for the sole purpose of fun. I can't play a game if it doesn't bother to immerse or give reason for what happens in game. Look at TF2, Id love to get into that game because of it looking like fun yet after years of it sitting untouched I still can't play that game for it not giving a reason to be killing other than red v blue.

To play just to play is a horrible quality for a leader. Examples of leadership are TB getting into character for his events. In EUS he took on the role of a TR leader and made real use of what he had around him. He did the same when he did the TGS Chivalry Dual-a-Thon. LevelCap used his know how of the game to do his thing. Hell, even Toby was doing a better job at being a leader for learning the game.

SeaNanners is the type you put into a fight, maybe make squad leader tops. Use him to do grunt work and put those twitch skills to use in base fights. For fucks sake, according to LevelCap's video posted here SeaNanners was STILL learning PS2 during the EUS. Anyone in a leader role should have damn near mastered at least parts of the game in the months SOE gave them to prepare.

Great, Im derailing another thread for this topic. Is it a case of me not learning and easily baited, or is there something to this?
Old 2013-01-29, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

As much as I value TB and his oppinion on games, I have to disagree at least on some points. I do not have a YT and or Google account so just putting it here because everybody seems to just repeat this unreflectedly.

For one (as already mentioned) the information was there for everybody to see. If only VS players are able to read then well... are we getting "nerf VS reading ability" threads in the official boards now?

Also the whole "VS hold everything on every server". For a start it wasn't the situation on every server (and even if it would have been, see the "reading argument" above).
For example on Miller it was the TR who had VS and NC locked at their warpgates when the event started. And we did not get a fancy reset! And still Miller VS was able to win all three challenges.

So please, those two "arguments" why the event was "not optimal" are nonesense. I wonder if TB is holding up to his standards and removes the video...
But in the end, the whole event was just... faulty by design. To say at least.

Last edited by Emperor Newt; 2013-01-29 at 04:04 PM.
Old 2013-01-29, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Rothnang
Major

I love this accusation of leaking the rules to the VS outfits. That's not what happened, the rules were available to everyone days before the event...
Old 2013-01-30, 07:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Graywolves
General

I like how everyone's getting defensive over the legitimacy of an event which had no focus on competition.
Old 2013-01-30, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Mietz
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Emperor Newt View Post
I wonder if TB is holding up to his standards and removes the video...
I'm not holding my breath.
His speeches about quality in his videos are only relevant to the ones where he gets so much flak and downvotes that he is forced to take them down.
I don't believe for a minute he has actually any integrity to take down false information unless pressed, hard.
There are other vids still on his channel that completely misrepresent games and their mechanics.

Also having integrity would suggest to re-upload videos/games/content where you were wrong about something and correcting your mistakes, instead of applying copious amounts of "internet memory hole".

Don't, think people forgot the "WTF is... Dungeon Siege 3" vid that just got deleted after 2 days and the damage was already done.

TB and other similarly popular channels have massive amounts of sway in the consuming behavior of their subscribers.
TB holds nearly a million subs, with his videos getting around 100-200k views during the first 48h. Thats a lot of buying power.
On the other hand, channels like these don't share in any -responsibility- for what they do or say beyond their personal loss of subscriptions and revenue.
Old 2013-01-30, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

I honestly think he probably just didn't know some of the info was revealed.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-01-30, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Mietz
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I honestly think he probably just didn't know some of the info was revealed.
Then he shouldn't talk about it like its some big unfair conspiracy.

Also for someone that was hired to not know when or where the event you were hired for actually starts... lets say I'm skeptical and not buying it.
Old 2013-01-30, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Mietz View Post
Then he shouldn't talk about it like its some big unfair conspiracy.

Also for someone that was hired to not know when or where the event you were hired for actually starts... lets say I'm skeptical and not buying it.
They all knew when, obviously. We have no idea if SOE told TB and the others that they would reveal which continent they would be fighting on at a predetermined time. For all we know SOE's right hand might not have known what the left was doing.

There's wasn't a VS conspiracy, nor do I think there's a conspiracy to spread false information with the express purpose of getting people to route for TB and the TR while also making people turn against the VS. Or whatever other reason why you might think that he actually tried to make excuses for losing to the VS ingame.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-02-01, 08:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Mietz
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
There's wasn't a VS conspiracy, nor do I think there's a conspiracy to spread false information with the express purpose of getting people to route for TB and the TR while also making people turn against the VS. Or whatever other reason why you might think that he actually tried to make excuses for losing to the VS ingame.
So, if I read your post correct, you think there is no reason (none whatsoever) why he made excuses for losing to the VS.
That can't be true as there is a reason for every behavior.

Do I believe in a SOE conspiracy or some shit? Absolutely not.

I believe that TB has an ego the size of the entire universe and would make excuses for losing even if the competition was handled "better".
What makes this egregious in my opinion is his unique position as a figurehead and holding a lot of media power that his excuses are being taken as gospel rather than just human, personal whining.
This is compounded by his constant use of the words "objective" and "fact" like that legitimizes his position. Its misinformation on a large scale while claiming to be "objective".

This irks me to no end.
Old 2013-02-01, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

So, if I read your post correct, you think there is no reason (none whatsoever) why he made excuses for losing to the VS.
That can't be true as there is a reason for every behavior.

Do I believe in a SOE conspiracy or some shit? Absolutely not.

I believe that TB has an ego the size of the entire universe and would make excuses for losing even if the competition was handled "better".
What makes this egregious in my opinion is his unique position as a figurehead and holding a lot of media power that his excuses are being taken as gospel rather than just human, personal whining.
This is compounded by his constant use of the words "objective" and "fact" like that legitimizes his position. Its misinformation on a large scale while claiming to be "objective".

This irks me to no end.
No, that's not what I wrote.
I don't think there are any deceptive reasons as to why he did so. Like Hamma wrote, TB probably just didn't know that SOE had actually revealed the information beforehand.

It's rather obvious that you have a somewhat coloured view of TB,as such I doubt your ability to actually judge his ability to be objective, to the best of said ability. I find it odd that you would automatically jump to the conclusion that he was in fact purposely trying to misinform his viewers just to stroke his own ego.
You're right it wasn't true, yet there is nothing to suggest that he was actually trying to misinform anyone on purpose. From all we know it was objective, from his own perspective.

Misinformation on a large scale... Really? This is a game we're talking about, please do dial down the drama.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-02-01, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Zaik
Private

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
If SeaNanners doesn't do this as well then it's more proof that he was in fact a horrid choice for a leader. Even if it was a mere PR stunt.
To be fair, there's really no popular youtuber that plays NC, or at least nobody anywhere near as popular as the other two. I assume they just offered it to a bunch of random people and he was the one who bit. I'm not really sure you can blame any one person for that.
Old 2013-02-01, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Mietz
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
No, that's not what I wrote.
I don't think there are any deceptive reasons as to why he did so. Like Hamma wrote, TB probably just didn't know that SOE had actually revealed the information beforehand.

It's rather obvious that you have a somewhat coloured view of TB,as such I doubt your ability to actually judge his ability to be objective, to the best of said ability. I find it odd that you would automatically jump to the conclusion that he was in fact purposely trying to misinform his viewers just to stroke his own ego.
You're right it wasn't true, yet there is nothing to suggest that he was actually trying to misinform anyone on purpose. From all we know it was objective, from his own perspective.

Misinformation on a large scale... Really? This is a game we're talking about, please do dial down the drama.
Hi, you seem incapable of reading.
I never claimed that he wanted to -purposefully- trying to misinform people or that he tried to deceive people.

Nevertheless, he did say things that are factually -inaccurate- and he did get corrected (on twitter, YT comments and his own reddit) but never corrected the information in his video (not even an annotation).
And there is the rub.

My first post (reply) was about his supposed "integrity" and "quality" and thats what I criticize here.
His integrity that he harps on about.

His ignorance excuses nothing, especially when corrected.
Old 2013-02-01, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Hi, you seem incapable of reading.
I never claimed that he wanted to -purposefully- trying to misinform people or that he tried to deceive people.

Nevertheless, he did say things that are factually -inaccurate- and he did get corrected (on twitter, YT comments and his own reddit) but never corrected the information in his video (not even an annotation).
And there is the rub.

My first post (reply) was about his supposed "integrity" and "quality" and thats what I criticize here.
His integrity that he harps on about.

His ignorance excuses nothing, especially when corrected.
Fair enough, then I guess we both lack said ability.

He has actually corrected the mistake now and made an annotation. 5:09.
So apparently he did have enough integrity to correct the mistake and apparently he also saw it as being important enough to correct.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion