"The Vanu are techno-religious nut jobs." - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: All that and a bag of psychedelic mushrooms!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-28, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

"The Vanu are techno-religious nut jobs."

Ouch o.O This is written beside the small icon of the Vanu symbol on the new art post (which I found to be extremely interesting, and I love how invested SOE is in its fanbase). Reading this comment made me sad, however, because it shows that the developers of the game see a flaw (or possible "these are the bad guys") mentality toward one of their factions.

It's not a huge deal to me, but it gave me pause, because it was the first time that there has ever been an imbalance of the normal Planetside harmony of "All these factions have a reason to fight, you could empathize with any of them, there are no good guys or bad guys in this war." Calling one of the factions a bunch of nut jobs disrupts that balance. Now, for sure, SOE never said that to "us," what we're reading are notes that they are allowing us to see for the first time, presumably given to their artists for some conceptual focus. However, when the artists and designers have it in their heads that "The Terrans are militaristic, the NC are separatist commandos, and the Vanu are techno-religious nut jobs," some of the inherent disdain might filter down into the design.

I'm not challenging anyone on this, and I'm not too upset, it just caught me off guard (the Vanu having always been my faction). Hell, T-Ray loves the Vanu the MOST, and he's the art director. But I guess I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on this.

Just thought I'd share mine

~Zachariah
Old 2011-09-28, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Re: "The Vanu are techno-religious nut jobs."

I took it as a tongue-in-cheek exageration
Old 2011-09-28, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Xyntech
Brigadier General

As a IRL atheist and a die hard Vanu for life, I for one welcome our techno-religious nut job overlords.

I think the only thing out of place is that this is the other empires view of the VS, as opposed to their view of themselves like the other two empires descriptors. We have always been the religious extremists in the eyes of the TR and NC, but to ourselves we nobly seek enlightenment through technological progress.

The Terran scum are naziesque oppressive authoritarians and the Conglomerate bastards are a rogue terrorist faction. It don't make them bad people.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2011-09-28 at 08:37 AM.
Old 2011-09-28, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
The Terran scum are naziesque oppressive authoritarians and the Conglomerate bastards are a rogue terrorist faction. It don't make them bad people.
LOL
Old 2011-09-28, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

You missed a perfectly good opportunity to mock the NC for their steam-age technology >_>

In fact, this just gave me an idea, there should be a chart about how each empire view themselves and the other 2!

Last edited by FastAndFree; 2011-09-28 at 08:52 AM.
Old 2011-09-28, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Draep
Master Sergeant

The VS were techno-religious nutjobs in the first PS. Neeext
Old 2011-09-28, 09:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

Techno-Organic yo!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-09-28, 09:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Bags
Lieutenant General

T-Ray loves VS so I wouldn't take any insults about them too seriously.
Old 2011-09-28, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Legion
Private

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
T-Ray loves VS so I wouldn't take any insults about them too seriously.
Yeah, T-Ray probably wrote those mini descriptions and he is a nut about VS, a fanatical fan.
Old 2011-09-28, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

All good points. Like I say, I'm not too worried, though it struck me as almost out of place. And you're all definitely right, this is an excellent description of how the OTHER two factions see us
Old 2011-09-28, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Yay or nay?

We are the Terran Republic, the legitimate rulers of Auraxis and beyond. We have kept peace and order for millennia, and we'll be damned if anybody ruins it.
The NC are rebel scum who dress funny and want to ruin everything we have worked for. We will crush them in our iron fist and restore Order.
The VS are rebel scum who smell funny and want to ruin everything we have worked for. We will crush them in our iron fist and restore Order.

We are the New Conglomerate, the last hope for freedom on Auraxis. Nuff said, fetch my a beer!
The TR are a bunch of nazicommies who would sooner die than leave us be, so we gladly help them do just that any chance we get.
The VS are alienloving techno-religious nut jobs who want to brainwash and/or anal-probe us. We'll just keep shooting them in the face until they give up and leave us alone - i.e. forever.

We are the Vanu Sovereignty, the shining future of mankind. We labor day and night to bring that future to the present, and to share it with everyone.
The TR are relics of the past stuck in their way who don't appreciate what we are doing for them because they don't understand we have the same goals. We just do it better. They will see, once we have changed their way for them.
The NC are unsophisticated anarchists who fear and misunderstand us, but we will not give up. We will show them the light, through any means necessary. For their own good.

Last edited by FastAndFree; 2011-09-28 at 10:27 AM.
Old 2011-09-28, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

Hahahahaha. Love it. I'm sure it would need to be a little polished before it was posted on the actual game, but it's a spectacular start.
Old 2011-09-28, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
atone
Sergeant

y'all jus wait righ'cheer lemme git ma gun...
Old 2011-09-28, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Buddahx
Private

if your VS and don't like being called a techno-religious nut job then you can get out
Old 2011-09-28, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

(btw, change the "mankind" to "humankind"; I have a few ladies who are really looking forward to this game). Perfect!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion