Gameplay: The Phantasm - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't feed the whores.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-04-12, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

The Phantasm

Many planetside vets are sad to see the AMS go, with the Galaxy stepping in as the new (obese) AMS. How will we set up small, more easily concealed spawn points?

Enter the Phantasm.

The Phantasm could have almost the exact same uses as a Galaxy, but with the benefit of being smaller, faster, and having a Cloaking ability instead of Armor, Payload, and Turrets. For size, the Phant could also have one, or no, equipment terminals. Only the spawn point for troops, so you have to spawn in your class.

Since the majority of Spec Ops outfits will take the most hit from not having a stealthier spawn point, the Phantasm could be set up so that it only is a Squad/Outfit spawn. Instead of being available to all greenies.

I'd assume you could also spec/cert into the Phantasm, but i dont really have any ideas for what you could get or improve by speccing.
Old 2012-04-12, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: The Phantasm

What I would rather see is the Gal and Sundy able to act as spawn points and deploy a cloak when they have deployed instead of using weapons to defend themselves.

I would however like to have a half squad transport, both airborne and land based. The land one should be an infantry support vehicle, able to deploy the troops and move with them, perhaps not a spawn point but instead rearm and provide fire support. The airborne one should be able to be kitted out like the Phantasm; as a cloaked insertion craft, but also have the option to not have a cloak and have weapons instead.
Old 2012-04-12, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
moosepoop
Captain

the problem with a phantasm in ps2 is a squad leader with squad spawn ability in a phantasm can cloak drop at any point on the map.

a phantasm in ps2 will have to be a single man craft, and require stealth class to pilot it (presuming stealth class cant squad spawn)

Last edited by moosepoop; 2012-04-12 at 07:22 PM.
Old 2012-04-13, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Metalsheep View Post
Enter the Phantasm.
You know, this is actually rather brilliant. I've been advocating using modules to make the Liberator into a half-squad air transport, and I still like that idea but using the phantasm as you suggest would not only provide a small squad ops vehicle, but also satisfy people's request for a cloakable spawn point for spec ops, and in a way consistent with the increased mobility the devs have applied to the Gal. 5 stars.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-15, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I've always been a fan of a medium-air transport, something with roughly the durability of a Liberator but faster and more agile and capable of delivering roughly half a squad. Essentially a Phantasm from PS1 only without all the cert requirements and having un-cloaked versions. In the resource model of PS2 it would be a very cheap vehicle to help get to the fight faster and improve pacing.

Galaxy is overkill for smaller squads and only being able to pull one from Tech plant or foothold also seems limiting. Air assault on a dime is what a medium air transport would allow.

At that point making it a Phantasm is as easy as adding cloaking to the Utility or Defensive upgrade slot.

They could also add cloaking to a galaxy in this fashion and get both phantasm and classic AMS behavior. It's a significant balance change though and I'd like to see how their current design plays out before advocating that approach.
Old 2012-04-16, 03:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
likwidneo
Private

Many planetside vets are sad to see the AMS go, with the Galaxy stepping in as the new (obese) AMS. How will we set up small, more easily concealed spawn points?
Cloaker + Squad Spawn Command Ability = WIN!

I can't possibly be the only person who's thought of this... That is going to be the whole point of my main char.
Old 2012-04-17, 10:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by likwidneo View Post
Cloaker + Squad Spawn Command Ability = WIN!

I can't possibly be the only person who's thought of this... That is going to be the whole point of my main char.
Squad Spawn is on a long cooldown, and we arent even sure if Cloakers can use it.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault