Planetside 2 Needs Prone - Page 41 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: ammunition sold separately.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Prone in PS2?
Yes 152 31.21%
No 312 64.07%
Other (Explain) 23 4.72%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-10, 07:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #601
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

MAXes shouldn't even be allowed to crouch. Seriously prone MAXes? How can this even cross someones mind?
Old 2012-06-10, 07:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #602
Stardouser
Colonel

OK, Gogita did this transcript of Totalbiscuit's DAY 2 Q&A with Arclegger:

here is the transcript:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=42141

Here is the excerpt from the transcript :
Will there be prone?
It is still being considered. It was mentioned that while internally testing prone might work, it might have a negative impact when there are thousands of players. Therefore it is possible that it will be tested during beta
And here is Totalbiscuit's day 3 video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0xcmHYuUbn0

Here is the description line from TB's day 3 video :
Day 2 won't be uploaded in full due to audio issues and will appear later as highlight reel.
Hopefully, the video being cut to a highlight reel doesn't cause Arclegger's confirmation of prone being considered to be cut. Totalbiscuit not putting day 2's recording up is beyond our control but this is NOT a rumor.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-06-10 at 08:05 AM.
Old 2012-06-10, 07:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #603
MadPenguin
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
lol MAx prone will look also weir but it will be to complicated animation wise
I'm not saying don't do it cos it looks weird, i'm saying if you want to let medic/LA etc go prone, heavy assault will need also need to be able to go prone
Old 2012-06-10, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #604
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Look at these guys do they need a prone to camp in the montain ? NOpe lol

This is another thing thats proove campers are campers and it will always have nothing to do with prone ... Prone = camping is irrevelant and compleatly wrong prone is a good feature for agressive player to deal with terrain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if-CZ9UVZYo
And that camping would be even worse if BF:BC 2 had prone. I think prone has no place in this game. And that is not only because I have played PlanetSide 1 and I am ''bias''. I fully understand and fully support that this game needs to be modernized. I fully support having modern elements, such as ADS, lesser TTK, faster paced than PS1 and having the tank driver also man the turret. Hell, I am happy those things are in and I would be dissapointed if they hadn't.

I also sometimes think that some PS vets need to understand that it is 2012 and that there are more people that are going to play this game who haven't played PS1. But this game is still called Planetside 2. A sequel to Planetside 1. We don't need every single feature from other newer FPS in this game. There is nothing wrong with doing stuff different than other games. And from what I have seen I am really happy that this game still looks like a Planetside game, while still being unique compared to other games that came out this generation.

But no. I absolutely don't want prone. It is not only annoying since it encourages camping even more. But also in CQC. People who hide behind crates, only popping their head out with makes it much more hard to see them and kill them. I just hate prone for the fact that it makes you a much smaller target and thus you are much harder to see. It does slow the pace down since a lot of people are going to lie down because they are afraid their K/D decreases. If you can't prone, people won't stay in the same spot for a long time. That it worked in a different game doesn't make it work in this game. Hell, on of my main reasons I don't like BF3 is that it has prone. I thought BF:BC2 was much more fun than BF3.

And stew, please try to type English better. I understand if it is hard for you because it is not your first language and there is nothing wrong with that. Neither its mine first language. It is just very hard to read your posts

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2012-06-10 at 08:04 AM.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #605
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by MadPenguin View Post
I'm not saying don't do it cos it looks weird, i'm saying if you want to let medic/LA etc go prone, heavy assault will need also need to be able to go prone
nah because heavy assault have the minigun wich ot will not make sens for them to go prone but all others class yess

all the class exept max and heavy are more vesatile and base on movvements etc..

heavy and max are mostly defense and (( offense support )) they dont have the same role at all its like saying tank must fly
Old 2012-06-10, 08:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #606
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Good lord. Here. What in the stream that made your mind think *Ninja edit "This game is unbalanced without prone." or "Omg no prone means the game is terrible" or "Prone is really really really really really *Five days later* really needed in this game. Really."?

Last edited by ThermalReaper; 2012-06-10 at 08:11 AM.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #607
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
OK, Gogita did this transcript of Totalbiscuit's DAY 2 Q&A with Arclegger:

here is the transcript:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=42141
Yup, that's good enough proof for me. Anyway my answer in this poll wouldn't change - PS2 doesn't need prone. It could work with prone just as well but it doesn't need it imo.

Anyway if light classes have prone then HAs should have it too. Only MAXes shouldn't.

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-06-10 at 08:10 AM.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #608
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by ThermalReaper View Post
Good lord. Here. What in the stream that made your mind think "This game is unbalanced without prone."?
And this, sometimes when I watch gameplay for some games I think ''Damn, I am going to be so annoyed by that''. But I didn't had that feeling when I was watching the PS2 streams.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #609
Crator
Major General

I can't remember off the top of my head which poll on this forums it was but there the majority of votes went against the idea. But that didn't stop the devs from still implementing it. So polls on this forums or any other forum don't necessarily dictate if the devs are going to put it in the game. They do read our suggestions though.

I can't stand it when people make blanket statements about something in relation to another game and how they implemented it. If your going to make a statement like that please add some convincing arguments/reasons for such.

Planetside has always been about situational awareness of your surroundings. The massive scale of the maps should allow many opportunities to work around prone campers. A counter attack to many things in Planetside has always been the backbone of the game.

I don't understand the comments about cloakers having prone. What does it matter if a cloaker can prone, you can't see them! :P

Here's a few folks in this thread who know how to think critically about ideas.

Originally Posted by LPRaver View Post
I also liked the ideas about have a cone of fire and an appropriate angle because lets be fair if you are on your stomach you are not rotating 360 degrees and shooting straight up in the air. I think it could be good in the game and I can see where it could hurt it. Both sides have valid opinions. I just wanted to make an account and post a more middle of the road opinion and see if I could get people to think before being so harsh with one another.
^^^ I agree with you about making the prone player more restricted in the way of how the weapon works. I would say though that it should depend on the type of weapon in hand. We know not all classes will have the same weapons. That should be a way they could balance how effective you are in the prone stance.

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
Hitting the deck is pretty much part of any internally consistent battlefield narrative. Not being able to drop in the face of fire, especially in the open, is really very confusing to me. It could certainly be implemented to not be stupid and cheesy. I don't understand the resistance.
Originally Posted by GhettoPrince View Post
I'm ok with prone, but only for medics and infiltrators, everyone else is wearing too much armor and carrying too much gear. If light assault get it, then I bet the jet pack is a large weak point on their hitbox.
This made me think of something funny. What if a heavy assault player had the ability to go prone but could not get up by himself without someone else's help? Ok, maybe that's a bit too far. So make it longer for the hvy assault to get up? With the option to purchase equipment that assisted with getting up.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #610
EVILoHOMER
Major

Nah no prone is the best thing for the games pace
Old 2012-06-10, 08:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #611
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
Yup, that's good enough proof for me. Anyway my answer in this poll wouldn't change - PS2 doesn't need prone. It could work with prone just as well but it doesn't need it imo.

Anyway if light classes have prone then HAs should have it too. Only MAXes shouldn't.
I hadn't heard that HA might not get prone, but sure, you're right, they should get it too.

The real issue is the camping issue. I think prone is just the...scapegoat, shall we say. OK, let's assume we have no prone. When people still camp or play slow even in the absence of prone, what happens then? Do people argue for killcam to come back? Or worse?
Old 2012-06-10, 08:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #612
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
Nah no prone is the best thing for the games pace
I don't see how lying down in a sleeping postion is a good thing for a game's pace.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #613
EVILoHOMER
Major

Originally Posted by ThermalReaper View Post
I don't see how lying down in a sleeping postion is a good thing for a game's pace.
It's a bad thing.

If there is prone then you just get K/D ppl camping far away with a sniper rifle and never moving. At least with no prone they r easy to spot so they have to keep moving.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #614
Karriz
Private

I haven't played PS1, so I don't know how much of a problem prone was back then, but I think it's an important part to any FPS game that has somewhat real-life like combat (games like Tribes: Ascend and Quake are whole another thing). I don't mean realistic, but something that at least has real movement. Battlefield for example (although Bad Company 1&2 didn't have prone).

Especially when there are vehicles, infantry needs to have an ability to hide behind grass and holes in the ground.
There are ways to balance prone, and I don't think camping is that much of an issue in wide open battles. Inside the bases proning people will get killed by grenades quickly.

Of course it's unlikely at this point that they would include it, and it surely won't ruin the game either way, but they should do some testing in Beta.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #615
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
It's a bad thing.

If there is prone then you just get K/D ppl camping far away with a sniper rifle and never moving. At least with no prone they r easy to spot so they have to keep moving.
Oh I'm sorry, I misread your post as "Prone is the best thing for the games pace." :P
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion