News: Jimmy Whisenhunt Joins PlanetSide 2 Team - Page 25 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Have you eaten your bullets today?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-24, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #361
babbyravvy
Private

Re: Jimmy Whisenhunt Joins PlanetSide 2 Team

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
Sure looks that way. Doesn't look like anything is being done. It's just a guy playing a girl with a katana and a pirate hat flailing around next to a guy who is also flailing. She also, evidently controls gravity and can instantly materialize guns out of nowhere without any real consequence of his/her actions.

Even still, It's just looks like a lot of flailing. Not satisfying or engaging.
Call of Duty = Mouse 2, mouse 1

Battlefield = Mouse 2, mouse 1.(often times though your gun just wont get the kill fast enough, so you'll wanna press 2 and then mouse 1)

Sure is satisfying.
Old 2012-06-24, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #362
AzK
Sergeant

Wrong, friend. Devs don't patch exploits because A) They're lazy and don't want to do their job, B) Egotistical and refuse to admit their game has exploits or C) The leet dudes start crying about how it's part of the game now so leave it, because it might just make them lose their internet leetness, and the devs, not wanting to upset what fanbase they have left, are forced to leave it in.

Additionally, I'm glad you find the logical truth atrocious. I can't say I'm surprised. The fact is that you do not retain the right to not be offended. If you don't have the wits or tact to see when a mechanic is obviously being abused, then there's not much to be done for you.

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe when someone goes to play a shooter, they're going in with the mindset that it's tactical (CRAZY, I know)? Maybe they see someone jumping around like a grade A lobotominte and don't do it because they know it makes you look dumb as hell and makes no sense? You see, what you want isn't a "skill level", what you want is a lack of intuitiveness for how the engine works. Once someone knows gets used to what buttons do what, they only dividing factor should be how smart they play, not how many hours they've practiced jump shooting.

I don't give a rats ass about some CS video. I've played games long enough to know that cheap antics are abound, I don't need a video to tell me that. The PS2 dev team is VERY connected to it's community and have shown that they don't want to add things that could potentially be abused. The primary focus of a game is to be as fun for as many people as possible. It's not the devs job to cater to the dregs of gaming society who are willing to ruin the game they've worked so hard to create for the sake of e-peen size increases. Go read a book.

Again, I don't think They brought in Wisenhunt to specifically do that. I'm ok with taking some randomness out of the guns (goodbye, cof). I DO NOT want to see cheap gimmicks that will only hurt the game as a whole. That means hyper accurate shooting while jumping and moving. That means excessive strafing. That means any manner of thing that doesn't make logical sense, because without that logical sense, the game is no longer intuitive and only becomes a job, not a game.
I think we've got a comedian here.

I'd advise you to think about the nonsense you're writing and go read this. http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/...heyre-awesome/

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average.
Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. As Kruger and Dunning conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others"

Last edited by AzK; 2012-06-24 at 05:04 PM.
Old 2012-06-24, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #363
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by babbyravvy View Post
Call of Duty = Mouse 2, mouse 1

Battlefield = Mouse 2, mouse 1.(often times though your gun just wont get the kill fast enough, so you'll wanna press 2 and then mouse 1)

Sure is satisfying.
Yeah, I don't play those either. I played CoD for a while, but got very very tired of the playerbase and overall gameplay.

Originally Posted by AzK View Post
I think we've got a comedian here.

I'd advise you to think about the nonsense you're writing and go read this. http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/...heyre-awesome/

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average.
Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. As Kruger and Dunning conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others"
Says the FPSer who relies on cheap abuse of mechanics to win games that mean nothing. If only you knew how ironic this post is.
Old 2012-06-24, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #364
RodenyC
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by whisenhunt View Post
In regards to the players asking where my allegiance lies: Glory to the Republic!
I don't like him.For this reason and this reason alone.
Old 2012-06-24, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #365
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

Says the FPSer who relies on cheap abuse of mechanics to win games that mean nothing. If only you knew how ironic this post is.
Knowing the game inside out, being steps ahead of someone else and being competent enough with their own skill to counter your enemy through hours and hours of in game practice, knowledge and reaction isn't cheap abuse of tactics, its being better.
Old 2012-06-24, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #366
JesNC
Master Sergeant

This thread is hilarious A handful of people arguing about a dozen definitions of the little word 'skill'.

Personally, I feel that defining 'skill' as learning and practicing certain input combinations and their timing (e.g. bunnyhop, strafe-shooting) a bit limiting. In fact, I abhor the idea that I would need to sit in front of my computer practicing StreetFighter'esque combos for hours just to NOT suck at PS2.

I'd much rather have 'skill' in PS2 defined as knowing where and where not to go, what to bring and how to play as a team with your buddies.

/rant off

But since this thread is about Jimmy Whisenhunt joining the Dev team to work on weapons, their feel and their implementation, I guess my rant above is just hot air, like the last 10 or so pages of this thread

Welcome aboard, Mr. Whisenhunt, wish you a good time at SOE!!
Old 2012-06-24, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #367
AzK
Sergeant

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
Another troll exposed.

Nice job AzK.
brofist
Old 2012-06-24, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #368
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Congratulations on making the team. I hope you make the guns feel right alongside the rest of the developers.
Old 2012-06-24, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #369
Seagoon
Corporal

So AzK, just to clear things up, do you believe that you can have an FPS with a high skill cap that does not include fast fluid movement with highly accurate guns where movement and twitch skill are key?
Old 2012-06-24, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #370
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
Knowing the game inside out, being steps ahead of someone else and being competent enough with their own skill to counter your enemy through hours and hours of in game practice, knowledge and reaction isn't cheap abuse of tactics, its being better.
The hours and hours you spend in game practicing should be focused on the content of the game, not the missed bugs of the engine. That means if I'm going to be a sniper, I need to learn optimal ranges for me using the rifle and how to lead and adjust for bullet drop over a range of distances. If I'm a pilot, I need spacial awareness and to learn to maneuver. That means learning about largescale battlefield tactics; positioning, adapting to changing situations and learning when to attack, when to defend and when to move. In small scale encounters, that means learning to have siatuational awareness, how to fight effectively with a squad, how to use cover and how to flank effectively.

There's plenty of content for people to learn (as the designers intended). Exploiting bugs is like when sports stars use steroids. One guy did it to boost his performance with little work and now others have to use them to keep on par. That still doesn't change the fact that the average person has little respect for them for it and it hurts the game as well as the people involved. It's no longer about the skill of the person, it's about how well they know the exploits.
Old 2012-06-24, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #371
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by JesNC View Post
I'd much rather have 'skill' in PS2 defined as knowing where and where not to go, what to bring and how to play as a team with your buddies.
Here's the problem with that definition of skill... those are the bare minimum qualities everyone playing the game should have. It's like multi-tasking and working well with a team being listed as qualifications on your resume; EVERYONE has or should have those qualifications just to be part of the workforce.

Real skill goes beyond working well with a team and knowing the routes, something everyone ought to do.

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-06-24, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #372
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by JesNC View Post
This thread is hilarious A handful of people arguing about a dozen definitions of the little word 'skill'.

Personally, I feel that defining 'skill' as learning and practicing certain input combinations and their timing (e.g. bunnyhop, strafe-shooting) a bit limiting. In fact, I abhor the idea that I would need to sit in front of my computer practicing StreetFighter'esque combos for hours just to NOT suck at PS2.

It is dragging on a bit too much I will admit.

But you referencing Streetfighter is a great example of what this is all about. In that game you had 3 punches and 3 kicks, some special moves and then numerous combos and allsorts of things that gave the game incredible depth. Enough depth that, through reincarnations of that basic premise its still being played today 20 years after it came out. It was precise and rewarded practice.

If the game had been limited to just 3 punches and kicks, it would never lasted longer than a week or two.

In ps and any other fps or any game for that matter, there is a constant pull from players between the 3 punches only end and the full-on 8 hrs a day perfecting their dragon punch combo people.

There are those that just want to play the game through at level 3, that's fine. There are those that breeze through on level 8 and no longer bother and look for decent pvp to challenge them. That's fine too.

But things get screwed up when one side accuses the other of abusing mechanics by knowing when to pull off a 5 combo and blocking correctly. Their answer is to limit everyone to 3 punches so they can play on a level playing field. It's why the likes of Jimmy point out the misgivings of games like bf3 and cod.

Not ranting, just trying to put all this into context.
Old 2012-06-24, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #373
JesNC
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
Here's the problem with that definition of skill... those are the bare minimum qualities everyone playing the game should have. It's like multi-tasking and working well with a team being listed as qualifications on your resume; EVERYONE has or should have those qualifications just to be part of the workforce.

Real skill goes beyond working well with a team and knowing the routes, something everyone ought to do.
Right, maybe I should have phrased it better - But there's a difference between basic knowledge of teamplay and manouver and actually being skilled at it. Anyone can drive a tank and point the gun in the right direction, but it takes time and effort to learn ranges, memorize cover etc...

I just don't see ADADAD becoming a proper substitute for 'skill' in PS2.

Not ranting, just trying to put all this into context.
Thanks for your post. I can see where people are coming from now.

Last edited by JesNC; 2012-06-24 at 05:58 PM.
Old 2012-06-24, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #374
Fek
Private

Anyone can drive a tank and point the gun in the right direction
This is completely untrue, otherwise it wouldn't be so easy to win 2on2 tank battles in PS1. You attempt to rubbish "aiming" as not actually being a real skill, yet there is clearly a very large gap between those that are good at it and those that are bad.

Last edited by Fek; 2012-06-24 at 05:55 PM.
Old 2012-06-24, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #375
Bags
Lieutenant General

If you can't hit someone who is spamming ADADA why are you playing a shooter?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion