News: Jimmy Whisenhunt Joins PlanetSide 2 Team - Page 33 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now available in 5 fruity flavors!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-25, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #481
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Re: Jimmy Whisenhunt Joins PlanetSide 2 Team

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
It's fun to go back and watch things jump the rails...

The team is really happy to have Jimmy and of course he wasn't hired just based on the fact he's really good at FPS games. I think the more you guys learn about him, the more you'll see he's a perfect fit for PlanetSide 2.
Maybe, quite possibly actually. But let us rabble a bit more, hmkay?
Old 2012-06-25, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #482
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
i am a little ashamed of this thread.

poor jimmy has only posted a few things to say hello and state what he wants to do to the game, and all we do is bitch about other things he has done so far that had nothing to do with planetside...
almost nobody cares for his posts that were really positive and sounded like he wants to really help the game and that he will try to give a veto whenever somebody suggests something that might water down the game.

shouldn´t we let him try before we bitch about him? i know we are the champions, when it comes to jumping to conclusions, but this thread is getting very pathetic.

it´s a good thing that the other devs already know the community and can tell jimmy, what he should take serious and what to ignore completely.
good to hear that the devs are actually having some fun with our derailing. god would it suck, if the devs would take EVERY ranting serious and if they had no humour at all.

what do you think how much communication we would have seen if this was the case?
/agree

Old 2012-06-25, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #483
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
i am a little ashamed of this thread.

poor jimmy has only posted a few things to say hello and state what he wants to do to the game, and all we do is bitch about other things he has done so far that had nothing to do with planetside...
almost nobody cares for his posts that were really positive and sounded like he wants to really help the game and that he will try to give a veto whenever somebody suggests something that might water down the game.

shouldn´t we let him try before we bitch about him? i know we are the champions, when it comes to jumping to conclusions, but this thread is getting very pathetic.

it´s a good thing that the other devs already know the community and can tell jimmy, what he should take serious and what to ignore completely.
good to hear that the devs are actually having some fun with our derailing. god would it suck, if the devs would take EVERY ranting serious and if they had no humour at all.

what do you think how much communication we would have seen if this was the case?
Couldn't agree more, he's exactly the kind of guy I want on a team, really understands the genre.
Old 2012-06-25, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #484
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Guys he's not here to change PlanetSide 2 into CS, or make an eSport, he's here to help us make our weapons FEEL awesome, balanced and competitive. Having a competitive FPS player on the team is going to help us out a lot.
While this sounds nice most competitive games have a terrible as heck weapon balance.

They balance for risk vs reward or how "reflex based skilled" something is. Once you do that every weapon or item that does not have a high reward gets made useless and obsolete. This is why in competitive FPS's like CS everyone runs around with the desert eagle and the sniper.

I for one don't want my weapons to feel anywhere near competitive. I rather they all be fun and balanced so all play-styles are supported instead of just the twitcher.

Last edited by Forsaken One; 2012-06-25 at 02:14 PM.
Old 2012-06-25, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #485
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Forsaken One View Post
While this sounds nice most competitive games have a terrible as heck weapon balance.

They balance for risk vs reward or how "reflex based skilled" something is. Once you do that every weapon or item that does not have a high reward gets made useless and obsolete. This is why in competitive FPS's like CS everyone runs around with the desert eagle and the sniper.

I for one don't want my weapons to feel anywhere near competitive. I rather they all be fun and balanced so all play-styles are supported instead of just the twitcher.
I love your signature, its fantastic.

I too support the balanced play style, and it looks like thats the direction the game is headed. Mr. Whisenhunt will be a fantastic addition to the team, as he has stated before he has played quite a few FPS games, and it's safe to assume he knows what he is doing :P
Old 2012-06-25, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #486
jepaul
First Sergeant

96% percent of people polled by a national firm said the want bunny hoping and instant knife kills in planet side 2.
Old 2012-06-26, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #487
Oryon22
First Sergeant

Fairly late to the party, but I don't mind missing all the armchair game developers speak nonsense about how they want to keep Planetside in 2003.

Welcome aboard man

Old 2012-06-26, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #488
lawnmower
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Landtank View Post
Hmm yes I agree with your points in your new posts, but those games died out because they didn't bring anything new to the table. Yes they were hard to play, but they were hard to play for all the wrong reasons.

It was a different type of game, where there is less focus on tracking and aiming and more of a focus on movement etc.
wheres your source for any of this

And it's not the law, for god's sake, its your opinion.
its not his opinion

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
He's butthurt because he doesn't have a leg to stand on and can't let it go, so he's projecting on everyone else.
youre the ones claiming every game has the same skill cap, only different skill requirements

Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
Oh come on...is it really that hard for you to see that none of the games we've mentioned here takes any more skill than the other and it's merely the use of the skills that differ between them?

Frankly, at this point I'm beginning to doubt whether you're even sincere anymore...

/BB
is it really that hard for you to see that the games obviously have different skill caps and levels of approachabilllity?
I doubt whether youre even sincere anymore

Go read my posts and realize your mistake.
like how you claim quake somehow died out because it stopped bringing anything new to the table and that they were hard for the wrong reasons?

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
Which guy is that? Me? Or the other 20 people who see your full of BS?
which ones? and which ones have came up with any arguments?

Last edited by lawnmower; 2012-06-26 at 10:40 AM.
Old 2012-06-26, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #489
LegioX
First Sergeant

Now they need to hire a guy who knows flight sims like the back of his hand, so we can have some sort of middle ground between ultra realistic flight sim and a arcade flight game. Make it happen!!!
Old 2012-06-26, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #490
lawnmower
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
I don't understand all of this Counter Strike superiority.

Don't get me wrong the game required lots of skill and was very competitive....but the game itself is extremely simple.

Their wasn't much that it did that is very unique or amazing than todays games dont have....Only reason IMO that it was popular was because at the time their wasn't many shooters at the time and is simplicity.
one could maybe say it was sort of the start of this casual millitary shooter trend, perhaps providing a game for a lot more people where the ttk was low enough that one could luck out somewhat often even with quite a disadvantage. it was also timed well with the explosion of multiplayer id say, and was a free mod to the hugely popular, and cheap half-life. the gameplay had a new and original gameplay which must have had some degree of appeal as well. also easy to learn.

I love your signature, its fantastic.
of course the cute thing is progamers are superior in every way.
and ive yet to see any supporting evidence that a game with high skillceiling for aiming gets tactical options taken away from it.
probably because its an insane statement

Originally Posted by Forsaken One View Post

are you sure everyone is always running around with that?
and why would a competetive game be ideal to not have weapon balance?

Last edited by lawnmower; 2012-06-26 at 11:04 AM.
Old 2012-06-26, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #491
Graywolves
General

Forums are fun.

When you play the game of posts, you either win or you die.
Old 2012-06-26, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #492
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

Anyone remember the original official ps1 forum before they moved it to the present site, and removed the old posts?

I sort of remember the same argument going on for a few hundred pages. Eliminatorr was legend back then. Probably where TotalBiscuit got the 'more posts that kills' moniker if I recall.
Old 2012-06-26, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #493
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
Anyone remember the original official ps1 forum before they moved it to the present site, and removed the old posts?

I sort of remember the same argument going on for a few hundred pages. Eliminatorr was legend back then. Probably where TotalBiscuit got the 'more posts that kills' moniker if I recall.
That is where TB gets his title... most famously from crying for a Surgile nerf, but also in the general "it kills me, therefore nerf it" sense.

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-14, 06:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #494
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by AzK View Post
It is the law, pretty much, not because it's "my" word, but because facts prove it. Games like ut or quake have basically died out and you know what that is? Because their skillcap was too hard for the average person.

The average person is content with games like cod or bf3, where everyone can kill everyone, regardless of how good they are, precisely because the skillcap is too low, games like those thrive while the others didn't.

And the only reason is, there's far more bad players in the world than good ones. It is that simple.
Couldn't agree more with this. The problem with modern day games is weapon customization. Think about it... Player A: With a higher lvl has Less recoil, and less spread has a massive advantage. If we are talking about Modern games.

UT/QUAKE/CS There was no such things as attachments.

Todays Games. People Mimic set ups of people that are getting lots of kills. (BF3 as and example).

Last edited by Pella; 2012-07-14 at 06:37 AM.
Old 2012-07-14, 08:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #495
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Is this Monty Pythons argument clinic?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion