New player? Share your experience. - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Like you have anything better to do.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2013-05-21, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: New player? Share your experience.

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I couldn't find a way to make turning as a gunner faster but seen just about everyone else look around at will.
Take a look at mouse sensitivity settings, I remember it was a factor for me.

Originally Posted by zeropositivo View Post
It IS weird, tho, that sometimes people still see me even when not moving/shooting. In third person, I look completely invisible...
It can be because of:
- Darklight implant (meant to reveal infiltrators when active)
- coincidence (they did not actually see you)
- graphics card/settings (it's sometimes buggy)
- hacks/cheating (worst case scenario fair-play wise)

Last edited by sylphaen; 2013-05-21 at 07:26 PM.
Old 2013-05-21, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Whiteagle
Major

Well the shine has worn off, or at least it's taking me forever to get to the next Certification point...

Seriously, I repair things and try to feint enemy bases, but the only thing that seems to get me anywhere is ANT runs...
Old 2013-05-21, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
Well the shine has worn off, or at least it's taking me forever to get to the next Certification point...

Seriously, I repair things and try to feint enemy bases, but the only thing that seems to get me anywhere is ANT runs...
You can get a max of 2500 BEP for taking a base, all at once, when the hack goes through. The hack must be contested for the majority of the time to get that much though. You must be inside the base SOI and participate in the fighting before or during the hack for your BEP reward to accumulate. If you are leading a squad you get CEP instead of BEP. You must stay on the continent until a hack goes through in order to get the BEP for it!

XP gain gets slower and slower as you gain BR cause you need more per battle rank to get to the next rank. You get XP for getting kills, as well as kills from your squad/platoon... Getting more battle ranks gives you more versatility to have different load outs at your fingertips. You can always change your certs (once per day) to try new things. The first 10-15 battle ranks don't take that long. Then going up to around BR25 you will have what you really want by then. The rest of the BRs are just icing on the cake but they take a while to get.

If you haven't done so, go to VR training and equip every gun and vehicle. Get in every vehicle's gunner seats. Every time you use one of these for the first time you get BEP.

Oh also, once you get to a certain BR you stop getting a cert point at each rank. It becomes every other rank then. I can't remember when that starts to happen though.

Last edited by Crator; 2013-05-21 at 08:57 PM.
Old 2013-05-21, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
If you haven't done so, go to VR training and equipt every gun and vehicle. Get in every vehicle's gunner seats. Every time you use one of these for the first time you get BEP.
Already done I think, and no more training missions...

Thing is, I wanted to go into Combat Engineering, so I have two Glue Gun's that aren't get me any Experience because I'm the only one trying to open up our home continents instead of playing Cyssorside...

It's god damn Crown Syndrome, the TR ignore everything BEHIND the lines and end up with one continent completely disconnected from our Sanctuary.

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Oh also, once you get to a certain BR you stop getting a cert point at each rank. It becomes every other rank then. I can't remember when that starts to happen though.
Going to say BR 5 or 6, right where I'm at...

Last edited by Whiteagle; 2013-05-21 at 08:49 PM.
Old 2013-05-21, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Crator
Major General

Already done I think, and no more training missions...

Thing is, I wanted to go into Combat Engineering, so I have two Glue Gun's that aren't get me any Experience because I'm the only one trying to open up our home continents instead of playing Cyssorside...

It's god damn Crown Syndrome, the TR ignore everything BEHIND the lines and end up with one continent completely disconnected from our Sanctuary.
I know what you mean. Seems like we always get stuck on Cyssor. It's one of the main continents that become major 3-way stalemates. It doesn't help that we don't have more people per empire on either. If we did, the base taking would happen more with fights and your would be gain better XP. Glue guns aren't good for XP gain either. Kills is main thing to get XP. So good placement of mines/boomers for engineers is the way to go.

Last edited by Crator; 2013-05-21 at 08:54 PM.
Old 2013-05-21, 09:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Figment
Lieutenant General

A good way to earn experience with repairs and resupplies is the Lodestar, just park it in safety near a field battle and gun for someone. Same for an AMS: Every kill after someone rearms, resupplies or spawns within a certain time will earn you exp. The good thing about using the vehicles is that it is passive support.

For active support, repairing near repair silo's helps a lot.

As for Cyssorside, yes. People need plans for breaking that. Unfortunately, one of the big siege breakers (Router) is missing due to the core combat issues. And yes, pop is low but increasing. Ideally, you would have two two-ways, but during low pop, threeways become more common. Threeways can be won, but you have to beat two opponents in short order of one another and prevent one side from returning.

It helps when people would care about their home continents again and I would guess a lot of new players don't know how to get where and why yet. So that is up to cr5s and resecure outfits (some still have to return to the game). Sometimes you have to kickstart fights by starting a ghost. That often also drains a populace of another continent to secure their other territory.

It also requires people to get back in the global base security checking. InterFarms don't help in that respect.
Old 2013-05-21, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
zeropositivo
Private

I've recently got two certification I'm extremely happy I did: AA max and combat engineering. I had to sacrifice my heavy armor/vehicles, but I'm happy I did it. The points have started just racking in, both from repair support (this is a bit weird, as it doesn't actually tell me, but I DID notice my exp going up in the U screen) and turret kills, which are just awesome in every respect.

And AA maxes are deadly, totally deadly. Especially since everyone likes mosquitoes.. and mossies go down fast :P
Old 2013-05-21, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Chewy
Major

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
Take a look at mouse sensitivity settings, I remember it was a factor for me.
I thought I did look in the options for mouse sensitivity. Don't remember seeing anything that looked like a number for it or slider. Meh, I got 6 months to look for it.
Old 2013-05-22, 03:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
A good way to earn experience with repairs and resupplies is the Lodestar, just park it in safety near a field battle and gun for someone. Same for an AMS: Every kill after someone rearms, resupplies or spawns within a certain time will earn you exp. The good thing about using the vehicles is that it is passive support.

For active support, repairing near repair silo's helps a lot.
When you say repair silo's, you mean the NTU Silo right?

As for support vehicles, I was already planning on certing into them on my main, but I want to get Combat Engineering first to make up for my lack of killing strength.

It helps when people would care about their home continents again and I would guess a lot of new players don't know how to get where and why yet. So that is up to cr5s and resecure outfits (some still have to return to the game). Sometimes you have to kickstart fights by starting a ghost. That often also drains a populace of another continent to secure their other territory.

It also requires people to get back in the global base security checking. InterFarms don't help in that respect.
I personally blame the current Broadcast Warpgate set up; As long as you have one you can go anywhere you're empire has a link.
Old 2013-05-22, 03:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Figment
Lieutenant General

When you say repair silo's, you mean the NTU Silo right?
No the two black repair and resupply silo's in the courtyard.
Old 2013-05-22, 04:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
ringring
Contributor
General

No the two black repair and resupply silo's in the courtyard.
This is linked to 'benefits'.

Whenever your empire has 'Dropship Benefit' those repair silos become active.

You get said benefit when:
- the base that you are at is owned by your empire and linked to a Dropship Centre that your empire owns on the same continent.
- your empire owns Oshur

Dropship benefit is considered one of the best benefits in the game, which is the reason (apart from pride in empire) that TR always tries to own Oshur.
Old 2013-05-22, 05:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Ghodere View Post
Prowler seems weak for requiring 3 people to operate at full effectiveness.
But has a higher DPS with two than the other two tanks with just the main gunner.

Prowler's and Marauder's third gun spot and Raider's third and fourth gunspots have been the main issue in the vehicle balance debate over the years: TR require more manpower for full vehicle capacity, even if that full vehicle capacity isn't directly needed to be equally powerful or even more powerful, it just leaves them at a disadvantage against certain unit types in comparison.

Speaking of vehicles, what do you think of the dedicated driver/gunner?
Old 2013-05-22, 05:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I thought I did look in the options for mouse sensitivity. Don't remember seeing anything that looked like a number for it or slider. Meh, I got 6 months to look for it.
Under Keybinding, click on the mouse icon.

You can tweak settings for different types of units (infantry, vehicles, aircraft) as well.

Oh btw, white eagle, the battle rank leveling slows exponentially, it'll feel more and more like a feat of leveling. Should be around 15-18 by the end of the week.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-05-22 at 05:10 AM.
Old 2013-05-22, 07:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Shogun
Contributor
General

the most important thing to you have to do to get lots of xp:

join a squad and keep it full! the more people in a squad, the more xp you gain for basecaptures and for everything that is killed. you don´t only get your own kills xp, but you also get xp for what other squadmates kill!

also keep the squad together! if all the squadmembers are near each other on the map, the xp bonus is bigger. a maximum of 1 or 2 members are allowed to stay away to not punish them for antruns or other resupplying, but as a general rule, stay together. and of course stay on the same continent. you don´t get squad xp from anything that happens on another cont.

and don´t lead a squad if you are after xp! the squadleader will earn CP instead of XP for captures. so if you don´t want commandpoints, promote someone to leader who wants them shortly before a hack goes through.
go for xp first. cp is mostly useless at first. and earning enough cp to get orbital strike ability takes months or even years.

very good xp sources are:
a deployed ams near a big battle
a loadstar landed near a vehicle battle
repairduty beside a repairterminal in a courtyard
setting up a router in the base next to a battle where everybody respawns to get vehicles. you need to deploy the router vehicle near the vehicle terminal and lay a telepad near the spawnroom, but NOT inside the spawnroom because enemies can use it as well, and you want at least one door between the pad and the spawntubes. also lay mines directly under the routervehicle and setup spitfires around it. you will get xp for every kill someone makes after he has used your teleporter.

also, if you are cought in a tower battle, go up the stairs and crouch behind the first line of ai-maxes to repair them while they eradicate the intruding forces.

that are all perfect support xp sources that don´t involve killing anything on your own. don´t panik if you try anything of this and you don´t seem to get any xp from it. the support sp doesn´t update in realtime. you get a bunch of all collected support xp together every few minutes.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2013-05-22 at 07:28 AM.
Old 2013-05-22, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
Figment
Lieutenant General

Oh btw zero, if you don't have the Sensor Shield implant or had it turned off: could be you had been on Interlink radar (any facility linked to an Interlink will have enhanced radar that puts any movement on radar). A lot of people deduce that if there's no target where the red dot was before, it must be an infil.

Another reason people may see you is because you lagged and you stopped after you think you stopped on their screen. I've noticed this happening from 140ms ping and up, which just means you'll have to be more careful in areas where players might come around a corner (particularly near spawns - lobby routes in enemy bases).

Here's some other tips:

Crouchwalk (crouch tap in third person if there's enemies near! It may take a minute or two to go down a staircase, but you will not be seen even if they are looking your way as long as they don't use Dark Light!) to prevent being spotted on radar, get the Sensor Shield implant at BR6 and by all means, once you reach br12, get Surge to get the hell out of there if something goes wrong! :P

Also, prevent being bumped into. People often walk right along walls, depending on empire this could be the inner walls (shotguns: close distance) or outer walls (MCG/Lasher: keep distance) of a staircase combat situation for instance, they tend to move through the inner or middle area (shortest route) if they do not expect enemies.

Try to avoid moving fast for long periods of time. People may see you from the other side of the base and once you sit still, they can just pretend they haven't seen you, then go all out on you. If you see anyone move in your direction, try to determine if they actually changed path to go for you (they have spotted you), or if it's a natural route to a target.

Before going around a corner, check third person if you can.

Some people sit still in the field in third person with their backs to you on purpose: always assume they know or might know you're there, always have an escape plan and try to confuse them in what direction you escaped to. Because once you get spotted without a plan, you will usualy die.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-05-22 at 09:26 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion