Trayvon Martin - Page 49 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You can't teach a gay dog straight tricks.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-28, 05:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #721
SecSRaven
Private

Re: Trayvon Martin

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Doesn't the fact that that Zimmerman was arrested and is being charged for 2nd degree murder mean that Stand Your Ground no longer applies? That's what the grand jury business was all about, wasn't it? People to whom SYG applies are immune from prosecution, according to the way the law seems to be written.
SYG applies when the case is not twisted like this one is. Obviously the prosecution thinks that this isn't a valid claim of SYG given the media coverage of the case and the stories told on both sides.
Old 2012-07-28, 05:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #722
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Ah, I made a mistake, I forgot that it didn't go to grand jury and that Corey indicted Zimmerman on her own.

But yeah, it's no longer about SYG or not.
Old 2012-07-28, 06:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #723
SecSRaven
Private

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Ah, I made a mistake, I forgot that it didn't go to grand jury and that Corey indicted Zimmerman on her own.

But yeah, it's no longer about SYG or not.
As they say.. shit happens. It's not like I'm going to get butt hurt over it lol.

I agree, it isn't about SYG or not.. it's the fact that they think they have enough evidence to convict him of murder or at least manslaughter (in my opinion).
Old 2012-07-28, 06:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #724
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by SecSRaven View Post
As they say.. shit happens. It's not like I'm going to get butt hurt over it lol.
I feel better already.
Old 2012-07-28, 07:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #725
SecSRaven
Private

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
Why? Because Self Defense is a higher threshold to prove and it is fuck hard to prove when you are stalking a kid, to death.
Of course it is.. when the other party involved is dead. It is always harder to prove. Stalking, according to wikipedia's source National Center for Victims of Crime states "Virtually any unwanted contact between two people that directly or indirectly communicates a threat or places the victim in fear can be considered stalking".. So the prosecution would have to prove that Zimmerman had made a threat or put fear into Martin. However, it can be easy to defend with Zimmerman saying well, I called the police.. I confronted the person, who I thought was an adult at the time, and told him that I reported him to the police for suspicious behavior. Thus pretty much throwing out the 'stalking' argument. Personally.. Don't give two shits about the stories being told.. I want the raw unedited truth of what happened to come to light.
Old 2012-07-28, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #726
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by SecSRaven View Post
However, it can be easy to defend with Zimmerman saying well, I called the police.. I confronted the person, who I thought was an adult at the time, and told him that I reported him to the police for suspicious behavior.
Except he didn't say that and would look even dumber if he made that claim at this point. Zimmerman already talked to the police and did a full re-enactment of his version of the events that night. Zimmerman never made any attempt to identify to Martin who he was or that he was on the phone with 911. Serino even remarked to Zimmerman that there were numerous times he could have identified himself as a neighborhood watch guy to Martin, and asked him whether he lived there, or otherwise explained why he was chasing after him, but he never did.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-07-28 at 07:27 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum