Paying for xtra conts - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where u can commit suicide daily.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-04, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
PredatorFour
Major

Paying for xtra conts

So we got 3 conts at launch but how would you feel if SoE decided to make you purchase new conts when they come out ??? Also how do you think it would affect the fights on these compared to fights on the free conts ??

I`d imagine they would want to make as much money outta this game as they can so its a possibility they might do this.
Old 2012-04-04, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Re: Paying for xtra conts

This isn't an instanced game played in rounds. It would severly divide the playerbase.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-04-04, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Shogun
Contributor
General

troll?

the devs already said that all game-content will be free to play.
and continents are content.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-04, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Paying for conts will split the playerbase between paying vs non paying which is very bad. Access to the game world needs to be for both paying and non-paying customers. Continent monetization would be epic fail by SOE.
Old 2012-04-04, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Raymac
Brigadier General

I'm used to paying for expansions.

Sure they will cause a divide, but we still don't know exactly what the paying players will have over the free players. So a divide will already exist to some extent.

I'd also hope that the overall populations are so high that something like this will hardly be noticed. I could be wrong though.

Old 2012-04-04, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

The only problem I see with this is half my outfit getting the extra continents and the other half not. It would make it hard to do ops with half your guild split because they are limited on places they can visit. Either way, I would prefer the extra content stays free. SOE is already going to get enough money out of me on cosmetic shit alone.

Old 2012-04-04, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Shogun
Contributor
General

paying for expansions is common practice for subscription based pve games. but it doesn´t make sense for a f2p pvp only shooter.

also matt and t-ray said in some interviews, that the game will be completely free and the freeplayers will be able to do anything, the paying players can do. this pretty much includes going to other continents.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-04-04, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Bags
Lieutenant General

Obvious troll. Probably the stupidest idea that I've seen here. SOE doesn't want to split the player base

Last edited by Bags; 2012-04-04 at 11:08 AM.
Old 2012-04-04, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

New continents also allow to increase the number of players per server (not per continent) which also increases the sense of scale from the game when you see all those continents being fought over from hundreds of players.

I don't see why PS2 should limit access to a main feature it offers (i.e. a feature that brings customers). Continents where only paying players can go may not even be played because there are barriers to entry while entries are needed to start up a good fight.

Outfits are also (usually) very reluctant to leaving behind one (or more) of their guys.

In the end, you would buy a continent only if many others have bought it just like you would play planetside only if there are enough other players. High pops should be encouraged, not limited.
Old 2012-04-04, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
paying for expansions is common practice for subscription based pve games. but it doesn´t make sense for a f2p pvp only shooter.

also matt and t-ray said in some interviews, that the game will be completely free and the freeplayers will be able to do anything, the paying players can do. this pretty much includes going to other continents.
It's also a common practice for fps games. However, obviously none of those are mmofps, so Planetside 2 will stand alone there.

I can certainly see the downside to it, however, DLC maps for fps games are often opened up to everyone after a certain amount of time. Perhaps they may charge for the new continents at first then after a couple of months open them up to everyone.

Old 2012-04-04, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
PredatorFour
Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Obvious troll. Probably the stupidest idea that I've seen here. SOE doesn't want to split the player base

No im no troll, ive been playing PS since 05 but am reasonably new round here. I dont get how people become so aggressive so quick with replies but luckily ive got my flame-retardent suit on

I was just interested in what people thought about this as i think it would be a bad idea but its the kind of thing that might be done.
Old 2012-04-04, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Magpie
Sergeant Major

No not paying for maps packs thats just a bad ideal, members only zone might work but still thu said everything is free to play but depends how bad they need money
Old 2012-04-04, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Bags
Lieutenant General

Anyway, gating content like this in a game like planetside is a terrible idea, since it's supposed to be a F2P game... this will essentially require people in outfits to pay.

>Organize movement to another continent
>in sunderer
>oh lol the driver doesn't have the continent purchased too bad

Etc.
Old 2012-04-04, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Coreldan
Colonel

Not really a good idea in a game like this.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-04-04, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Zulthus
Colonel

Nope. No, no no no, NO. Bad idea. Paying for camo and sidegrades is one thing. Why the hell should we have to pay for maps? Even F2P players need to get them for free. Why limit the amount of people on a continent like that?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion