Gameplay: Body Dragging - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Supporting IRC addiction.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.57 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-29, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Huma
Sergeant

Re: Body Dragging

There have been innumerable times when being able to drag a squadmate to cover would have kept a gen/cc hold up. Especially since they respawn with no stamina. Dragging would allow a medic to get them under cover so they can fully recover. And after some thought I'd have to agree that if you don't like what someone is doing with your body you could just respawn. I guess it just takes a medic to love this idea though.
Old 2011-07-30, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Huma View Post
There have been innumerable times when being able to drag a squadmate to cover would have kept a gen/cc hold up. Especially since they respawn with no stamina. Dragging would allow a medic to get them under cover so they can fully recover. And after some thought I'd have to agree that if you don't like what someone is doing with your body you could just respawn. I guess it just takes a medic to love this idea though.
Yeah, but is there a point in having indoor-oriented ability in the game where we can possibly have no gens at all, now?
Old 2011-07-30, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Yeah, but is there a point in having indoor-oriented ability in the game where we can possibly have no gens at all, now?
It's not an indoor oriented ability. It's an all-purpose ability to drag someone a few feet to cover. A medic rushing several meters out into a field to attempt to drag someone should get gunned down. The call to even bother trying to save a downed soldier is based on if the medic can survive the attempt or not.

And if you're thinking aircraft or opponents with a height advantage, drag capability or no, the entire squad in their sites is ****ed.
Old 2011-07-30, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

I'm not sure how the spawn on SL will work, but many times as a medic I would have loved to have dragged my MAXes to a better rez point.
If MAX units can't spawn on the SL, then please add this ability to a soldiers general abilities. This would allow the medic to concentrate on reviving squad mates.
I could almost imagine a MASH type unit inside one of the main basement rooms. At leadt for an initial basement assault. But this ability should have a radius to the medic to be used.
Old 2011-07-30, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by EASyEightyEight View Post
It's not an indoor oriented ability. It's an all-purpose ability to drag someone a few feet to cover. A medic rushing several meters out into a field to attempt to drag someone should get gunned down. The call to even bother trying to save a downed soldier is based on if the medic can survive the attempt or not.

And if you're thinking aircraft or opponents with a height advantage, drag capability or no, the entire squad in their sites is ****ed.
First page, last post. Check it out... That's what I mean. I'm not against the thing. But to implant this idea you need to come up with absolutely different rezing mechanics. And all that while dragging should be inferior to field ressurection abilities. So you're implying "switching a root to change a fruit" situation. Which is wrong in any concept.

EDIT: Otherwise it'll be wasted development time.

Last edited by NewSith; 2011-07-30 at 11:34 AM.
Old 2011-07-30, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

Well I don't think you should be able to rez while carrying off wounded so in that case there wouldn't be a conflict...
Old 2011-07-30, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
Well I don't think you should be able to rez while carrying off wounded so in that case there wouldn't be a conflict...
I mean what's the point of dragging a guy to behind a rock, while you can rez him twice as fast?..
Old 2011-07-30, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Bravix
Sergeant Major

You obviously wouldn't rez while dragging. You drag them somewhere, let go of them, then heal them as you normally would.
Old 2011-07-30, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

First page, last post. Check it out... That's what I mean. I'm not against the thing. But to implant this idea you need to come up with absolutely different rezing mechanics. And all that while dragging should be inferior to field ressurection abilities. So you're implying "switching a root to change a fruit" situation. Which is wrong in any concept.

EDIT: Otherwise it'll be wasted development time.
No, I think you're not really thinking this through, you'd have to attempt a few in-field rezzes to truly understand how bad trying to can be.

It does take some time to rez, more than long enough for a medic to be shot up and killed. If a medic can rez from behind cover, then it just makes sense for that medic to drag a downed ally behind cover with them then pick them up. No smart medic is going to dash out 12 meters to recover a body, he'll just become another body himself in the process. But a mere 2 meters can make a difference. Last I checked, people don't come back with full stam and armor, just health. They're sitting ducks while they get reoriented and start the slow walk to the nearest cover to recover. A drag ability can handle the cover portion nicely.

There's no reason NOT to have it besides development time and cost.
Old 2011-07-30, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

That's not a fair assessment, going back to the concerns in regard to its possible grief potential..

There should be safety measures put in place to prevent misuse, for instance personal are given the option to accept aid VIA help key they call out to squadmate that initiats the recovery.
Old 2011-07-30, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
That's not a fair assessment, going back to the concerns in regard to its possible grief potential..

There should be safety measures put in place to prevent misuse, for instance personal are given the option to accept aid VIA help key they call out to squadmate that initiats the recovery.
They're already dead. Why not just respawn? If some jerk comes along to grief when actual squad mates were going to help, they'll just shoot the prick and proceed to actually help.

What's he going to do otherwise? Dump your carcass over a tower wall or into the water? Yeah... totally screwed you... that bastard...
Old 2011-07-30, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

No, I think you're not really thinking this through, you'd have to attempt a few in-field rezzes to truly understand how bad trying to can be.

It does take some time to rez, more than long enough for a medic to be shot up and killed. If a medic can rez from behind cover, then it just makes sense for that medic to drag a downed ally behind cover with them then pick them up. No smart medic is going to dash out 12 meters to recover a body, he'll just become another body himself in the process. But a mere 2 meters can make a difference. Last I checked, people don't come back with full stam and armor, just health. They're sitting ducks while they get reoriented and start the slow walk to the nearest cover to recover. A drag ability can handle the cover portion nicely.

I still consider my point valid. I know it looks cool and cinematic, and, once again, I'm NOT against it. I can even state that there's no CRAZY UNSTOPPABLE grief option bound to it. And even more - it IS useful, if you can drag a body out of the line of fire to call in a medic for further ressurection.
But.
My whole point is that the ability is most likely to be underused. Thus - wasted development time.
Old 2011-07-30, 10:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Bravix
Sergeant Major

I still consider my point valid. I know it looks cool and cinematic, and, once again, I'm NOT against it. I can even state that there's no CRAZY UNSTOPPABLE grief option bound to it. And even more - it IS useful, if you can drag a body out of the line of fire to call in a medic for further ressurection.
But.
My whole point is that the ability is most likely to be underused. Thus - wasted development time.
Fair enough, your opinion is your own. I haven't played medic in Planetside for a few years, but I've played it in games which do have the drag ability and it is an amazing tool to have at your disposal.
Old 2011-07-31, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Hyncharas
First Sergeant

I think dragging a teammate out of fire would be cool, but it opens up a can of worms... if this gameplay was added they would also have to add ragdoll physics to playermodels, and the studio already stated they don't plan to change the hitboxes they had in PlanetSide.

Without ragdolls it might work but it wouldn't look right, which is why the majority of MMO developers don't have them in their games.
Old 2011-08-02, 01:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Trying to "HotRez" in a basefight is like riding a motorcycle down a busy road wearing a blindfold instead of a helmet!

Even pulling out your Medic or BANK to top yourself up while in cover too close to the front line of an indoor base fight can be a death sentence sometimes! A bunch of enemies burst through and there you are with your pants down, having a bank!

The ability to drag downed friendies to a dedicated rez point in a more secure part of a half-way captured base for example, brilliant!

This would give squishy cloakers and support infantry an extra role to play in indoor fights, where thier 20% maxed out air-cav or armor skills are useless.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault