Could BFRs work better with the new resource system? - Page 17 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We lub teh fisheh!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-18, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #241
Mirror
First Sergeant

Re: Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
No it isn't. We're talking about mechs now.
mechs bfrs they are very similar and have no place in a game like this. every ps player should remember these things as one of the big factors that near ruined the first game. let's not be stupid here and ruin the second by doing the same thing.

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2012-03-18, 04:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #242
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
mechs bfrs they are very similar and have no place in a game like this. every ps player should remember these things as one of the big factors that near ruined the first game. let's not be stupid here and ruin the second by doing the same thing.
We don't want to do the same thing and neither do the devs. So who exactly are you arguing against?
Old 2012-03-18, 05:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #243
artifice
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
There are many of us that disagree with you. No one wants the BFR repeated, but I believe there is room for mechs within Planetside 2. If done right, I think they can add a whole new dimension to the game.
Old 2012-03-18, 05:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #244
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
We don't want to do the same thing and neither do the devs. So who exactly are you arguing against?
"
Old 2012-03-18, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #245
PrISM
Staff Sergeant

Christ the King...enough with this BFR horseshit already. If you want to ride around in a mech all day long and jerk off, go play Mechwarrior. Stay away from Planetside.
Old 2012-03-18, 09:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #246
PredatorFour
Major

I feel BFRs could be implemented into the game alot better than in PS 1. For start with headshots coming into the game you could give BFRs better hitpoints too e.g. if you blow its leg off it cant walk, shoot its arms so it cant hurt you, if you blow its head off it falls to the ground .. dead.
Could also give them more weak points, less armour etc..
Old 2012-03-18, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #247
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by PrISM View Post
Christ the King...enough with this BFR horseshit already. If you want to ride around in a mech all day long and jerk off, go play Mechwarrior. Stay away from Planetside.
This is such a fatuous argument. You've no need to lower yourself to such levels.
Old 2012-03-18, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #248
Checowsky
Corporal

Originally Posted by PredatorFour View Post
I feel BFRs could be implemented into the game alot better than in PS 1. For start with headshots coming into the game you could give BFRs better hitpoints too e.g. if you blow its leg off it cant walk, shoot its arms so it cant hurt you, if you blow its head off it falls to the ground .. dead.
Could also give them more weak points, less armour etc..
Yeah because the hitboxes on the original BFR weren't a massive FPS drain in the first place. Over 50% of the playerbase left due to BFRs and it wasn't just because they weren't balanced. The very way they worked ruined the fluidity of vehicular combat. They tried to make a unit that would define the front line of a battle and what they did was ruin the way combat flowed with tanks moving in and out. If you wanted mechs in the game they'd end up just being yet another version of a tank, else they'd ruin combat again, with an FPS and latency drain for the animations and hitboxes.

I say we don't bother, PS with just tanks was much more fun. Go play Mechwarrior online when that comes out.

Old 2012-03-18, 10:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #249
PredatorFour
Major

Checowsky i never said i was infavour of BFRs, so im not gunna go "play mechwarrior when that comes out" . I was just offering advice on how they could be implemented better in PS 2.

Wild idea i know, but regarding the hit boxes, they might of actually changed the game engine for PS 2 who knows ....
Old 2012-03-18, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #250
Kran De Loy
Captain

I am disgusted that this thread has had so many people dragging it out while the thread about the PSS1 deal is dead.

Fucking priorities people.
Old 2012-03-18, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #251
Fenrys
Major

Are people still talking about controlling pixels on a screen using an input device? WTF, why don't you just go play Pong?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-18, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #252
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by PrISM View Post
This is how many PS players feel. The mech BS keeps prepetuating because we have a handful of vocal idiots who are hell bent on getting mechs of some form into the game with no concern whatsoever to the vehicle balance, the role they play, or the impact on the overall game.

http://john-smedley.livejournal.com/1300.html
It's interesting how many comments we get about BFR's. Well you can stop sending the "please don't put BFR's in PS Next" emails. They aren't in there.
And more recently reconfirmed regarding Mechs
https://twitter.com/#!/BrewkoPS/stat...16942525984768
@planetside2 is there going to be mechs for any faction? I know ps1 added them with the expansion.
@insanehiro @planetside2 Nope, there will be no BFR's.
Old 2012-03-18, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #253
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
heh, still can't tell if you're being sarcastic. If you are you should know there is a huge group of people that probably watched Transformers when they were kids (before my time) that think transforming stuff is cool. The only game I know of that has something like that is Starhawk which is a mech transforming into a plane. I haven't played it though. The only thing close to that in PS1 was the AMS, Flail, or the Swithblade deploy operations which made them go through an animation. I haven't played SC2. I think that game has something like a mech turning into a plane if I remember the gameplay videos I saw when it came out. Not sure if that was in the final game though.

You bring up a good point though. Some people find transforming "cool" but are against it because they think it would make vehicles favored over others that are "lame". That's one of the reasons I prefer each vehicle to have abilities and a high level of customization so people that specialize them have a lot of choices. That is always a problem when introducing something subjectively "cool" into the game. However, it should also be mentioned that a lot of people find that stuff you find cool extremely lame and wouldn't use it which is nice in a game to add variety. Like people that find tanks cool and hate mechs. They don't want to see mechs that are cooler than tanks. Which is exactly why I've always proposed they have weaker weapons between a lightning and a tank. You don't want the developers to favor something for balance either. Keeping it as a simple vehicle is much easier to deal with.
Hehehe, was not trying to be sarcastic, but knew it could be taken that way because of the one liners I post lately.

I've been mostly watching this heated debate and wish both sides would be more civil, but hey this is the Internet and most people don't mind being anonymous and rude.

If biped robots show up, I would still play. If balance was an issue or concern, then let the tanks transform into one instead of making one from scratch. That is if the tanks are balanced in the first place.

Primary and secondary cannons = arms
Top/front armour = chest/shoulders
Rear/undercarriage = backside/legs

Biped mode advantages:
Limited jump (not jets)
Torso twisting and firing while running
Crouch
More maneuverable, can strafe
Can shoot into valleys

Biped mode drawbacks:
Bigger target
Slower than tracks or hover
Limb damage can be debilitating (guns/legs can be destroyed)
Cannot transform back when limb destroyed

Tank stats (armor, dps) would remain the same as we know them as well as the side grades. Driver would become head, gunner would be chest.

For the crowd that doesn't like them, just stay a tank.
Old 2012-03-18, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #254
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

So basically if you like something, it's plausible, but if you don't like something, it's implausible.
Something is plausible when it makes sense within the context. Civilizations learning to create and use nanites and then using the nanites to assemble things is plausible, for example.

Something is implausible when it does not make sense within the context. Civilizations going to war with each other and deciding to design and use an unnecessarily expensive and impractical vehicle when a variety of more sensible options are available is implausible, for example.

Two pneumatic legs and a cockpit (if they were to even have legs), is a hell of a lot simpler than resurrection.
Punching yourself in the genitals is easier than making an omelette. What is your point? And if what were to have legs? Are you suggesting that we use some form of legless mechanized walker?
Old 2012-03-18, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #255
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
This is how many PS players feel. The mech BS keeps prepetuating because we have a handful of vocal idiots who are hell bent on getting mechs of some form into the game with no concern whatsoever to the vehicle balance, the role they play, or the impact on the overall game.
You sound like you have no concept of vehicle balance. If you actually read the posts for mechs, they are taking vehicle balance into consideration and looking at mechs as merely a chassis from which to start from. Posts like yours just reiterate the point that people against mech chassis are posting only because they think they don't look "cool" or are afraid they'll overshadow other vehicles. It's kind of a narrow viewpoint that we've been attempting to educate people on. Your fear toward a balanced vehicle is going to really hold you back when the developers introduce new things.

You can try to hold onto an idea that "oh it's just a few people" or "they want BFRs", but I think you know exactly what they're asking for. Just a normal vehicle that utilizes a chassis type you fear. You can try to spin the conversation to BFRs and try to create strawman implementations that overlap with other vehicles that already overlap themselves or you can face reality and realize it's just a vehicle chassis.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-03-18 at 09:47 PM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion