Is this PC rig good for Planetside 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You mean Planetside isn't a real place?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2013-02-14, 06:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Crimsonace
Private

Question Is this PC rig good for Planetside 2

So I have my old PC and I'm looking to upgrade it to:

Manufacturer Custom Computer

Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 710 Processor, MMX, 3DNow (3 CPUs), ~2.6GHz

Memory 16GB RAM

Hard Drive 640 GB + Cosair SSD (not sure which one)

Motherboard AMD A10 -5800K -quadcore, 3.8GHZ

Operation System : Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Video Card NVIDIA: GTX 660

Monitor Plug and Play Monitor (BENQ G2220Hd)

Soundcard Realtek HD Audio output

Keyboard USB Root Hub

Mouse USB Root Hub

What settings could I run my potentially new PC at? and at how many FPS? Should I change anything? So far I am just changing: Motherboard, RAM, Operating system and graphics card. My budget is around 580USD.
Old 2013-02-14, 06:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
HiroshiChugi
Captain

Re: Is this PC rig good for Planetside 2

You're going to need better equipment if you want the most out of Planetside 2. I was watching a video on YouTube of a guy messing around on PS2 and he had to buy 1,000 USD graphics card to stream at the highest quality but his words were, "I know its a big jump from $500 to $1,000 but it's well worth your time. The graphics improvement is well over your expectations. It's by far the best thing I've bought for my rig."
Old 2013-02-14, 06:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by Crimsonace View Post
So I have my old PC and I'm looking to upgrade it to:

Manufacturer Custom Computer

Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 710 Processor, MMX, 3DNow (3 CPUs), ~2.6GHz

Memory 16GB RAM

Hard Drive 640 GB + Cosair SSD (not sure which one)

Motherboard AMD A10 -5800K -quadcore, 3.8GHZ

Operation System : Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Video Card NVIDIA: GTX 660

Monitor Plug and Play Monitor (BENQ G2220Hd)

Soundcard Realtek HD Audio output

Keyboard USB Root Hub

Mouse USB Root Hub

What settings could I run my potentially new PC at? and at how many FPS? Should I change anything? So far I am just changing: Motherboard, RAM, Operating system and graphics card. My budget is around 580USD.
Try and aim for a Intel i5 2500K CPU, and a 660TI and you will be able to run the game on high with decent FPS. And you dont really need 16GB of ram. 8 is plenty.

Last edited by Pella; 2013-02-14 at 06:52 AM.
Old 2013-02-14, 06:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by HiroshiChugi View Post
You're going to need better equipment if you want the most out of Planetside 2. I was watching a video on YouTube of a guy messing around on PS2 and he had to buy 1,000 USD graphics card to stream at the highest quality but his words were, "I know its a big jump from $500 to $1,000 but it's well worth your time. The graphics improvement is well over your expectations. It's by far the best thing I've bought for my rig."
So buy a 1000USD gpu only for streaming in high details or just get a decent video capture card for 250 bucks and go with a 350 bucks gpu.
Looks like a smart purchase.
Old 2013-02-14, 07:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
thegreekboy
Master Sergeant

I'm no expert, but I would say it looks like your CPU is semi-bottlenecked
Old 2013-02-14, 07:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Crimsonace
Private

So I decided to get an I5 intel as well. I guess that's within my budget. maybe not the Ti the price difference between Ti and 660 doesn't look worth it.
Old 2013-02-14, 08:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by Crimsonace View Post
So I decided to get an I5 intel as well. I guess that's within my budget. maybe not the Ti the price difference between Ti and 660 doesn't look worth it.
If you wont spend an extra 20 bucks on a TI model. I suggest looking at ATI. If you dont care about PhsyX from Nvida card go the ATI route and get a 7950 card which is cheaper and allot better than a vanilla 660.

I5 2500K, Buy a decent cooler, And they are amazing to overclock. Got mine stable at 4.6ghz.

Last edited by Pella; 2013-02-14 at 08:13 AM.
Old 2013-02-14, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Kerrec
Master Sergeant

I'm with Pella.

Reduce your Ram to 8GB. Then with the extra money, get the best Intel CPU you can afford.

I would also get rid of the sound card. Buy some USB headphones instead.

If you're going to spend money, get the best combo of Motherboard, CPU and RAM. Later on, if you get the chance, you can always upgrade the GPU for a nice bump.

The alternative is to get "meh" Motherboard, CPU and RAM and a really good GPU. If you ever want to upgrade, then you're pretty much stuck.
Old 2013-02-14, 08:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Crimsonace are you building this on your own or through a computer builder? What country are you buying from also?
Old 2013-02-14, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Anyway I don't really understand your list there...You have a Phenom X3 currently?
Why is your the "Motherboard" you listed a CPU, not a motherboard (An A10 is a Trinity CPU, not a motherboard)?
What are you listing root controllers?

Yeah, absolutely cut form 16gb to 8gb of ram to bump to the 660Ti (The price difference is worth it, really...look at the benchmarks. You can also get an AMD card at the 660's price point that's pretty good)...but you've got other problems first. First and foremost, don't get an APU. That's got a big integrated graphics chip that you have absolutely no use for.
The FX-8350 CPU is the only AMD I think I'd really go for at this point. Otherwise get an Ivy Bridge i5.
I'd stay away from the Corsair SSD, go Samsung, Intel or Crucial IMO. But if it's the difference between getting into the FX or i5 cpu...just drop the thing entirely. Intermittent loading times are more bearable than crappy FPS all the time.

Comments on the rest of the thread:
$1000 graphics cards are for people with more money than sense.
USB headphones are a scourge to sound quality (and build quality), in my experience.
(Not that it really matters, Realtek HD is motherboard-integrated sound...some of you don't seem to be reading or are maybe not fit to be giving advice)

Never skimp on something to get an awesome something else. Ex. Don't do something silly like buy an i7 and $300 motherboard and then pair that to a GT640 "because you can upgrade it later". You're just wasting money on that 640. Do something balanced like i5 and $100 motherboard, and wow you can get a 660ti in the same budget and the whole thing will be pretty damn good.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2013-02-15 at 08:32 AM.
Old 2013-02-15, 12:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ailos
Contributor
Major

I'm with Rbstr. You listed a Trinity APU as your "motherboard". There are worse things to buy, but if playing PS2 is on your list, then that A10 is scraping the bottom. I also can't understand whether the stuff you listed is what you have now or stuff you're wanting to upgrade to.

You gave us a budget, and that's a good start. In that, depending on where you live, you can fit in an Ivy Bridge i5 with a new mobo and 8 GB of fast RAM (faster memory is preferable for PS2), and upwards of a 660Ti/7950 or possibly even a 670/7970 for that kind of money, assuming you don't need to upgrade your power supply.

I'd leave the HDD alone - SSDs are nice, they make everything feel more fluid and immediate, but in the scope of gaming, all they do is reduce load times. Given the pricing, the $100 spent on an SSD is better placed getting you the i5/670 combo.

Don't bother with aftermarket heat sinks or any CPUs ending in a -K. Given everything else posted in this thread, overclocking is out of the question, so you buying anything beyond an i5-3550 is throwing money in the trash can.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum