What I want to know about Stealthing - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: please be ready to show proof of your sense of humour.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-03-17, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

well, you ssem to want the damn thing so bad, so i'd say the republic would be pretty damn interested in holding the thing.

And you don't think the people in your empire won't be reporting you for destroying the very consoles they want to use?! I know I would!
well, thats why i would boot you out of a garrison i had command of, because you don't understand handing equipment to the enemy and saying, "here, use this" is a really fucking bad idea.

Which means they can get into bases, evade your precious 'patrols' and 'sentries' (which, by the way, assumes a perfect patrol system working 24/7 with enough people at the exact right times. Your defense assumes perfection at all times.
You assume im not constantly attacking your base and beating the shit out of your outposts at all times, this is a test, and tests assume optimal conditions. Besides, with the kind of gear your scraping up, you think were not gonna expect and attack, i would use scouts you know, these are important things to know.

BTW you'll never drag 5 Galaxies, a properly certed group of stealths, enough MAXs of the correct type, enough Armor and enough Infantry in 20 minutes or so, that could potentially take weeks to organize. Hell, i doubt even Sturmgrenadier could field a force like that without at least 2-3 hours of prep time, and when i see people massing tanks, i start being careful
Old 2003-03-17, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

damn, this is quite a post!!!

now all thats left is for some one to drop a MF or 2.
Old 2003-03-17, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
RageMaster
Corporal

Its a pointless post as it's quite obvious neither of them will ever reach a high command level.

Incompetent, I'd report you to the admins for blowing up a console in a base I was at. People will need to use them and its a huge grief to your own faction. You will not be appreciated within your faction, and you ceirtainly won't recruit many members with that attitude. Not everyone would see it as a 'counter-stealth' tactic, they'd probabally TK you for it infact.

I think both of you are presuming way way too much about this game, you haven't even played it! How can you defend your argument in so much detail when most of what you're arguing about is up in the air to all of us!

Furthermore, your talking about huge operations, with 20 plus members per outfit, needing certs that people probabally wont see for the first month of the game, all localised under your own command (which from the maturity of things in this topic look unlikely) with a flawless communication system, all doing what you say to the word, and without considering outside elements, like other players doing their own thing.

Hell, the games in beta, not even the dev's know how the game will turn out in the end.

All I will say is I'm a strategically minded player, and I have the capacity to learn the best and most entertaing uses for stealth, and look forward to exploring the Infiltration Suit. Incompetent, realise that you WILL be outsmarted by an Infiltrator atleast once in your PlanetSide carreer, and Molecular, realise to be as sucessful as you claim you will be you have to be VERY slick and on the ball to play an Infiltrator, dont think you won't fail lots.
Old 2003-03-17, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
mr_luc
Sergeant Major

Pshaw.

Whiny baby.

I'm not worried about that at all. I don't care if you turn totally visible the second you start to move.

My single biggest worry is that they'll won't make the player model for AT REST players COMPLETELY INVISIBLE, NOT DRAWN AT ALL.

Because all it takes is a minor driver hack, and boom, no transparency. This isn't that big of a problem for moving -- I would assume whenever I'm moving that someone is going to see me, so I would try to only move when no one is around. Hacked drivers might let you see someone who is moving -- *I CAN LIVE WITH THAT*. But when I'm standing still, I had better damn well be totally invisible, not drawn, and my position not sent to their client. I mean, that can't be too hard to code, can it? If he's standing still, he is totally invisible?

I would still play the game. But I really, really want there to be a viable stealth component along with all of the other great things I am reading about this game.
Old 2003-03-18, 04:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Incompetent by name Incompetent by nature eh!?

Psh. Or you sneak in, hack a locker, grab an AI MAX, and waste people.
You have to actually have placed an AI MAX in your locker AND have the certs to use it.

won't work, first off, you can;t get an AI MAX out of a locker, you have to get it out of an invo station, invo stations=high traffic=lots of them, so the second you hack an invo, you just got an entire room shooting at you, not to mention you have to become visible to hack.
Will work, first off you CAN get an AI MAX out of a locker, you put it in there in the first place. When you hack lockers you actually access your own global locker, just like the banks in EQ.

Your right about the likelyhood of the hack not working due to high traffic though. But paticence is a virtue and you wait until theres noone around - and it WILL happen as the world is sooo big. Then of course theres the time it takes to switch your inventory etc.

But dont diss the scenario just because this guy seems like a 1337 wanabe. Althou Im scared that he wants the same start of certs as me (hack, infil, wraith).

oh, and the second you step inside, i have a perfect, impossible to miss shot if i even think i see a flicker. I can just spray a corridor, and since you decloak when hit, then i can spray YOU, even without detection gear.

look, the way i see it, cloaking is always too powerful, or too weak, its never balanced and i'm glad they decided to nerf it before it drove everyone insane.
I think its gonna work just fine. Your just a sadly so single minded you will not accept anything other than "grunt powa".

Also, you only get ONE pistol, so if you bring a REK, the only thing you can defend youself with is a knife and knife v anything with bullets and a clue=owned
Not true. You can carry the pistol in the pistol slot, the knife in the knife slot, plus you get your inventory (in my case filled with a REK and ACE, SP says this is possible as this is the loadout he has on a stealther).

Last edited by mikkyT; 2003-03-18 at 06:16 AM.
Old 2003-03-18, 05:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

Its a pointless post as it's quite obvious neither of them will ever reach a high command level.
Incompetent, I'd report you to the admins for blowing up a console in a base I was at. People will need to use them and its a huge grief to your own faction. You will not be appreciated within your faction, and you ceirtainly won't recruit many members with that attitude. Not everyone would see it as a 'counter-stealth' tactic, they'd probabally TK you for it infact.
I don't want to reach a high command level, all i want to do is drive an APC, but destroying things you can't defend is a viable tactic. And i think its funny people think that blowing up a few rudundant consoles would be a "huge grief." major edit: another thing i find funny is how many people say they will tk their squadmates if they don't follow orders exactly, but a few redundant equipment consoles so you can consolidate to better positioned and easier to defend equipment consoles, i mean, what did they ever do to deserve that.
Will work, first off you CAN get an AI MAX out of a locker, you put it in there in the first place. When you hack lockers you actually access your own global locker, just like the banks in EQ.
Um, no, you can't, the devs have personnally stated that the ONLY place you can change armors is an equipment console
Incompetent, realise that you WILL be outsmarted by an Infiltrator atleast once in your PlanetSide carreer
A few times, but those would be negligable to the number of times that you send the enemies plans into a corkscrew because you eliminate the forces he is relying on to destroy your outer defenses and disrupt
Furthermore, your talking about huge operations, with 20 plus members per outfit, needing certs that people probabally wont see for the first month of the game, all localised under your own command
completely invalidates everything if its not a a large operation, because you couldn't just take it with a few MAX suits overrun the garrison in the blink of an eye and hack the base with a reinforced. It also completely invalidates everything if you don't give me equal forces, because i would have just been overrun anyway

Last edited by Incompetent; 2003-03-18 at 06:24 AM.
Old 2003-03-18, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

But when I'm standing still, I had better damn well be totally invisible, not drawn, and my position not sent to their client.
I was speaking to Zataris, albeit on a related issue (hacking, cheating, examining packets ala ShowEQ) and as far as we're concerned, the server will not send anything that the client is not supposed to see.

For example, your on one side of a hill, an army on the other. You cannot see thru the hill or behind the hill. The server knows this, and will not even send the packets of data related to any object behind the hill, because you cant see behind the hill. This is to elliminate packet sniffing. There is no point in sniffing packets as the only data contained within the packets is data you know already.

Therefore, it stands to reason that this eliminate cheating code will be implemented across the board, as the dev team seem to have done a good job with the above they arent going to screw up by allowing stealthed peeps to be visible thru a gfx hack, cos you aint gonna get any data about peeps u cant see!
Old 2003-03-18, 06:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Um, no, you can't, the devs have personnally stated that the ONLY place you can change armors is an equipment console
Didnt realise this
Old 2003-03-18, 07:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

Why are you guys on Incompetent for a tried and proven strategy? He's talking about consoles that are about to be turned against you. Take out a few near where the breach in the defenses is, and when it's quiet again in that section, have an engineer repair them. It's a lot better than Inf. guys coming in and grabbing Reinforced/Lancer or MAXs inside your perimeter. It's the same strategy as the Russians during Napolean's and Hitler's campaigns. Scortched earth. If the enemies about to take it, it's better for it not to exist anymore.

Edit: I do not, however, agree with him on stealth. But that's just me.

Last edited by NeoTassadar; 2003-03-18 at 07:37 AM.
Old 2003-03-18, 08:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
simba
Major

LOL TALK ABOUT QUOTES!
hihihhi one against infiltrators and one who wanna be one fighting with eachother, couldent be more funny

anyway the infiltrator has a 3X9 inventory only, one knife and ONE pistol. Im pretty it has 3X9 in inventory anyway.
ill search for a pic of the almost invisible infiltrator, the more the guy with stealth suit moves, the more its visible
here it is http://www.planetside-universe.com/m...php?img_id=571
Old 2003-03-18, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

THX Simba! Now that rocks..., yes you can see him, thats cos hes 1 foot away and moving!!

I'll see if I can find the thread about standard stealth load out. But Im sure its 3x9 too, enough to fit REK & ACE
Old 2003-03-18, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I want my, I want my, I want my, Stealth hack free

Go here if you want your hack-free stealthing questions answered and bump the post:

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/001684.html
Old 2003-03-18, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
simba
Major

ey np mikky just glad I could help, nice to be appreaciated
and thx for the adress
Old 2003-03-18, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Moleculor
Sergeant

Why are you guys on Incompetent for a tried and proven strategy?
Because his strategy is either impossible to impliment or truly griefing.

I enter base as a stealther alone, without any attack going on outside, through an alternate entrance.

I find a console.

This is where Incompetent says that I won't be able to do anything, because the console would have been destroyed by him.

Firstly, if it is destroyed, and there is no actual attack taking place outside, he either has psychic abilities, and can know when I'm coming, what direction I'm coming from, and which consoles to destroy, OR he has simply destroyed all consoles near the surface.

The first is impossible, as he doesn't have psychic powers, and the second will be percieved as griefing (and indeed WILL be griefing).

This is not a scorched earth scenario where they're fighting us off. This is where someone slips in without someone knowing.

And if he's going to say "Well, all consoles will be guarded, or destroyed!" then he's both advocating griefing, and deluded about how much time the random Joe will want to spend standing around defending something when there isn't an attack going on.
Old 2003-03-18, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

Why can't we just consolidate to a few groups of consoles because we know that if we don't, we're vulnerable?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion