New Map/Deploy screen - Thoughts? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: pimpin' since '02
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-18, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Assist
Contributor
Major

New Map/Deploy screen - Thoughts?

Personally, I hate it. I hate having to go through menu's to see the information. I hate that finding and clicking on spawn points is harder. I hate that I always forget to spend my infantry resources since it's not right in my face when I hit the map button. I hate the new instant action too!

I do like the purdy colors. I'll get used to it eventually. but not a big fan so far.
Old 2013-03-18, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Loban
Private

Re: New Map/Deploy screen - Thoughts?

The only thing I truly dislike is the fact that the green spawn locations (the little ovals, squad beacons, and sunderers) are nearly impossible to see, especially against the NC blue regions.
Old 2013-03-18, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Dragonskin
Major

I like it for the most part. When playing with my son it was easier to coordinate where to redeploy or spawn at. I like that I didn't have to go to a separate tab for deployment. I liked the faction specific war alerts blinking on the hexs over the generic yellow for all factions now. I like that you can click on the map to spawn where you want if it is a option instead of having to find it on the list to the left. I don't really like the drop downs for faction population or to change information displayed on the map though.

Overall I think it's an improvement, but can still be better. Is the instant action button tied to the attack mark on the map? I was confused about where instant action would send me. Could just be an oversight by me though.
Old 2013-03-18, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

its a bit better. Thew new IA isn't a good fix, but more feature change than the map issue. I hate the fact you cant tell where you are going until after you IA, nothing more frustrating than to use it and end up on a dead continent and have to head back to the warp gate. maybe if it showed the location of your IA it would be better. or maybe its there and I never saw it.

But I do like being able to set a way point and then deploy on the same screen rather than deploy then bring up the map and set my way point. I like the new customization and class menus as well.

I do wish there was an icon, maybe a small portrait somewhere of your character which when you push it it pings your current location on the map. the flashing TR regions its hard to see the yellow arrow of where you are. But I dont want it to zoom in, cause then I have to zoom out and hope I can still see my icon.

Last edited by Rahabib; 2013-03-18 at 10:10 AM.
Old 2013-03-18, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I dont mind the look of the screen so much but the functionality of the instant action has made me cut back on those quick gaming sessions.
If I had 30-60mins free I liked the ability to decide where I wanted to play based on the deploy choices made available to me.

Its even made it harder to get someone you are showing the game to spawn in the same spot as you and get into a fight asap, together.

Now its just hit and miss and I cbf.
Old 2013-03-18, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Snydenthur
Master Sergeant

I would like to have the borders back. It's just a minor thing, but somehow it just made it easier to look at the map.

Also, it feels like deploying is more random now. I mean, if I die, it's not always possible to deploy to nearby regions even if they are under attack, but then again, I have the possibility to spawn at a region that's far away from where I died. It did the same thing on the old deploy screen, but not nearly as often. Maybe there's just something I don't know about deploying?
Old 2013-03-18, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
mrmrmrj
Sergeant

I don't like that Instant Action will move you to a different continent. I don't like that I cannot look at the other continents from the map screen (or if you can I don't see how).

Everything else I like.
Old 2013-03-18, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

To see the other continents hit the drop down arrow next to the name of the continent.

Much like everyone else I too think they need to improve the information given for IA. I like that the spawn icons are different. I want my resources being displayed all the time. Having to hit the option to see it is a pain.

Old 2013-03-19, 05:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Getting chucked across to an near empty continent except for the 12 v 12 fight going on at a Bio Lab is a pain in the arse.
I could see at least 3 better option on the continent I was already on.
Happened twice tonight and in the end I just logged off, I cbf using it if its going to work like that.
It has to be changed so it at least keeps you on the continent you are on instead of this random bullshit.

Why did this from GU02 need changing, I was under the impression that it was very popular?
  • Hotspots have been reworked. They have a much more visual representation on the map and are dependent on more precise and up-to-date activity metrics. Also, the color of the hotspots is now tied to the empire that is dominating the area
    • With this change, "Instant Action" and "Hotspots" are no longer synonymous. Instant Action is meant to take you to a large fight where there's already a significant amount of allies. Hotspots are visual cues for where fights are, regardless of whether you have a significant amount of allies there or not.

Bloody annoying.
Old 2013-03-19, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hamma
PSU Admin

Personally I think the spawn icons are a bit harder to see, and I think pop information should always be available not hidden under a menu.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-19, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Personally I think the spawn icons are a bit harder to see, and I think pop information should always be available not hidden under a menu.
My Republic for test server!

They really need to have us test out these changes before going live, SOE seems to have this thing with UI updates, one leg going forward in a positive while the other leg is yanked back wards by some other insidiously bad UI choice and we end crotch strained over it.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-03-19, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Levente
First Sergeant

its worse then before thats for sure. change it back ASAP
Old 2013-03-19, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
PredatorFour
Major

Yeh i don't think it's as good as the previous screen for the same reasons above.
Old 2013-03-19, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
HiroshiChugi
Captain

Originally Posted by Loban View Post
The only thing I truly dislike is the fact that the green spawn locations (the little ovals, squad beacons, and sunderers) are nearly impossible to see, especially against the NC blue regions.
No they aren't... xD
Old 2013-03-19, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Falcon_br
Captain

I finally got used to it, but in they one, I was almost shooting myself in the head because I could not find those small icons to spawn on the map.
Some of my squad members are not able to see my spawn beacon on the map, most of the time when I place it behind enemy lines.
I am also requesting a new feature to the spawn beacon, mouse 2 or select fire = self destruct, in public squads, sometimes people spawn at the beacon that I placed in the last base, 2 km away, because I didn´t have the opportunity to place a new one in the base, so an option so self destruct it is welcome.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion