Battle Rifles - Scout Rifles: Anyone use them? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I dont have anything clean enough to contribute.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-27, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
SGOniell
First Sergeant

Re: Battle Rifles - Scout Rifles: Anyone use them?

I use a Warden, and a full-auto scout rifle (don't remember the name), though I should say "used". The warden's shots don't travel anywhere near fast enough, and the bullet drop sucks. Pretty terrible weapon. Highly disappointed with that purchase.

I had bought the full-auto scout rifle for firefights, but it kicks too hard for that really, SMG's are a better way to go.
Old 2013-03-27, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Juryrig View Post
I'm curious to understand your reasoning on that? I always think of LA as pretty much a close-quarter class.

Are you thinking of them using mobility to get into good ranged sniping positions that other classes couldn't access?
Its a stretch to call its sniping. But the LA is great at getting into odd positions behind the enemy where you get shots in the 30-70 meter range.
Old 2013-03-27, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

The problem with the Battle Rifles is they directly compete with Sniper Rifles at the ranges they should be ideal for. So they had to be designed to be worse than Sniper Rifles, which makes them bad all around.

I wanted to use the Warden, I like the idea of it. But a really long pistol with worse cof and recoil is not really something I can justify using.

Old 2013-03-27, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Juryrig
Master Sergeant

I have to admit I use the warden on my NC much less than the Eidolon on my VS. But then I hardly play my NC....
Old 2013-03-27, 08:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Erendil
First Lieutenant

I use the Eidolon quite a bit when playing Engie. It's a good support weapon to have for when you're sitting back just behind the front lines repping vehicles, playing ammo monkey or guarding an AMS. Its long range and higher damage per shot lends itself well to taking advantage of opportunity fire, taking potshots at enemies that are engaging your friendly troops ahead of you at the point of contact, repelling footzergers running towards your base from up on the walls and tower balconies, etc.

It's also good at suppressing enemy snipers and killing Phoenix users and Engies using MANA turrets at very long range when they think they're far enough away to be safe and so let their guard down. Plus, since Engies have unlimited ammo it lets you put out a continuous stream of high-damage bullets directed at enemy positions from quite a long distance. People really don't like getting hit by a Battle Rifle so it's quite useful for suppressive fire at long range and at choke points. You may not kill them but they'll definitely run for cover and keep their heads down. It works much like the Lasher in that regard.

That said, I rarely use it as HA since its damage is somewhat lackluster for this more direct killing-oriented class. It needs to hit harder in order to be a viable alternative to a long range LMG option like the SAW, TMG-50, or SVA-88.
Old 2013-03-27, 09:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

I don't use them.

I was saving up for an Artemis or Nyx, but the SMG's made these weapons completely obselete.
But rest assured...
Fucks will be given!
Old 2013-03-27, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Spazmodian
Private

I have an auraxium medal with the Warden. My normal setup is 2x Reflex, Forward Grip and Compensator. I also have the BDS x6, 1x Reflex, 3.4x, NVS and Flash Suppressor. The Warden is easily my most used weapon. I also use a GD-7F and Mauler S6. I acquired the Warden very early and up until then I was skewed a bit towards the AC-X11. 95% of my playtime is as an engineer, and most of that is as an infantry engineer.

Overall I prefer the feel of the Warden. However, both the GD-7F and Mauler are clearly superior weapons.

What I've suggested before on the official forums to improve all the battle rifles:

Large bump in projectile velocity, up from 500 to the 700-750 range. This would make them the fastest infantry projectiles in the game and this would be their niche.

ADS COF while crouched should be 0 instead .1. Keep the standing ADS COF at .1.

Push the fall off ranges out. Warden is 250 @ 10m down to 200 @ 85m currently and I'd push that out to 250 @ 25m down to 200 @ 125m.

I would have the same sort of treatment for scout rifles, and obviously VS weapons would take some different values based on the lack of projectile drop.
Old 2013-03-27, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Bodido
Private

Pump actions with slugs are better battle rifles than the actual battle rifles. Try them out in Vr. Very fun, but I feel kind of gimped when using it compared to carbines. I use it as LA at times. Great countersniper setup.
Old 2013-03-27, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Rothnang
Major

I use a battle rifle on my engineer, but it really isn't a very good weapon. It really doesn't have a significant advantage at range since accuracy doesn't mean all that much in a multiplayer title where people never stand still. I mean, you play something like the new Bioshock and it's night and day, in that game the enemies will stop moving when they fire to aim, and that means a highly accurate weapon has a big advantage on hitting weakspots. In a multiplayer game like PS2 that doesn't simulate accuracy in a more realistic way you pretty much always shoot at moving targets, so there is little advantage to a highly accurate weapon. You're much better off having a weapon that gives you a higher chance of random hits.
Old 2013-03-28, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Koadster
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Bocheezu View Post
AMR-66 is an OK option for TR engies because T5 AMC is lackluster (at best)

T5 AMC -- 0.55s TTK with 0.1 ADS accuracy
AMR-66 -- 0.54s (0.1)
Pulsar C -- 0.52s (0.03)
AC-X11 -- 0.48s (0)

Beyond 50m, I just go with TRAC-5 or TRAC-5 S and hope for the best
Bro, do you even T5?

Its a good gun, almost a carbon copy of this new NS carbine too. Just needs a more sit back accurate shooting then run/gun due to 650rof.

To the OP, I use the HSR-1 on my Infil because its a 3 body shot kill, Which is pretty good. The AMR66 is good for Engies looking for longer range shooting, on HAs is pretty useless when I could use the TMG50 for long range so if they added it to LAs would give a bit more versatility to it and it certainly wouldnt be OP giving it to LAs because well.. the BRs arent killing machines to begin with.

MuNrOe : Eat a Dick sandwich TR
Old 2013-03-28, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Juryrig
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bodido View Post
Pump actions with slugs are better battle rifles than the actual battle rifles. Try them out in Vr. Very fun, but I feel kind of gimped when using it compared to carbines. I use it as LA at times. Great countersniper setup.
A bit of testing in VR shows this to be accurate which just doesn't seem right at all.

*edited to add* VR doesn't translate to real-world, for me at least. Should have saved the SC/certs. Oh well.

Last edited by Juryrig; 2013-03-28 at 05:57 PM.
Old 2013-03-28, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Binkley
Sergeant

I use the Shadow semi-auto scout rifle with my infiltrator for run-n-gun at 50-100M ranges. It's nice in that field south of Ti Alloys, for example, but of limited use overall. I trialed a Warden and didn't like it. Not nearly as good as a SAW with a 4x or 6x for my heavy assault sniper.
Old 2013-03-28, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
AThreatToYou
Major

The deal with the Scout Rifles is that they have sniper-level accuracy & damage without scope sway. I'm not sure about the battle rifles, but I'd assume they are the same deal. During the beta, I thoroughly enjoyed a VS scout rifle and the HSR.

However, now I play NC. For NC, we have things like the AC-X11, the Gauss SAW, and Reaper DMR which can mount 6x scopes and deal a hefty 200 damage per shot. It's as good as an automatic scout rifle, 'cept the auto-scout rifles are available for the infiltrator. Before the SMGs were added, I might have recommended a scout rifle.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-03-28 at 09:26 PM.
Old 2013-03-28, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Rothnang
Major

Battle rifles have no scope sway, but the biggest scope you can put on one AFAIK is 6x, and it takes two headshots + a love tap to kill someone.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion