"Higby pls" process explained - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma and teh pimp hat! Oh YEAH!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-22, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
ringring
Contributor
General

Re: "Higby pls" process explained

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Yea, I think we did realise it pretty early and that did lead Figgy into suggesting that continent copies could be taken and duplicated to provide a world with more continents to work with, but of course that was being desperate and not correct.

We've known all along where we would end up and if we did the devs must have done too.

The real 'meta game' in the first year has been one of being patient and hanging on until the additional continents arrive and we can have Planetside rather than Continent-side three times over. I think I've lost that game.
Old 2013-06-23, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Rolfski
Major

I wasn't involved in this game until beta and by then it was already clear to me that their top priority was to get the basic shooter mechanics right. They wanted to make a great shooter on a massive scale above anything else and go from there. Meta game and more continents (which apparently take a lot of time to make) could wait until after release.

Was it a good decision? Time will tell but the whole thing of agile development is that you have to get it out at some point.
There's no way they could have designed a better looking PS 1 in that time frame, there's way too much content in that game for that, so they had to set priorities.

My expectation is that we have the basic meta game mechanics (including 1/2 continents/ battle islands) up and running by PS4 launch. As it would make sense to have something of a finished product on a next gen console that has to go up against block buster titles.
Old 2013-06-23, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
omega four
Staff Sergeant

If that was SOE's goal (to make PS2 a great shooter), then I'm not sure they succeeded.

I find PS2's infantry gameplay mechanics to be clunky at best compared to other FPS games, which handle infantry gameplay much better.

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
I wasn't involved in this game until beta and by then it was already clear to me that their top priority was to get the basic shooter mechanics right. They wanted to make a great shooter on a massive scale above anything else and go from there. Meta game and more continents (which apparently take a lot of time to make) could wait until after release.

Was it a good decision? Time will tell but the whole thing of agile development is that you have to get it out at some point.
There's no way they could have designed a better looking PS 1 in that time frame, there's way too much content in that game for that, so they had to set priorities.

My expectation is that we have the basic meta game mechanics (including 1/2 continents/ battle islands) up and running by PS4 launch. As it would make sense to have something of a finished product on a next gen console that has to go up against block buster titles.
Old 2013-06-24, 02:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

PS2 is a much better shooter than PS1 ever was, so in that respect I think they got their priorities right.

What they got wrong IMO, was dropping various key features from PS1 that would have fitted fine with their new shooter model, but were dropped anyway and replaced with untested (and ultimately inferior) alternatives. The lattice, dedicated MBT drivers and scaling XP (for capture and support as well as kills) are all great examples of this - things that should have been in PS2 from the start.

Old 2013-06-24, 06:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Qwan
Captain

I have to agree with Gatekeeper, there were many game mechanics that should have came over from PS1 to PS2, but you have to remember prior to release, Higby said this will not be a cut and past of PS1. When I heard him say that I knew there were going to be a lot of changes that I would have to get used to . But I mean the cookie cutter classes, the identical maps (I.E. minus the terran), but im a patient person and I as the months go by I see more PS1 mechanics leeking into the game. As I continue to play Im really starting to like it more and more, and to be honest im in no rush for a new continent, or even content. I want them to balance what they got, so that way when the new continents or content comes out, it will be a smooth transition. I think the dev team is doing great, and they should keep the GU's rolling out each month, and Ill keep logging in.
Old 2013-06-24, 07:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Unhappy Re: "Higby pls" process explained

Originally Posted by Qwan View Post
I have to agree with Gatekeeper, there were many game mechanics that should have came over from PS1 to PS2, but you have to remember prior to release, Higby said this will not be a cut and past of PS1. When I heard him say that I knew there were going to be a lot of changes that I would have to get used to . But I mean the cookie cutter classes, the identical maps (I.E. minus the terran), but im a patient person and I as the months go by I see more PS1 mechanics leeking into the game. As I continue to play Im really starting to like it more and more, and to be honest im in no rush for a new continent, or even content. I want them to balance what they got, so that way when the new continents or content comes out, it will be a smooth transition. I think the dev team is doing great, and they should keep the GU's rolling out each month, and Ill keep logging in.
I'll keep logging in too. It's just that by now a lot of people have invested themselves and their money into the game, and have high expectations. Now that these expectations aren't being met (on time) they start getting upset.
Old 2013-06-24, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
omega four
Staff Sergeant

While I too will log in to PS2 from time to time, it's just the opposite for me with regards to my expectations.

My expectations are quite low now. It's clear to me that as well-meaning as SOE and PS2's developers are, they're inexperience at times (and cluelessness at others) will inevitably doom PS2 to mediocrity or worse.

Since I've gotten my money's worth out of PS2, I bear no ill will towards SOE, PS2, or its developers. My only thoughts are that PS2 could have been so much more. It's a shame whenever there is lost potential and the promise of opportunity that is wasted or squandered.

Originally Posted by EvilNinjadude View Post
I'll keep logging in too. It's just that by now a lot of people have invested themselves and their money into the game, and have high expectations. Now that these expectations aren't being met (on time) they start getting upset.
Old 2013-06-24, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

I QUIT LAYING PS1 FOR THE BASIC REASON IS IT BECAME BORING (so damn repetitive).

However, it was EXTREMELY ADDCITING THE FIRST YEAR or TWO.

So, if PS1 was good enough to inspire PS2 .... one would think they would have KEPT THE GOOD STUFF .... and consistently worked on minimizing boring game mechanics.

Why reinvent the wheel ? IMPROVE IT.

Why they chose to turn their backs on so many of the good core mechanics of PS1 is beyond me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it ?

I DID NOT WANT PS1 WITH BETTER GRAPHICS. I WANTED PS2. An evolution of everything good from PS1 with changes & improvements.

......If it ain't broke but it could be better .... IMPROVE IT ..... don't give us THIS PS2 ..... completely unproven & untested content. Really ?

Unfortunately, it appears as if the guys at the top had some preferences for BF, COD, ...... that don't fit PlanetSide. They rolled the dice, and tried to make a game more to their liking & where they thought the FPS market would/should evolve to. They missed the mark.

..... can they start over ? Can they fix what they currently have ? Can they do it before the game dies ? We shall see.

When PlanetSide came out, there was nothing like it. What we have now is not cohesive enough or compelling enough.

PS2 isn't boring because it's too repetitive over time. PS2 is boring because ...... it lacks soul. They only needed to make PS1 better, not different.

I did not play at all this weekend. I did not miss it at all. When I miss playing this game - I'll know they've gotten themsleves back on track.

I'm not mad at anyone. I'm a tad disillusioned, but hey, that's life.

I was encouraged when Malorn joined their team. Perhaps they need 10 more with his PS1 background to help turn the tide away from the BF & COD mentality .... and get to what needs to be a 100% PlanetSide mentality. A PlaneSide mentality that takes tiny gameplay elements from other FPS titles that serve to ENHANCE PlanetSide .... NOT make it CopyCatFPSside.

...and just because another FPS title draws big numbers - does not mean there aren't other good games PlanetSide should draw from. BEING DIFFERENT IS not only entertaining & fun, it's ESSENTIAL TO THIS BRANDS SURVIVAL.

Last edited by Chaff; 2013-06-24 at 10:34 AM.
Old 2013-06-24, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by Chaff View Post
I QUIT LAYING PS1 FOR THE BASIC REASON IS IT BECAME BORING (so damn repetitive).

However, it was EXTREMELY ADDCITING THE FIRST YEAR or TWO.

So, if PS1 was good enough to inspire PS2 .... one would think they would have KEPT THE GOOD STUFF .... and consistently worked on minimizing boring game mechanics.

Why reinvent the wheel ? IMPROVE IT.

Why they chose to turn their backs on so many of the good core mechanics of PS1 is beyond me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it ?

I DID NOT WANT PS1 WITH BETTER GRAPHICS. I WANTED PS2. An evolution of everything good from PS1 with changes & improvements.

......If it ain't broke but it could be better .... IMPROVE IT ..... don't give us THIS PS2 ..... completely unproven & untested content. Really ?

Unfortunately, it appears as if the guys at the top had some preferences for BF, COD, ...... that don't fit PlanetSide. They rolled the dice, and tried to make a game more to their liking & where they thought the FPS market would/should evolve to. They missed the mark.

..... can they start over ? Can they fix what they currently have ? Can they do it before the game dies ? We shall see.

When PlanetSide came out, there was nothing like it. What we have now is not cohesive enough or compelling enough.

PS2 isn't boring because it's too repetitive over time. PS2 is boring because ...... it lacks soul. They only needed to make PS1 better, not different.

I did not play at all this weekend. I did not miss it at all. When I miss playing this game - I'll know they've gotten themsleves back on track.

I'm not mad at anyone. I'm a tad disillusioned, but hey, that's life.

I was encouraged when Malorn joined their team. Perhaps they need 10 more with his PS1 background to help turn the tide away from the BF & COD mentality .... and get to what needs to be a 100% PlanetSide mentality. A PlaneSide mentality that takes tiny gameplay elements from other FPS titles that serve to ENHANCE PlanetSide .... NOT make it CopyCatFPSside.

...and just because another FPS title draws big numbers - does not mean there aren't other good games PlanetSide should draw from. BEING DIFFERENT IS not only entertaining & fun, it's ESSENTIAL TO THIS BRANDS SURVIVAL.
When PS2 inspires videos like this:
Old 2013-06-24, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Qwan
Captain

Originally Posted by omega four View Post
While I too will log in to PS2 from time to time, it's just the opposite for me with regards to my expectations.

My expectations are quite low now. It's clear to me that as well-meaning as SOE and PS2's developers are, they're inexperience at times (and cluelessness at others) will inevitably doom PS2 to mediocrity or worse.

Since I've gotten my money's worth out of PS2, I bear no ill will towards SOE, PS2, or its developers. My only thoughts are that PS2 could have been so much more. It's a shame whenever there is lost potential and the promise of opportunity that is wasted or squandered.
Yea I feel ya, I currently keep logging in to hang with my buds and run some alerts and even some missions sometimes. I mean without small outfit task we just roll with the zerg and try to make the best of it. And ya know sometimes on the weekends when we got like 30+ outfit members online and are running somthing like an ops ... it almost feels like the good old days.
Old 2013-06-24, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
PS2 is a much better shooter than PS1 ever was, so in that respect I think they got their priorities right.

What they got wrong IMO, was dropping various key features from PS1 that would have fitted fine with their new shooter model, but were dropped anyway and replaced with untested (and ultimately inferior) alternatives. The lattice, dedicated MBT drivers and scaling XP (for capture and support as well as kills) are all great examples of this - things that should have been in PS2 from the start.
Why they left some PS1 features out that apparently worked well and could also work well under the new f2p business model like scaling/sharing XP and lattice, I don't know.

For other changed features like single crew tanks and class system, I can see why they did it. For f2p to be successful they need a lot more players compared to PS1 so they went for a bigger, more casual shooter audience, used to being able to do everything solo from the start.
Old 2013-06-26, 06:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Rolfski
Major

Btw, I found this article about Chris Roberts' 10 million dollar crowd funded Eve Online competitor called Star Citizen, quite insightful. It does a good job of explaining how agile software development really impacts the quality of his work.

What's even more interesting is that he takes this principle to a whole new level by getting out parts of the game (like ship hangar and dogfighting) first before releasing any alpha. Quite cool I must say, people can already buy ships to support development and then walk around them, configure them, go into the cockpit and show it to their friends when the Hangar app gets released:

Last edited by Rolfski; 2013-06-26 at 07:16 AM.
Old 2013-06-26, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Wahooo
Captain

Nice, Star citizen looks like it may end up the game I've wanted since I first played Wing Commander.
Old 2013-06-26, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

.....who was she ? .... I want to be her "wing" Commander .........
Old 2013-06-26, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Hamma
PSU Admin

I've been really impressed from what I've seen with Start Citizen, I hope they can pull it off.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion