AP Land Mines - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Game Over SUCKA!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-20, 10:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
OctavianAXFive
Staff Sergeant

AP Land Mines

Typically I'm not a fan of land mines in FPS games. But in PS2 I completely understand them. That said, they annoy me anyway.

My usual encounter with AP mines is when I'm heading up a lift. The obvious place for them as the person riding the lift is completely helpless when they get off and are going to step right on it. Before the towers were changed some guy always flew around just placing mines at the top and while it was never critically important, it was annoying.

Now the gut reaction to this is making a special "no mine" zone at the top of lifts to prevent helpless infantry from being gibbed but that's kind of a bandaid.

I'm thinking we need a mine sweeper utility for engineers or something. Perhaps as an alternative to the repair tool, something that can be certed into.

It can look much like the repair or heal gun, just make it so that you have to ADS and it sends out pulse waves that light up mines up to a certain distance based on certs.

Then just have it so that the engineer can clear the mine by left clicking it for a few seconds (again determined by certs) and the mine detonates itself.
Old 2013-03-20, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: AP Land Mines

I agree mines do my head in, especially when placed at the receiving end of teleporters. As to being placed on the lifts. I can see that being annoying as balls but you can affect where you land slightly so it's only about as bullshit as parking an engy turret on the landing spots for jump pads. Which is to say, kinda bullshit but not game breaking.

Really what we need are jammers.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-03-20, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
I agree mines do my head in, especially when placed at the receiving end of teleporters. As to being placed on the lifts. I can see that being annoying as balls but you can affect where you land slightly so it's only about as bullshit as parking an engy turret on the landing spots for jump pads. Which is to say, kinda bullshit but not game breaking.

Really what we need are jammers.
So you want to throw a grenade at a place your think might have a AP mine as a solution? I mean if you are rounding that corner, landing on a jump pad or coming out of a teleporter then you have zero time to hit it with a grenade to begin with. I don't really see the jammer helping much for the places that really annoy people.

Night Vision works well for spotting mines. It's still probably not going to save you from really well placed mines, but any of those sloppy ones sitting in the center of a doorway, hallway, in the open near an objective.. you will be able to see them before you step on them and shoot them to make them explode.

Otherwise flak armor prevents mines from instagibbing you if you have enough ranks of it. I am pretty sure I can walk over a mine with my engineer in his flak armor and survive. I've survived some close calls with mines before.
Old 2013-03-20, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Dragonskin View Post
So you want to throw a grenade at a place your think might have a AP mine as a solution? I mean if you are rounding that corner, landing on a jump pad or coming out of a teleporter then you have zero time to hit it with a grenade to begin with. I don't really see the jammer helping much for the places that really annoy people...
True, they're not really applicable in the most annoying situations such as teleporters and jump pads but you can bounce one off a door frame at a cap point or gen room.

Plus there are a number of things I would accept or do or have done to me to get Jammers back in.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-03-20, 11:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
True, they're not really applicable in the most annoying situations such as teleporters and jump pads but you can bounce one off a door frame at a cap point or gen room.

Plus there are a number of things I would accept or do or have done to me to get Jammers back in.
I'm not against Jammers. I didn't play PS1, but I read the link and they sound cool. Almost like the EMP grenades that Infiltrators have that in my opinion are lacking in effectiveness.

I'm not against new toys, but it didn't really fit for the reason you mentioned it. You can toss a grenade at objectives and around corners which will set off any mines near by. If you wanted a more precise throw sticky grenades from engineers could accurately pull off what you wanted too.
Old 2013-03-21, 01:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
OctavianAXFive
Staff Sergeant

I don't usually have trouble with mines in the middle of doorways or in large battles. That jammer does seem cool but it wouldn't help solve the annoying mine problem. Which is really what this is about. AP mines as a whole don't really have anything wrong with them, they just get used in very annoying ways. Something to help counter that would be nice. I didn't realize night vision made them more noticeable.

On a side note: I'm tired of flak armor being the only real viable option. Night vision is plain silly and I'm tired of my shields taking forever to recharge too. That's a different discussion though and I'll refrain from changing topics in my own thread :P
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion